News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7/8

I found this "Stop Before Crossing" sign in Cambridge, ON: https://goo.gl/maps/Nw5rQ2nQGtq. Why not use a stop sign? :confused:

I saw dozens of cars drive by and no one stopped for the railway tracks. But judging from how overgrown they are, I'm guessing they're out of commission, so it's not really necessary.

jakeroot

Quote from: 7/8 on September 29, 2017, 03:50:14 PM
I found this "Stop Before Crossing" sign in Cambridge, ON: https://goo.gl/maps/Nw5rQ2nQGtq. Why not use a stop sign? :confused:

https://i.imgur.com/NfoV5Oq.jpg

I saw dozens of cars drive by and no one stopped for the railway tracks. But judging from how overgrown they are, I'm guessing they're out of commission, so it's not really necessary.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a stop sign at a railway crossing in Canada before. At least not in BC. Not sure they're allowed. Perhaps the local municipality was worried about impacts so they worded the warning sign how they did to reduce liability. Lol

7/8

Here's a few photos taken today in (or around) Montreal, QC.

Black-on-white right-turn lane sign on Boulevard Des Sources at Boulevard Brunswick (instead of the usual white-on-black)

One large arrow shared for two autoroutes

Not really a sign, but Chemin Lucerne between Rue Jean-Talon Ouest and A-40 had these 40 km/h banners on the light posts to try and emphasize the slow speed limit.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 01, 2017, 02:07:21 PM
Look to the left over the yet-to-open I-75 express lanes near Weston, FL. Can't say I've ever seen this sort of thing on a BGS anywhere else.

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.1011334,-80.3605591,3a,75y,24.36h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCnDg1boXhnNZFUIXs4BviQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The bottom panel ought to be yellow instead of green, since the information is more of a warning than a guide.

tckma

D-Dey65

Quote from: 7/8 on September 30, 2017, 06:57:09 PM

Interesting, but I'm too easily distracted by the big Kraft sign and the digital mac and cheese. Is that some sort of factory or distributor there?

thenetwork

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 02, 2017, 08:27:09 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on September 30, 2017, 06:57:09 PM

Interesting, but I'm too easily distracted by the big Kraft sign and the digital mac and cheese.

<BUZZ>  Oooh, i'm sorry...The correct answer in Canada is "Kraft Dinner", or "KD". Those Canooks think the Mac(aroni) and Cheese term is below them.

D-Dey65

Quote from: thenetwork on October 03, 2017, 09:45:03 AM
<BUZZ>  Oooh, i'm sorry...The correct answer in Canada is "Kraft Dinner", or "KD". Those Canooks think the Mac(aroni) and Cheese term is below them.
Just be glad I didn't post with my second guess; A Kraft gas station/convenience store.

roadman65

Inconsistent casing when FDOT decided to go along with Disney and their change of names for Downtown Disney now to Disney Springs.

You think they would align it all upward and use the blank space that once read World Drive.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: jakeroot on October 01, 2017, 08:47:43 PM
Look to the left over the yet-to-open I-75 express lanes near Weston, FL. Can't say I've ever seen this sort of thing on a BGS anywhere else.

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.1011334,-80.3605591,3a,75y,24.36h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCnDg1boXhnNZFUIXs4BviQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The bottom panel ought to be yellow instead of green, since the information is more of a warning than a guide.

Either way, I still can't think of any other sign of that sort above an Interstate-grade highway on which I've seen that sort of message.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Tom958

I've already talked myself out about this on Facebook. Maybe people here will enjoy it. Apologies if it's already been posted.

jakeroot

^^
Nice! Love the creativity, although the spacing needs work.

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 06, 2017, 07:06:17 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 01, 2017, 08:47:43 PM

Either way, I still can't think of any other sign of that sort above an Interstate-grade highway on which I've seen that sort of message.

Definitely not a message I've seen before. I've seen various warnings on overhead signs (the most unique of which said "SLOW MOVING VEHICLES"), but nothing like the sign you posted.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tom958 on October 06, 2017, 08:27:27 PM
I've already talked myself out about this on Facebook. Maybe people here will enjoy it. Apologies if it's already been posted.

Does the split occur between the two lanes?  Per the sign, both lanes are two the left of the split?  And that split should be a bit wider to clarify that it's truly a split.

Tom958

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 07, 2017, 07:53:49 AMDoes the split occur between the two lanes?  Per the sign, both lanes are two the left of the split?  And that split should be a bit wider to clarify that it's truly a split.

I dunno. What this sign tells me is that I need to beware of a WTF ahead.  :awesomeface:

(I'm getting my second wind...)

I'm more interested in the green part of the sign. with that two-headed arrow that bears no resemblance to anything found in the MUTCD. There's no reason why the US 69 split wouldn't have been adequately and accurately indicated by using straight arrows, with additional signage (visible beyond) at the split. I also surmised from the previous discussion that roadgeeks tend to be forgiving of serious design mistakes as long as the presentation looks good.  :rolleyes:

freebrickproductions

IMHO, it's an arrow that's needed though, if it's the middle green arrow that's the one that you're talking about. IMHO, it shows that a lane that exits is also an option lane for another exit right before it. It gives more accurate information to the drivers, so you're less likely to have people stay in that lane thinking it's a through lane.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

This is what the sign tells me...

Lane 5: Quivira Road SOUTH
Lane 4: Quivira Road NORTH and US-69
Lane 3: US-69 and I-435
Lane 2 and 1: I-435 with a brief median

Correct? Can't tell from GMaps.

Eth

Quote from: jakeroot on October 07, 2017, 03:29:44 PM

Having had plenty of time to study the sign, I would agree with this interpretation. On the fly at highway speed, though, I might be misled by the fact that the second head of the lane 4 arrow is pointing directly at "Quivira Road NORTH" and not at US 69.

jakeroot

Quote from: Eth on October 07, 2017, 04:13:23 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 07, 2017, 03:29:44 PM

Having had plenty of time to study the sign, I would agree with this interpretation. On the fly at highway speed, though, I might be misled by the fact that the second head of the lane 4 arrow is pointing directly at "Quivira Road NORTH" and not at US 69.

That is definite issue. My suggestion would be to remove the "EXIT" plaques (keep the "ONLY" plaques), scoot the right-most vertical divider over to the right, lower the "NORTH" and "SOUTH" messages down a bit (towards their respective arrows), and then finally, scoot the second-to-right vertical divider over so that it's just to the right of the taller curved arrow. Mostly MUTCD-spec at that point. Although the MUTCD is, arguably, the reason that people might have a hard time interpreting this sign.

D-Dey65

roadfro

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 10, 2017, 10:05:05 AM
A sign for a donut shop in Lima, Ohio doing double-duty as a street name signpost.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14696209@N02/37550489286/in/dateposted/

Zoom in...the street name signs are actually attached to a tall pole (akin to a street light pole) that is just behind the donut sign pole from this camera angle. You can see the metal pole top next to the donut.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

tckma

A sign for a donut shop in Lima, Ohio doing double-duty as a street name signpost.

That kind of reminds me of this sign for a butcher shop in Manchester, MD -- also used to hold up a street blade sign:

https://goo.gl/maps/RRCqRJpAeAk

kkt

Quote from: formulanone on September 27, 2017, 07:19:20 PM
Bad curve?

Found on Rhode Island 117 near Washington, RI:

This is a curve that has stepped off the straight and narrow and needs to turn its life around.

D-Dey65

Quote from: roadfro on October 10, 2017, 10:58:44 AM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14696209@N02/37550489286/in/dateposted/

Zoom in...the street name signs are actually attached to a tall pole (akin to a street light pole) that is just behind the donut sign pole from this camera angle. You can see the metal pole top next to the donut.

Aww, crap!

MCRoads

A diagrammatic sign in Oklahoma! And it is actually good!

How does one imbed an imgur image here?
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.