News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

I don't know if I can get the exact location linked up, but this morning, I decided to explore the "mountains" of Farmingville, New York, and I spotted this sign on Tower Hill Road:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.845105,-73.030645,3a,30y,270h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdqIzSi4bfQNaF05QH6j0GA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Then I kept going towards the west end, where the old Telescope Hill fire tower used to be. It's now the home of the radio tower of WALK-FM in Patchogue, and some unusual supplements for Dead End signs.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.845016,-73.031846,3a,75y,270h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXkqVO2RVdNLsMsHWs2cGAw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

http://www.walk975.com/

The tower for WALK-AM is just east of the first link.

Fortunately, the tower for WUSB in Stony Brook is on Lidge Drive just west of here.

iBallasticwolf2

Forgive me if this is normal practice nowdays, (I don't think it is) but this KEEP RIGHT tab for the Mitchell Avenue Sign seems very unusual.
iBallasticwolf2
DISCLAIMER: The OH 562 sign IS NOT a canadite for this thread.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

jeffandnicole

You mean the 'Keep Right' tab? :-)

And no...that looks like it was taken off another sign, such as a ground mounted sign with smaller letters.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 05, 2015, 08:54:45 AM
You mean the 'Keep Right' tab? :-)

And no...that looks like it was taken off another sign, such as a ground mounted sign with smaller letters.

Didn't realize my mistake. This just doesn't seem very widespread having those KEEP RIGHT borders.

Kacie Jane

I would bet money that the Keep Right is patched over something, and somewhere between measurement and production of the patch, something went a little wonky.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Kacie Jane on August 05, 2015, 12:39:51 PM
I would bet money that the Keep Right is patched over something, and somewhere between measurement and production of the patch, something went a little wonky.

That would make sense considering the site of the photo has been the site of major construction recently.

Kacie Jane

Probably patched over a distance to the exit that's no longer accurate then (and/or still subject to change).

P.S. We haven't mentioned that it's in Clearview yet?

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Kacie Jane on August 05, 2015, 07:37:21 PM
Probably patched over a distance to the exit that's no longer accurate then (and/or still subject to change).

P.S. We haven't mentioned that it's in Clearview yet?

From what I remember the distance to Mitchell Avenue from that sign assembly (Also the gore point of the southbound I-75 to eastbound OH 562 ramp) has always been the same. It could have to do with the recent construction at the interchange.

I never noticed it was in Clearview probably because the only fonts I can tell are between button copy and the rest of the fonts.

SignGeek101

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on August 05, 2015, 07:39:41 PM
I never noticed it was in Clearview probably because the only fonts I can tell are between button copy and the rest of the fonts.

I'm no expert, but here is something that maybe can help with mixed case situations. Button copy is almost always FHWA fonts (I have seen Arial button copy, not kidding).

Some letters, (like h) are pretty difficult to differentiate. The numbers 1,2,6,9 I think are the easiest numbers to differentiate.

jbnv

Quote from: SignGeek101 on August 06, 2015, 12:18:51 AM
I'm no expert, but here is something that maybe can help with mixed case situations. Button copy is almost always FHWA fonts (I have seen Arial button copy, not kidding).

I thought I saw Clearview button copy somewhere. I'm tempted to say that it was in Ohio. Unfortunately I have no picture and Internet search on "Clearview button copy" returns no evidence.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

iBallasticwolf2

Some letters, (like h) are pretty difficult to differentiate. The numbers 1,2,6,9 I think are the easiest numbers to differentiate.

Thanks for the picture. After anyalizing the sign picture a little more to see signs of Clearview it seems that the St. Bernard part of the sign is not in clearview because the a is an FHWA style.

vtk

Quote from: jbnv on August 06, 2015, 09:38:19 AM

I thought I saw Clearview button copy somewhere. I'm tempted to say that it was in Ohio. Unfortunately I have no picture and Internet search on "Clearview button copy" returns no evidence.

The consensus among folks here who pay attention to such things is that button copy Clearview does not exist.  Were an example to show up, it would be a big deal on probably more than one thread on this forum.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

myosh_tino

I present to you two unique signs from California...

Yes, that's an external exit tab on an overhead sign, a rare sight in California.

Blue-on-white sign announcing the pending opening of the I-580 Express Lanes through the Livermore Valley.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Pete from Boston

Wow, never saw a large blue-on-white guide signs.  Might have seen blue-on-white for small pole-mounted signs for local destinations (Yankee Stadium?).  Hard to read against the blue sky background.

formulanone

California's SR 91 has Express Toll lanes with HelveticArial button copy, but only for overheads in those lanes.

I saw a blue-on-white guide sign for a municipal airport, along I-35 in Ankeny, Iowa.

Florida uses orange-on-white for their "agricultural inspection stations" along the interstates.

Michael

I saw this picture on Reddit a few weeks ago:

Last night, I saw this on Imgur:

According to the Reddit thread, it's in Peekskill, NY.  Here are the signs in Street View.

vdeane

Quote from: myosh_tino on August 06, 2015, 01:49:52 PM

Yes, that's an external exit tab on an overhead sign, a rare sight in California.
IMO that's the best looking sign in all of California.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

My friend posted this on Facebook a while back:

I'd give him credit but I'd rather not give away his identity.

EDIT: The sign is at "Confusion Corner" in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: vdeane on August 06, 2015, 05:42:21 PM

Here's an amen to that! I simply :love: that sign.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

kkt

Well, it really should say NORTH above the I-5 shield.

jakeroot

Quote from: kkt on August 07, 2015, 10:53:48 AM

And is there any particular reason for the yellow background behind "SECOND RIGHT"? Is that normal for California?

SignGeek101

Quote from: jakeroot on August 06, 2015, 10:12:02 PM
My friend posted this on Facebook a while back:

I'd give him credit but I'd rather not give away his identity.

EDIT: The sign is at "Confusion Corner" in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

All this time living in Winnipeg, and I haven't seen that sign. I'll have to swing down to confusion corner (which I see often) and take a pic, before its replaced into Clearview.

kkt

Quote from: jakeroot on August 07, 2015, 10:57:53 AM
Quote from: kkt on August 07, 2015, 10:53:48 AM

And is there any particular reason for the yellow background behind "SECOND RIGHT"? Is that normal for California?

It's probably because exit 461 is an exit only.  Normally the "exit only" would be posted past exit 460, but exits 460 and 461 are so close together they thought drivers should have extra warning to get over?

theline

kkt

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.