News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

Here's one of the options Google Translate produced on the monkey sign:

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

vdeane

Quote from: CoreySamson on October 11, 2020, 06:00:38 PM
This BGS shouldn't be so massive...

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.0326773,-95.4433148,3a,15.1y,321.14h,91.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxJY-f7YPgTSkvxQiv2CGpg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

First off, no one ever refers to Oak Drive as Veterans Memorial Parkway, and second, West Way is a relatively small side street that I think shouldn't be signed. It could (and should) be half its current size.

P.S. It's a lot bigger in person than it looks here.
They should rename "West Way" to "That Way".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

I know the Chinese aren't afraid to blow their horns. Probably a good idea to install that sign. Honking on the freeway is very uncommon in North America and Europe (in regular free-flow traffic, apart from very specific scenarios), but I've heard honking everywhere is common in Asia.

STLmapboy

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.0326773,-95.4433148,3a,15.1y,321.14h,91.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxJY-f7YPgTSkvxQiv2CGpg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

First off, no one ever refers to Oak Drive as Veterans Memorial Parkway, and second, West Way is a relatively small side street that I think shouldn't be signed. It could (and should) be half its current size.

I mean West Way could be reached from the next exit if the driver were douchey enough to cut across three lanes.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

CoreySamson

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 11, 2020, 09:24:44 PM

I mean West Way could be reached from the next exit if the driver were douchey enough to cut across three lanes.

Actually, they fixed that with pylons recently:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.0430714,-95.4543634,3a,75y,67.33h,73.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCtv9YmkGpgLSpWVRoXRy-Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Quote from: vdeane on October 11, 2020, 08:54:21 PM

They should rename "West Way" to "That Way".

The funny thing is, Lake Jackson already has a That Way (along with an Any Way). This Way meets That Way in downtown.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Scott5114

Quote from: J3ebrules on October 11, 2020, 05:54:35 PM
Quote from: kkt on October 11, 2020, 02:59:55 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on October 11, 2020, 02:45:13 PM
Not North American, but anyone want to take a stab at what the sign at 9:25 in this video means?

What beautiful landscape!

The sign, maybe "monkeys ahead, please don't alarm them by blowing your horn"?

That was my thought as well. Some places do have primates that can do serious damage to your car if you upset them. And car horns can be pretty upsetting.

I think pretty much every place on the planet has primates that can do serious damage to your car if you upset them...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/50475738471/in/dateposted-public/
This is totally wacky.  Both routes US 82 and GA State Road 520 head both ways, but the signs indicate only that West US 82 is to the left and GA 520 East is only to the right.

Also what is missing is a through GA 110 Shield here as GA 110 turns left here with both US 82 and Highway 520 West for a brief concurrency.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

STLmapboy

Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 14, 2020, 01:28:41 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on October 14, 2020, 12:35:03 PM
Wonky NJ clearance sign.

If you do a 180, I find those classic Wisconsin-esque signal cantilevers interesting.
They're common in some NJ cities (Union, Newark, Trenton), though most NJ signals are vertical and newer ones are either on trusses or masts.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

J3ebrules

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 14, 2020, 02:03:00 PM
Wonky NJ clearance sign.

If you do a 180, I find those classic Wisconsin-esque signal cantilevers interesting.
They're common in some NJ cities (Union, Newark, Trenton), though most NJ signals are vertical and newer ones are either on trusses or masts.

Well, this is officially the closest this forum has come to my house, picture-wise. I go under than overpass all the time from Haddon Ave to get to my house; never thought much about that sign. Hi, guys!
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

jakeroot

I always associate horizontal yellow signals on that type of mast arm with New Jersey thanks to War of the Worlds (which was partially filmed in NJ). When the tripod first rises from underneath the ground, you can see several in the background of the scene. They're all gone now (Ferry/Merchant/Wilson junction in Ironbound), but it was something that stuck in my head.

STLmapboy

Quote from: jakeroot on October 14, 2020, 03:11:15 PM
I always associate horizontal yellow signals on that type of mast arm with New Jersey thanks to War of the Worlds (which was partially filmed in NJ). When the tripod first rises from underneath the ground, you can see several in the background of the scene. They're all gone now (Ferry/Merchant/Wilson junction in Ironbound), but it was something that stuck in my head.
2005 Peter Jackson War of the Worlds?
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

jakeroot

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 14, 2020, 03:30:36 PM

Huh? No, Steven Spielberg. Tom Cruise, Dakota Fanning.

Peter Jackson is a Kiwi mostly known for Lord of the Rings, et al.

STLmapboy

Quote from: jakeroot on October 14, 2020, 04:00:43 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on October 14, 2020, 03:30:36 PM

Huh? No, Steven Spielberg. Tom Cruise, Dakota Fanning.

Peter Jackson is a Kiwi mostly known for Lord of the Rings, et al.
Oh yeah, I somehow got WOTW mixed up with Jackson's "King Kong" from the same year.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Max Rockatansky

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 14, 2020, 11:53:43 PM
White CA 29 and CA 53 spades on CA 29 south:

<image snipped>

I like it. It's unique. Perhaps it should be used more.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

renegade

Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 15, 2020, 02:11:07 PM

<image snipped>

Then it wouldn't be unique.   :D
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 15, 2020, 02:11:07 PM

<image snipped>

It's a throwback, really, so it was used more.  :-D

kphoger

Reminds me of this, along Castleton-Gateway Road east of Moab.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Just got back from a short trip to Springfield, MO (MSU commencement ceremony for my sister-in-law).

While I was there, I saw this annoyingly mommy-like sign.

And just a few blocks away was this wannabe dead end sign on the back of a stop sign.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on October 20, 2020, 01:58:04 PM
Just got back from a short trip to Springfield, MO (MSU commencement ceremony for my sister-in-law).

While I was there, I saw this annoyingly mommy-like sign.

And just a few blocks away was this wannabe dead end sign on the back of a stop sign.

I actually kind of like the Street Ends sign. It's not wrong. The street does end up ahead, and it is a warning. So, while it isn't standard, it actually works well.

That speed limit sign on the other hand is complete garbage. I know what it's trying to appeal to: when you're the lead car in a group, and you sometimes feel like you have to go faster because several cars are behind you, some possibly tailgating. It still doesn't make any sense. "Set the Pace"? Okay, I guess I'll set the pace to go 35 instead of 25.

:bigass:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Dirt Roads

The new intersection of By-pass US-17 and Bus US-17/NC-58 just north of Maysville, North Carolina now has an R3-127 (No Straight Thru) sign for northbound NC-58.  I had never seen one before, and it looks pretty weird.  I'm pretty sure that this was an R3-2 (No Left Turn) when it was first opened about a year ago.  I'm guessing that someone went "straight" through the intersection and ended up in the southbound lanes going the wrong direction.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=maysville+nc&t=hk&ia=web&iaxm=maps&iax=images
Sorry, can't get Ducky to give me a URL that zooms in on the location.  The satellite image still shows the bypass under construction.  There's a bunch of funky porkchops here to prevent left turns and the new highway is a Superstreet equipped with J-turns.  Maybe Google has an up-to-date image.  (I gave up on Google in February when they started requiring agreements).

Big John

Wonky NJ clearance sign.
The trombone arm is being phased out in Wisconsin, they are used as one of the legal mounts in New Jersey.  And then they are used in Albuquerque.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.