News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 29, 2016, 05:24:53 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 28, 2016, 08:17:14 PMMost New England states won't duplicate state routes with US routes and interstates.  The only exception I can think of is I-295 and MA 295, which are over a hundred miles apart and only exist because they are extensions of roads that connect to another state.
Don't forget about US 3 & MA 3; granted MassDOT treats those as one route based on the mile markers.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 28, 2016, 08:17:14 PMPA will duplicate interstates and state routes (if far enough away), but generally will not allow duplicates of state routes and US routes
I-283 & PA 283 plus US 222 & PA 222; although the latter is likely viewed as one route.

US/PA 222 is consideted by PennDOT to be a single route (SR 222). PA 283 is officially SR 300.

New York allows for duplications because Interstates are considered to be NY XXXI. US 2 is, likewise, NY 2U. Of course, the US/NY 7 duplication might be the most confusing, as they are separated by 4 miles with at least one assembly containing shields for both US 7 and NY 7.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Ian

Quote from: bzakharin on June 29, 2016, 03:06:59 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 28, 2016, 08:17:14 PM
Most New England states won't duplicate state routes with US routes and interstates.  The only exception I can think of is I-295 and MA 295, which are over a hundred miles apart and only exist because they are extensions of roads that connect to another state.  NJ and DE are the same.
While it is true that NJ has a zero duplication policy (except for county routes), Delaware is pretty horrible. Both DE 9 and US 9 cross DE 1. DE 202 intersects US 202 and is in fact the thru route because US 202 enters I-95 at that interchange.

I pass by this assembly pretty frequently, and I can imagine it's confusing for motorists who don't know both of those are separate roads. If you can't tell from the unnecessary censoring by Google Maps, the bottom shield is for DE 202.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

freebrickproductions

On the subject of route duplication, Alabama doesn't duplicate US Routes with State Routes (so there won't be a US 31 and an AL 31), but they do allow duplicates of Interstates. However, they seem to exist far enough away from the respective interstates that it doesn't really affect anything.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

SignGeek101

Posted at the most accident ridden intersection in the city.

High Collision Location Sign
by Sign Geek, on Flickr

I feel like the problem may have to do with the traffic lights and the speed that motorists go on both roads intersecting.

opspe

freebrickproductions

A few weird signs I found in Florida:

Odd "Watch for Children" sign in Port St. Joe, saw a number of them through-out the rest of the area as well:
Odd Watch For Children Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

An I-10 trailblazer with a 3di blank near Chattahoochee:
To I-10 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

"Slow Hump Ahead" in Quincy, FL, IIRC:
Slow Hump Ahead by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Slow Hump Ahead by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

An odd pedestrian crossing(?) sign in Panama City, FL:
Odd Pedestrian Crossing Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Odd Pedestrian Crossing Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

And now for a few Alabama signs:

The "East" on this sign on I-65 appears to have been an afterthought:
Exit 181 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

A malformed AL 271 shield in Montgomery. This appears to be a 3-digit variant of those ugly AL 33 shields in Moulton, AL: :crazy:
State-named I-85 Shields on BGSs by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

The shields on the sign on the right also look to be a bit low: (photo taken by my brother)
State-named I-65 Shield on BGS by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mapmikey

Quote from: hbelkins on July 12, 2016, 01:49:31 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 12, 2016, 12:24:26 AM

Is this an invitation, or an advisory that there's an opportunity for voyeurism ahead?  :-D :-D :-D

My guess is the latter, since the window is already fogged up...

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 12, 2016, 01:51:28 PM

Is this an invitation, or an advisory that there's an opportunity for voyeurism ahead?  :-D :-D :-D

My guess is the latter, since the window is already fogged up...
I honestly don't know, all I know is that it's now my forum avatar. :-D

(They/Them)

7/8

Hopefully no one has posted this already...

I found these signs in Quebec (I specifically saw them a lot in the Eastern Townships) to be both creepy and funny at the same time

It roughly translates as "Watch our children as if they were yours"

thenetwork

paulthemapguy

Quote from: thenetwork on July 12, 2016, 05:15:04 PM

Only on Wednesdays.

hahahahaha
Guess what dayyyyyyyyyy it iiiiiiiiiiiiis!!  :bigass:
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

noelbotevera

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 12, 2016, 10:18:55 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on July 12, 2016, 05:15:04 PM

Only on Wednesdays.

hahahahaha
Guess what dayyyyyyyyyy it iiiiiiiiiiiiis!!  :bigass:
Today is Wednesday. So where do I slowly hump ahead?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Bluenoser

Quote from: 7/8 on July 12, 2016, 03:47:49 PM
Hopefully no one has posted this already...

I found these signs in Quebec (I specifically saw them a lot in the Eastern Townships) to be both creepy and funny at the same time

It roughly translates as "Watch our children as if they were yours"

I've also come across that sign in some francophone communities in New Brunswick as well...here's a bilingual two-fer from Grand-Cascapedia on SB R-299, a few miles north of New Richmond:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@48.2618479,-65.8923037,3a,75y,248.39h,78.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNMAZ68Mwk7-dbf6nPpurjA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

chays

Found in Lake Wales, FL, this morning.  If only the truck wasn't floating, it might fit.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

7/8

This one is uncommon (at least in Ontario at least). Usually we post pictorial merge signs instead. This sign is on River Rd just south of Ottawa Rd N in Kitchener. The dark background also looks ominous.

This sign on Midland Dr (also in Kitchener) looks very old-fashioned. I like the hiker, but the pennyfarthing is what makes me laugh. Even my family likes this one :-D There are a couple others similar to this in the area.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

chays

I don't have a refined eye like some folks here do, but this seemed like an ugly Florida outline.  What do you think?.  Found in Titusville:

SignGeek101

7/8

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 16, 2016, 10:30:07 PM
Never seen this one before. Does it really need to be said?

https://goo.gl/maps/4XauGUJ8qBF2

Good find! :) Even if there was a street on the right, why would that sign be necessary?

roadfro

Quote from: 7/8 on July 16, 2016, 10:49:38 PM

Good find! :) Even if there was a street on the right, why would that sign be necessary?

Because there are some places where the law prohibits right turn on red unless otherwise signed. From what I understand, New York City is one.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

7/8

Quote from: roadfro on July 18, 2016, 10:00:52 AM
Quote from: 7/8 on July 16, 2016, 10:49:38 PM

Because there are some places where the law prohibits right turn on red unless otherwise signed. From what I understand, New York City is one.

Good point, I guess I should specified that it's weird to see that sign in Ontario.

I found this sign in Waterloo at a single-lane roundabout:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4700063,-80.5951506,19z

Most of the roundabouts I've seen use a regular yield sign at the roundabout, with this sign before the roundabout:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4493811,-80.5909786,19z

The first sign I posted seems like a combination of the yield sign and the second sign, which I think is cool.

7/8

I've noticed that there is a lot of variation in speed limit signs on the municipal roads in Waterloo Region, so I decided to take some pictures. All of these signs were taken in Cambridge, ON.

Here are two standard speed limit signs for reference (both taken on Beaverdale Rd between Hespeler Rd and Maple Grove Rd). The first one omitting the "km/h" is more common on municipal and regional roads, while the second one is more common on provincial highways.

Here are two signs with thin-squarish font. The first one is on Speedsville Rd south of Maple Grove Rd, and the second one is on Old Maple Grove Rd.

This one on Speedsville Rd north of Middle Block Rd has a bold-roundish font.

And arguably the strangest one, this one has a bold font, but also includes the "km/h" as black-on-white together with the rest of the sign!

I've seen a couple interesting ones in Waterloo I plan on taking pictures of next week :)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.