Caltrans pressured to sell homes bought for 710 Freeway extension

Started by cpzilliacus, February 20, 2012, 07:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

L.A. Times: Caltrans pressured to sell homes bought for 710 Freeway extension

QuotePressure is mounting on the California Department of Transportation to sell 460 homes it acquired decades ago in Pasadena, South Pasadena and El Sereno to make way for an extension of the 710 Freeway that has been stalled ever since.

QuoteBut officials say it could be years more before any decision is made on the properties.

QuoteCaltrans bought the homes in 1950s, '60s and '70s to accommodate plans to extend the northern end of the Long Beach Freeway from Alhambra, where it ends now, to the Foothill Freeway in Pasadena. But now it appears regional transportation officials favor digging a 4.5-mile tunnel to connect the 710 and the 210.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Bickendan

Build the tunnel, then sell the homes. Otherwise if the tunnel option doesn't pan out, the overland option still can work (haha, that's funny!).

TheStranger

Quote from: Bickendan on February 20, 2012, 08:40:03 PM
Build the tunnel, then sell the homes. Otherwise if the tunnel option doesn't pan out, the overland option still can work (haha, that's funny!).

I don't think the ground-level freeway will ever be politically possible in South Pasadena (thus the tunnel proposal) - BUT I also feel CalTrans has way more control over what happens as long as they own that aboveground right of way, regardless of how much pressure South Pasadena puts on them.
Chris Sampang

nexus73

Once you have a right of way you keep it until it is either used, replaced by another or no longer needed.  There's a number of gaps and improvements needed in SoCal's freeway network and let's face it, traffic isn't going to get any lighter as the years pass short of a major extinction event...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

kkt

Yes... there's few things harder to get than a right of way through an urban area.  Keep it until the tunnel is actually built.  Even if a tunnel is built, the surface right of way could be useful staging area during construction.  Waiting to sell it would probably make them money too, given the current housing market.

Scott5114

Have the houses not been demolished yet? Why not rent them out until they need to be bulldozed?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

national highway 1

Or maybe follow what they did with the 40th Street Freeway in San Diego: build sections as a cut and cover tunnel to somehow keep the connectivity of the neighborhoods.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

TheStranger

Quote from: national highway 1 on March 20, 2012, 06:26:32 AM
Or maybe follow what they did with the 40th Street Freeway in San Diego: build sections as a cut and cover tunnel to somehow keep the connectivity of the neighborhoods.

Well, this route IS already planned as an underground tunnel...

I'm not sure but it sounds like CalTrans owns the properties and is renting them out, but I could be wrong.  I don't think it's quite like San Diego with Route 15 (where the properties were indeed vacant).
Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.