News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

San Diego freeway history page!

Started by TheStranger, September 24, 2010, 05:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

Hadn't seen this before, it was apparently created a year or two ago by a student at CSU San Marcos:

http://public.csusm.edu/kovri001/index.html

Lots of vintage maps, including evidence of the municipal origins of today's state route 15, originally just an upgraded Wabash Boulevard!
Chris Sampang

J N Winkler

It could form a suitable basis for a PhD dissertation, but first there would need to be more work with primary sources--the original construction plans and biennial reports to start.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hm insulators

Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

SimMoonXP

Interstate Trav

Looks like aside from 125 being extended further north, San Diego got almost all of its freeways built.  How is that possible, when Los Angeles got many of theirs stopped?  Is it NIMBYs?

SimMoonXP

Revive 755

Quote from: Interstate Trav on April 25, 2011, 04:23:33 PM
Looks like aside from 125 being extended further north, San Diego got almost all of its freeways built.  How is that possible, when Los Angeles got many of theirs stopped?  Is it NIMBYs?

San Diego being smaller, or having less wealthy residents?

SimMoonXP

San Diego was smaller. And that map page shows Miramar Marine Corps base area. It was different name in past as Camp Kearny then change to Miramar Naval Air Station.

It probably less wealthy homes in back then. Poway was town back then as not a city. It was part of County of San Diego lands.

TheStranger

Quote from: Interstate Trav on April 25, 2011, 04:23:33 PM
Looks like aside from 125 being extended further north, San Diego got almost all of its freeways built. 

The others that weren't built:

157 (east west route that was canceled in the mid-90s)
171 (north-south diagonal from the I-5/Pershing interchange to approximately I-8/I-805 junction)
252 (connector between 43rd Street/I-805 junction and the I-5/Route 15 interchange)
Route 56 east of I-15
Chris Sampang

Desert Man

May I request to see the development of the Vista Highway (Cal. state route 78) in the early 1970's TBM San Diego county? The pages are farther north (TBM-SD pages 10-30? don't know exactly) and when it was completed, the Vista Highway served to connect I-15 and I-5 (formerly US395 and US101) much easier than to drive into San Diego. The north county region has grown faster in the 1980s/90s era, and the arch-bridge north of Escondido built to commemorate I-15 in the 1970s is still there.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.