News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Rare to see a uni-sign in Florida like this US 19/98 junction:

19USb by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 21, 2019, 11:53:13 AM
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7882/46691971232_554b2e0bb4_k.jpg

I am certain that single-letter cardinal directions are prohibited, but a cool sign nonetheless. Especially with it being black, a rarely-used color from what I've seen.

jakeroot

Saw this sign used several times along Linden Ave N in Seattle, along a stretch with the two-way protected cycle track (which is also next to a wide pedestrian path).

I consider it mostly unusual because it goes to the very edges of the diamond, which few other warnings signs do, from what I've seen.

The same sign is posted on both sides. Street view: http://bit.ly/2R4hkCx

hbelkins

Quote from: jakeroot on January 21, 2019, 03:52:11 PM

I am certain that single-letter cardinal directions are prohibited, but a cool sign nonetheless. Especially with it being black, a rarely-used color from what I've seen.

Tennessee uses them frequently.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on January 21, 2019, 03:59:39 PM

Tennessee uses them frequently.

Black signs or single-letter directions?

Max Rockatansky

I'm fairly certain the sign is Citrus County sourced.  For what it was worth I thought it was a pretty decent looking sign.  Kind of reminded me of the old colorized shields that FDOT used to put up a little bit. 

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

kphoger

Technically not redundant.  (Which is good, considering this isn't the redundancy thread.  :biggrin:)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ipeters61

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jakeroot

Quote from: Brandon on January 22, 2019, 05:59:29 PM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on January 22, 2019, 03:51:12 PM
Redundentcy: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0906584,-72.6262897,3a,15.2y,28.65h,105.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snLZUrr0WGiNRDDOUW2ZBBA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Does it really need both the green ball and the green arrow?

Despite the orbs, it's actually a protected left. The green arrow is displayed to keep traffic moving during the southbound through phase (when the overhead lights would be red). I'm guessing the local agency decided the left turn was the major movement (back when only the major movement needed two signals), so it got two signals, with the slight right (northbound) movement only getting a single arrow.

jakeroot

adventurernumber1

Quote from: jakeroot on January 23, 2019, 01:48:21 AM
Not sure I'm a big fan of writing words at an angle...Bainbridge Island, WA.

It appears that they may have run short of room on the sign, but I concur that it isn't exactly the most visually appealing design.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Scott5114

Quote from: jakeroot on January 21, 2019, 03:55:57 PM
Saw this sign used several times along Linden Ave N in Seattle, along a stretch with the two-way protected cycle track (which is also next to a wide pedestrian path).

I consider it mostly unusual because it goes to the very edges of the diamond, which few other warnings signs do, from what I've seen.

This looks like it could be the flag for an as-yet-undiscovered Nordic country.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

dougI5

This seems like a good place to ask this: the other day I saw a fairly new sign for Washington SR 14, but it had a federal shield, not George Washington's bust. Does anyone have any information about that? Thanks!

Scott5114

Quote from: dougI5 on January 23, 2019, 04:27:38 AM
This seems like a good place to ask this: the other day I saw a fairly new sign for Washington SR 14, but it had a federal shield, not George Washington's bust. Does anyone have any information about that? Thanks!

Like this?

Simple error by the agency that posted it; US-14 has never gone as far west as Washington. If you wanted, you could probably contact the agency and they'd correct it. This mixup happens a lot, though some agencies are more prone than others. I understand Oregon DOT is particularly afflicted.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ipeters61

If something like that is going to happen, it's definitely better to do WINSLOW WAY E (with each letter in "WAY" the same size of course).  That was how they did it in Bloomsburg PA when I was growing up.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

dougI5

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 23, 2019, 05:05:43 AM

Like this?

Simple error by the agency that posted it; US-14 has never gone as far west as Washington. If you wanted, you could probably contact the agency and they'd correct it. This mixup happens a lot, though some agencies are more prone than others. I understand Oregon DOT is particularly afflicted.
Yes, that's it exactly. It's posted on Evergreen highway just off of SR 14 in Vancouver Washington. I should look around and see if there are more in tge area. This is a fairly new sign, not certain if it's a replacement or if somebody decided one was needed. So, just contact WADOT and tell them they made a mistake?

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 23, 2019, 03:21:22 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 21, 2019, 03:55:57 PM

This looks like it could be the flag for an as-yet-undiscovered Nordic country.

More imaginative than most flags I see!

Quote from: dougI5 on January 23, 2019, 03:33:09 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 23, 2019, 05:05:43 AM

Like this?

Yes, that's it exactly. It's posted on Evergreen highway just off of SR 14 in Vancouver Washington. I should look around and see if there are more in tge area. This is a fairly new sign, not certain if it's a replacement or if somebody decided one was needed. So, just contact WADOT and tell them they made a mistake?

Found it on Street View: http://bit.ly/2RaJwUf

Looks like it was installed quite a long time ago, but was recently moved to a taller post a few meters west from where it used to be. I guess no one noticed the issue when they moved it.

Not sure this is a state install. Might be Clark County. WSDOT typically posts unisigns or little green guide signs (LGSs), not piece-meal signs like this.

The other direction's route marker is the correct GW bust.

Quote from: ipeters61 on January 23, 2019, 08:09:52 AM

https://i.imgur.com/sBOfumE.png
If something like that is going to happen, it's definitely better to do WINSLOW WAY E (with each letter in "WAY" the same size of course).  That was how they did it in Bloomsburg PA when I was growing up.

Yeah, I too would prefer the cardinal direction be in the upper right corner.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on January 23, 2019, 05:11:04 PM
Not sure this is a state install. Might be Clark County.

Might be able to find out by looking for an inventory sticker on the back, right?
Male pronouns, please.

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

MNHighwayMan

Honestly, that's really cool. Flashing red arrows are an option in the MUTCD and that's the first time I've ever seen one. Too bad it seems to have been replaced with a FYA.

UCFKnights

Quote from: Brandon on January 22, 2019, 05:59:29 PM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on January 22, 2019, 03:51:12 PM
Redundentcy: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0906584,-72.6262897,3a,15.2y,28.65h,105.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snLZUrr0WGiNRDDOUW2ZBBA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Does it really need both the green ball and the green arrow?
Lately they've been programming the right green arrow to come on with the ball as long as the don't walk signal is on around here. I quite like it, as often at the end of the green ball phase, the next phase is the perpendicular left, allowing a continuous right arrow through that phase. I'd prefer a FYA signal for all right turns with dedicated lanes, but I'll take what I can get.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.