News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Old Los Angeles Freeway Photos

Started by Bigmikelakers, March 21, 2011, 11:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

Very interesting. I still think white-on-black guide signs are more legible than white-on-green, regardless of what research might have shown. Miss all the cutout shields, too. (I hate the '70-spec cutouts currently being used.)

hm insulators

What freeway is that in the fourth picture down? They don't identify it, but I'm guessing it's the I-710 (long before it was renamed I-710).
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

TheStranger

Quote from: hm insulators on March 22, 2011, 03:46:45 PM
What freeway is that in the fourth picture down? They don't identify it, but I'm guessing it's the I-710 (long before it was renamed I-710).

Looks to be around today's 10/710 junction.
Chris Sampang

Interstate Trav

The Fourth one down looks like the I-710 near Bandini Blvd.  the very bottom one is the 10 east, and it's amazing how busy the freeway was back then, and it was already 4 lanes going eastbound.

hm insulators

Quote from: Interstate Trav on March 22, 2011, 07:27:47 PM
The Fourth one down looks like the I-710 near Bandini Blvd.  

I finally figured it out: It's I-710 looking north from the Lynwood Avenue bridge. Having had a lifetime interest in all things power-line related, I figured it out by looking at the power lines in the background (although when that picture was taken, the current [oops] LA Dept. of Water and Power lines paralleling both the freeway and the Los Angeles River apparently hadn't been built yet).

It's sure strange seeing that freeway virtually free of big trucks!

Got any more of those neat pictures?
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Henry

Those are some nice photos! What era are they from, early-mid 1960s?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

SignBridge

Those photos are great. They run the period from the 1940's thru the 1960's.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.