News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcroadguy

Quote from: jakeroot on April 21, 2020, 04:08:48 AM
Quote from: bcroadguy on April 21, 2020, 03:59:03 AM
https://imgur.com/Uyk4tGa

People have previously posted in this thread about finding signs like this in Washington State, but I happened to walk past one near my house today.

Also if anyone can tell me how to embed images that would be great lol

Nice find. These seem spectacularly common in WA but are definitely rare elsewhere. Perhaps yet another sign in BC that seems to have come from Washington State? (Thinking of the HOV "keep left" signs along Hwy 1).

For imgur, right click on the image and copy the address (ends in ".jpg" or ".png") and then paste it in here. Highlight the whole link, and then click the "insert image" button on the far left of the buttons above the reply box. This will automatically add the necessary BBCode elements around the link.

There are 500 other ways to do it, but that's probably the most straightforward.

I'm not quite sure which signs you mean? Most of the HOV signs in WA look pretty different than the ones in BC in my opinion.

Also, thank you!

jakeroot

Quote from: bcroadguy on April 24, 2020, 02:56:05 AM

People have previously posted in this thread about finding signs like this in Washington State, but I happened to walk past one near my house today.

Nice find. These seem spectacularly common in WA but are definitely rare elsewhere. Perhaps yet another sign in BC that seems to have come from Washington State? (Thinking of the HOV "keep left" signs along Hwy 1).

I'm not quite sure which signs you mean? Most of the HOV signs in WA look pretty different than the ones in BC in my opinion.

I was thinking of those "keep left" signs where the HOV lanes go left of a barrier. They're not word-for-word identical to those in WA, but there seems to be some inspiration (especially as regular HOV exit signs are white-on-green, and this is WSDOT-classic black-on-white):

https://goo.gl/maps/yin45FdxrmYXcxaN7

fillup420

bcroadguy

Quote from: jakeroot on April 24, 2020, 12:27:22 PM

I was thinking of those "keep left" signs where the HOV lanes go left of a barrier. They're not word-for-word identical to those in WA, but there seems to be some inspiration (especially as regular HOV exit signs are white-on-green, and this is WSDOT-classic black-on-white):

Oh, ok. I definitely remember seeing signs like that somewhere near Seattle (I remember my mom kinda freaking out because our exit was coming up soon) but I don't remember where exactly. I-405 maybe? This was definitely before they introduced HOT lanes.

bcroadguy

I've never seen a "USE BOTH LANES" sign before. I'm guessing the left lane got backed up full of drivers that don't like merging and the city realized they could get more cars through the intersection if more people actually used the right lane.

Personally I like it when the right lane is empty at intersections like these because it means I can cut in front of the massive line of slow-moving cars in the left lane before there's only one lane :)

tylert120

plain

Quote from: bcroadguy on April 25, 2020, 06:59:28 AM
I've never seen a "USE BOTH LANES" sign before. I'm guessing the left lane got backed up full of drivers that don't like merging and the city realized they could get more cars through the intersection if more people actually used the right lane.

Personally I like it when the right lane is empty at intersections like these because it means I can cut in front of the massive line of slow-moving cars in the left lane before there's only one lane :)

The only place I've seen USE BOTH LANES is on a BGS where traffic on I-64 use C/D lanes to access I-295 in Virginia.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/kZkCxAkVJVtJRksT6
Newark born, Richmond bred

jakeroot

Quote from: bcroadguy on April 25, 2020, 06:10:45 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 24, 2020, 12:27:22 PM

Oh, ok. I definitely remember seeing signs like that somewhere near Seattle (I remember my mom kinda freaking out because our exit was coming up soon) but I don't remember where exactly. I-405 maybe? This was definitely before they introduced HOT lanes.

Mostly common along I-5, especially in the South Sound region (see link below). I can't readily think of others.

https://goo.gl/maps/nK9rA5BpAZck4YK58

Oddly, BC opted to use all-text, whereas WSDOT used a "KEEP LEFT" symbol in addition to text. I'm more used to seeing symbols where the US might use text, so this is an odd change of pace.

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: jakeroot on April 21, 2020, 02:56:33 PM
Quote from: ClassicHasClass on April 21, 2020, 01:49:37 PM

The "no stopping" sign and hazard sign in particular are totes BC. Where in WA was this?

You are referring to the "road to be continued" signs? Very common throughout WA. Here, here (look at the ground), here, here, and here are five that come to mind. There are many more and I could make a list (although at least one has been swallowed up by vegetation).

No, I know about those. I mean the other two signs.

jakeroot

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on April 25, 2020, 02:48:59 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 21, 2020, 02:56:33 PM
Quote from: ClassicHasClass on April 21, 2020, 01:49:37 PM

The "no stopping" sign and hazard sign in particular are totes BC. Where in WA was this?

You are referring to the "road to be continued" signs? Very common throughout WA. Here, here (look at the ground), here, here, and here are five that come to mind. There are many more and I could make a list (although at least one has been swallowed up by vegetation).

No, I know about those. I mean the other two signs.

Oh. So you mean "where in BC?" Because the original photo (with the three signs) is in British Columbia. The only signs in WA are those that bcroadguy is referring to, and which only I linked to.

jakeroot

Almost all of the traffic calming circles in Tacoma show only left and through movements. Is this normal for calming circles? I know it's not for roundabouts, but these aren't those.

csw

The largest stand-alone shield I have ever seen. US 220 NB at the new I-840 northwest of Greensboro, NC. The behemoth is probably four feet wide.

plain

Quote from: csw on April 25, 2020, 05:08:57 PM
The largest stand-alone shield I have ever seen. US 220 NB at the new I-840 northwest of Greensboro, NC. The behemoth is probably four feet wide.

That is just ridiculously big for no reason smdh maybe NCDOT is trying to emphasize that fact that 840 is open there now

plain

Quote from: jakeroot on April 25, 2020, 05:05:11 PM
Almost all of the traffic calming circles in Tacoma show only left and through movements. Is this normal for calming circles? I know it's not for roundabouts, but these aren't those.

I wish Richmond would use these. Most of our traffic calmers have been in place for like 3 or 4 years now and people STILL drive on the wrong side of the island when making a left.

hotdogPi

Quote from: plain on April 25, 2020, 05:55:39 PM

I wish Richmond would use these. Most of our traffic calmers have been in place for like 3 or 4 years now and people STILL drive on the wrong side of the island when making a left.

But it implies that you can't turn right.

Side note: is there anything in the MUTCD banning traffic calming circles in the same way that all-way stops for traffic calming are prohibited?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

jakeroot

Quote from: 1 on April 25, 2020, 06:08:57 PM

I would say a good compromise is showing all movements, rather than just those that interact with the circle. The problem is when they get carried away with only using one type of sign, such as when left turns aren't even possible:

These are especially annoying because Tacoma (and other neighboring cities, like Seattle) have been using calming circles for decades now. I don't understand how these types of errors keep occuring. The engineers (especially new hires) should be familiar with all aspects of their design, operation, and signage needs.

Side note: is there anything in the MUTCD banning traffic calming circles in the same way that all-way stops for traffic calming are prohibited?

My understanding is that calming circles are not intersection control devices like a stop sign. Unsigned intersection rules apply at calming circles (at least in Washington State): give way to all vehicle from the right.

kphoger

meh.

If going on the left side can safely be done 90% of the time, then why bother making them go around the long way?  I might even go on the wrong side only if nobody else were approaching the intersection.

It's not a regulatory sign.  It doesn't at all imply what you can or cannot do.  It's just warning you that some people might be turning left or going straight.  So watch out.

:awesomeface:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ipeters61

I was out driving through some towns in southwestern Delaware today and saw this all text "Do Not Enter" sign in Laurel.  Not sure when it dates from but it looks pretty old.

There were quite a few old signs in the area.  This is an embossed seat belt notice near West Seaford Elementary School.

There were also some interesting signs, including this notice requesting "48 hours notice" for emergencies to open a drawbridge in Laurel.

Just south of Blades on Seaford Road is an end of speed limit sign, something DelDOT has deprecated.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

plain

Quote from: kphoger on April 25, 2020, 08:19:23 PM

meh.

If going on the left side can safely be done 90% of the time, then why bother making them go around the long way?  I might even go on the wrong side only if nobody else were approaching the intersection.

The problem around here is intersections like this:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/DRzs54LMj3N6A47U8

Blind corners, not easy to see if cars are coming.

Oddly enough many of these small islands replaced 4-way stops, though some people ran those too, on top of speeders.

jakeroot

Quote from: plain on April 25, 2020, 10:31:34 PM

meh.

Oddly enough many of these small islands replaced 4-way stops, though some people ran those too, on top of speeders.

That's a roundabout, not a calming circle. Can you link to an example more like mine?

If going on the left side can safely be done 90% of the time, then why bother making them go around the long way?. I might even go on the wrong side only if nobody else were approaching the intersection.

That's kind of beside the point. You can do a lot of things when no one is around.

plain

Quote from: jakeroot on April 25, 2020, 10:59:24 PM

meh.

That's a roundabout, not a calming circle. Can you link to an example more like mine?

It's a small island in the middle of a regular intersection with no pavement markers, at least that is what I thought you was talking about. Try entering street view if you didn't already.

If not then maybe this?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/eHoQ8uj1iVZrwSDi9

jakeroot

Quote from: plain on April 25, 2020, 11:21:24 PM

meh.

It's a small island in the middle of a regular intersection with no pavement markers, at least that is what I thought you was talking about. Try entering street view if you didn't already.

If not then maybe this?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/eHoQ8uj1iVZrwSDi9

I was looking specifically at the five-way intersection; looks like the ones around are designed similar to calming circles but they have yield entries.

Oddly, the other one you linked to also has a yield entry (although it does have those useless blank diamonds). This is unlike the calming circles in WA, which have no signs on entry. They are like the thousands of other unsigned intersections in the Seattle/Tacoma area, except that you have to go around the circle to turn left. Traffic still must give way to the right.

For reference, here's the intersection in my photo (note the total lack of signs apart from the yellow diamonds).

Verlanka

Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't.

kphoger

Quote from: plain on April 25, 2020, 11:21:24 PM
Try entering street view if you didn't already.

That's what caused the confusion.  You had apparently panned away from the intersection in question before grabbing the link to post.  Therefore, your link didn't actually display a pin on the map or go to Street View of any particular location.  It just showed a map with dozens of intersections in them, the largest circular one of which isn't the one you expected us to look at.

Here's what displayed:

Only by zooming out did I realize there was even a pin on the map.

So I too, like jakeroot, first looked at the big circular intersection in the middle of the map–at which there are no blind corners (because one must yield to the left rather than to the right), it is easy to see if cars are coming...  You can understand the confusion.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

If going on the left side can safely be done 90% of the time, then why bother making them go around the long way?. I might even go on the wrong side only if nobody else were approaching the intersection.

That's kind of beside the point. You can do a lot of things when no one is around.

But if doing can be done safely most of the time, then I still say there's no problem to complain about.  It only becomes a problem when people's practices conflict.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.