News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Wow! THE oldest photo yet of the MacArthur Maze!

Started by TheStranger, March 16, 2011, 06:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

1937, back when this was the US 40/50 split with Route 17 coming on the north and south.  From Eric Fischer's Flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/5532690495/

Chris Sampang

Bigmikelakers

Modern looking interchange given that this was from 1937

SSOWorld

not a maze then - compared to what it is now.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

TheStranger

Quote from: Master son on March 29, 2011, 02:14:10 PM
not a maze then - compared to what it is now.

Yet the fact the interchange was so uncomplicated...actually leads to some serious design problems:  drivers continuing on 50 west (now 580 west to 80 west) would have to switch to the right lanes, while traffic continuing on 17 south (now 80 west to 880 south) had to do the exact opposite - in the same carriageway!
Chris Sampang

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: TheStranger on March 29, 2011, 02:40:53 PM
Yet the fact the interchange was so uncomplicated...actually leads to some serious design problems:  drivers continuing on 50 west (now 580 west to 80 west) would have to switch to the right lanes, while traffic continuing on 17 south (now 80 west to 880 south) had to do the exact opposite - in the same carriageway!

And yet even years later other DOTs are still building the same designs:

http://goo.gl/maps/VAoy

Across the Berkely Bridge northbound, I-264 comes in from the left 2 lanes and then exits the right 2 lanes, while I-464 traffic from the south comes in as the right 2 lanes and then exits the left 2 lanes (as US 460 into downtown Norfolk), so any through traffic must change lanes. Majority traffic movements conflict here, as significant traffic coming from 264 wants to stay on 264, and significant traffic coming north on I-464 from Chesapeake wants to go into downtown - there is little need for it to go east on 264.
The same situation occurs in reverse crossing the bridge southbound.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Henry

Quote from: TheStranger on March 16, 2011, 06:14:20 PM
1937, back when this was the US 40/50 split with Route 17 coming on the north and south.  From Eric Fischer's Flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/5532690495/

Was this part of the Bay Bridge project that was completed in the same year?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.