News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Las Vegas Freeway I-15

Started by Interstate Trav, August 04, 2011, 05:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interstate Trav

I was wondering was the 15 in Nevada ever signed as the Las Vegas Freeway?  I know from Devore CA to Pthe Stateline it's the Mojave Freeway, but was always wondering if it is or was ever considered the Las Vegas Freeway.

roadfro

Despite the name "Las Vegas Freeway" appearing on some maps (such as Google Maps), I-15 has never officially had that name so there have never been signs up to that effect (at least not in the last 25 or so years). NDOT hasn't given nor recognized any official names for Interstate 15 in Nevada.

The portion of US 95 in Las Vegas, between Rancho Drive/US 95 Business (at exit 90) in the northwest and Las Vegas Blvd in downtown is officially the "Oran K. Gragson Freeway". Before US 95 was routed onto this segment in 1982 and citizens petitioned for the then expressway to be named for the former mayor, there were signs referring to the highway as the "Las Vegas Expressway". Signs pointing to Las Vegas Expressway east/west were posted along intersecting streets into the early 90s--the last one was gone by 2007 as the US 95 widening project had modified signage.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Interstate Trav

Quote from: roadfro on August 05, 2011, 12:29:53 AM
Despite the name "Las Vegas Freeway" appearing on some maps (such as Google Maps), I-15 has never officially had that name so there have never been signs up to that effect (at least not in the last 25 or so years). NDOT hasn't given nor recognized any official names for Interstate 15 in Nevada.

The portion of US 95 in Las Vegas, between Rancho Drive/US 95 Business (at exit 90) in the northwest and Las Vegas Blvd in downtown is officially the "Oran K. Gragson Freeway". Before US 95 was routed onto this segment in 1982 and citizens petitioned for the then expressway to be named for the former mayor, there were signs referring to the highway as the "Las Vegas Expressway". Signs pointing to Las Vegas Expressway east/west were posted along intersecting streets into the early 90s--the last one was gone by 2007 as the US 95 widening project had modified signage.

I appreciate the information.  I have noticed you have been the one answering a lot of my Nevada Questions.   I wanted to ask you, on I-15 in Las Vegas what do you think the Control City should be?  when do you think Salt Lake city should appear on on ramps and signs?

roadfro

Quote from: Interstate Trav on August 05, 2011, 01:41:56 AM
I appreciate the information.  I have noticed you have been the one answering a lot of my Nevada Questions.

Well, I live in Nevada and have been interested in roads and highways as long as I can remember. I also seem to be one of the few Nevada roadgeeks around, and one of the fewer still that frequents this forum.

I wanted to ask you, on I-15 in Las Vegas what do you think the Control City should be?  when do you think Salt Lake city should appear on on ramps and signs?

I think the current use of Salt Lake City is fine. I am of the mindset that DOTs should sign only the major cities on the route as control cities at junctions, and SLC is the only major city northbound. SLC should be used on all signs in the Vegas area (and, in fact, is on most of them). The use of "I-15 north / Las Vegas" on the Las Vegas Beltway exit signs seems somewhat absurd to me, especially given the supplementary sign directing Strip/Downtown traffic to use I-15 north.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Interstate Trav

Quote from: roadfro on August 05, 2011, 03:34:57 PM
I appreciate the information.  I have noticed you have been the one answering a lot of my Nevada Questions.

Well, I live in Nevada and have been interested in roads and highways as long as I can remember. I also seem to be one of the few Nevada roadgeeks around, and one of the fewer still that frequents this forum.

I wanted to ask you, on I-15 in Las Vegas what do you think the Control City should be?  when do you think Salt Lake city should appear on on ramps and signs?

I think the current use of Salt Lake City is fine. I am of the mindset that DOTs should sign only the major cities on the route as control cities at junctions, and SLC is the only major city northbound. SLC should be used on all signs in the Vegas area (and, in fact, is on most of them). The use of "I-15 north / Las Vegas" on the Las Vegas Beltway exit signs seems somewhat absurd to me, especially given the supplementary sign directing Strip/Downtown traffic to use I-15 north.

I noticed that too, but I think it's for airport Traffic.  People who flew into the City, and then get on the I-215 and want to Head to the Strip or Downtown.  i always found it odd to have Salt Lakce City pop up at onramps before you reach the City Limits of the Actual Las Vegas.  I agree that having one city listed is a good idea, but I think after Sahara Ave onramps should say Salt Lake City.

I agree though with keeping Salt Lakce City on Mileage signs though, ....although it's only on the once after St Rose Pkwy.

I just find it odd that before you reach the city limits of Las Vegas the next City is signed at onramps. 

roadfro

^ Well, the particular point about using Las Vegas before entering the city limits is not really an issue. That tries to draw the distinction between what most people think of as Las Vegas and the physical city limits of Las Vegas, a distinction that all tourists and most local residents don't even realize exists. (I'd estimate that 75% or more of Las Vegas visitors never actually enter the city limits, but you wouldn't know that without being somewhat informed.)

As to the I-215 sign: There is a supplemental sign just past the westbound onramp from the airport connector that says "Las Vegas // Strip/Downtown // Use [I-15] North". With that sign there, SLC can easily be used on the exit direction sign instead of Las Vegas. Note that eastbound 215 does use SLC as the control on the advance and exit signs.

I think I-15 north should be signed for Salt Lake City anywhere within the Las Vegas urbanized area. No use signing Las Vegas when most people think they are already in Las Vegas (even if technically speaking, they are not in the city but the urbanized area generally known as Las Vegas). According to NDOT mileage, the Las Vegas southern urban limit is at milepost 25.430, which puts it right around or just north of the Sloan exit (south of St. Rose Pkwy).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.