Mexico border crossing (split from Arco topic)

Started by agentsteel53, March 19, 2012, 08:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

(MOD NOTE: The original thread/message which prompted this topic is located here. –Roadfro)

Quote from: kphoger on March 19, 2012, 06:43:54 PM

The best fuel economy I've ever gotten was with our van fully loaded, going from Parras (Coahuila) to somewhere north of Laredo (TX).  

how did you handle the border wait?  coast forward several inches at a time with the engine off?  I did that once in Tecate as the waiting line queues up along a downhill.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 19, 2012, 08:17:31 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 19, 2012, 06:43:54 PM

The best fuel economy I've ever gotten was with our van fully loaded, going from Parras (Coahuila) to somewhere north of Laredo (TX). 

how did you handle the border wait?  coast forward several inches at a time with the engine off?  I did that once in Tecate as the waiting line queues up along a downhill.

I cross at Colombia, NL.  Basically, after removing the sticker (maybe a two-car wait), you just pull into the parking lot and do your business.  On the U.S. side, the longest wait I've had is probably about ten cars.  I avoid Nuevo Laredo like the plague.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on March 20, 2012, 11:24:44 AM
I cross at Colombia, NL.  Basically, after removing the sticker (maybe a two-car wait), you just pull into the parking lot and do your business.  On the U.S. side, the longest wait I've had is probably about ten cars.  I avoid Nuevo Laredo like the plague.

what business does one do in the parking lot?  I don't know the Mexican vehicle importation laws very well.

as for the US line - 10 cars is something else.  I think in Tecate it averages about 30-40, so one hour or so (I think the US has three main booths that the line splits into), and I don't even want to think about Tijuana.

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 20, 2012, 11:59:10 AM
Quote from: kphoger on March 20, 2012, 11:24:44 AM
what business does one do in the parking lot?  I don't know the Mexican vehicle importation laws very well.

as for the US line - 10 cars is something else.  I think in Tecate it averages about 30-40, so one hour or so (I think the US has three main booths that the line splits into), and I don't even want to think about Tijuana.

OK, let's just admit we're drifting away from ARCO and into Mexican border crossings and the pros and cons of ethanol.

At the Colombia crossing, there's a roadside kiosk at which the VIN is verified and the temporary importation permit is cancelled.  Then, you pull into the customs parking lot to return everyone's FMM (tourist card) and cancelled vehicle permit(s).  Since Colombia is a relatively little-used crossing point, lines are typically not long; last March, we were the only ones in the office at the time we turned in our forms.  A traffic jam in a city would reduce our mileage more than lines at the border.

So, anyway....... How 'bout them ARCOs?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on March 20, 2012, 02:50:44 PM
return everyone's FMM (tourist card)

I totally kept my FMM in August of 2010, which I randomly got because I had no idea if I could go to San Felipe without one.

now it is well past expired - will they give me grief the next time I try to apply for one?  (I'm not even sure if I need it anywhere in Baja... any idea?)

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 20, 2012, 02:54:09 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 20, 2012, 02:50:44 PM
return everyone's FMM (tourist card)

I totally kept my FMM in August of 2010, which I randomly got because I had no idea if I could go to San Felipe without one.

now it is well past expired - will they give me grief the next time I try to apply for one?  (I'm not even sure if I need it anywhere in Baja... any idea?)

I have two of them (mine and my dad's) from 2001/2002, and have never had problems because of it.  However, I've read that the system is becoming better computerized, giving them better ability to track these things down.  The improvement process is supposedly gradual, and no one is exactly sure at what point they have what abilities.  There's a rumor that you'll have to pay a 3-digit (USD) fee next time you cross the border (or, possibly, next time you need an FMM), but that would depend on what point along the computerization process you got yours at.  Back in 2002, I tried calling the Mexican government to see what I should do; good luck with that, it's an international call, and the automated person just told me (in Spanish) that they were busy and to call some other time.  It might be wise to call your nearest Mexican consulate.
Male pronouns, please.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on March 20, 2012, 03:19:32 PM
I've read that the system is becoming better computerized,

well, their computer needs to better identify - and make a sign for - "return your FMM here before returning to the US". 

if they want such strict compliance with their exit policies, why not set up a booth to service customers immediately before the US border?  just ask a few questions of every car leaving the country, stamp FMMs and vehicle importation permits and whatnot...

to have the office be well-hidden and difficult to access, and then to throw a several-hundred dollar fine on top of it for failure to comply, brings to mind the mordida culture.

"a lovely compliance office we have here.  it would be a shame if you couldn't find it."

jake@aaroads.com

The High Plains Traveler

The east coast of the Gulf of California/Sea of Cortez down to Guymas would be an inviting and accessible place for me to travel to, but the Mexican vehicle importation process is byzantine. If you screw up, they can take your vehicle. That, and I hear they have a little crime problem in some areas --- wouldn't want my pocket picked.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

kphoger

Temporarily importing a car isn't too difficult if (a) you speak Spanish, or (b) the person behind the window speaks English.
You just need....

DL (valid!),
FMM (a.k.a. Tourist Card),
registration receipt,
title (or letter from the bank authorizing you, typically not needed unless there's a problem with your registration but a good idea anyway),
proof of Mexican insurance,
and enough money in cash or Visa/MasterCard to post a bond (refundable $200—$400 depending on age, refundable, plus a nonrefundable fee).

I always take two copies of everything listed above (OK, except money  :rolleyes: ), which is overkill but makes me feel prepared.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

My experience of the process (as of late 2002) is as follows:

*  You do need your driver's license and immigration form at minimum, and I think I also had to show my passport (which is what I have used for citizenship proof).  I am not sure the immigration form is accepted as valid unless it is accompanied by citizenship proof.  The DL is photocopied; I think my passport may have been as well.  I am not sure what the procedure is if you enter Mexico on a document which does not accept stamps, but if you enter on a passport, it gets stamped.  The standard INM stamp is oblong, red-green bicolor, and has the entry date only (using Spanish three-letter abbreviations for the months--hence "DIC" for December, "ENE" for January, etc.).  Typically you are asked to specify a leaving date and this is written into the immigration form but not the passport.

*  A registration receipt is adequate as long as it identifies you as a owner of the vehicle.  If you are not the owner, or the vehicle is encumbered by a bank (or other) lien, you need a letter from the holder of the lien which authorizes you to take the car into Mexico.  I don't know how such letters are authenticated in the Banjercito modules.  You do not need permission from other owners for vehicles in multiple ownership.

*  I have never been asked to supply proof of insurance valid within Mexico.  Every time I have crossed, this has been treated as the owner's responsibility.

*  I have never been asked to return the immigration form on leaving Mexico.  Procedures may have changed, however.  When I last visited it was FMT-1 (not FMM), and it had a counterpart which was to be detached when the immigration fee was paid.  The first time I visited Mexico, in late 2001, I was aware I had to pay but the procedure was not explained, so I assumed that payment had been taken in the Banjercito module as part of the temporary vehicle importation process.  (There is a list of banks in Mexico which are authorized to accept payment for immigration permits and Banjercito is on it.)  Therefore I left Mexico with the FMT-1 with the counterpart still attached.  That kicked up red flags the next time I re-entered Mexico a year later, and I received a very careful explanation of the need to pay.  I was however not told of the need to return the immigration form (sans counterpart) on leaving Mexico for the last time, nor was it collected either of the two times I had temporary vehicle importation cancelled.  (I am not quite sure, but I think the personnel who process these cancellations ask to see the immigration form.)

*  When the temporary vehicle importation is cancelled, you are issued a certificate testifying to that fact.  It is worth taking it along on your next visit to Mexico so you can show it if the cancellation does not take, and your vehicle is suspected of being an illegal import the next time you try to cross the border.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

The forms have changed since 2002.  I believe the FMT was able to be used for multiple entries; the new FMM seems only to be able to be used for one entry unless you have a resident visa, though I can't nail that down definitively.  I always a get the 7-day one, since it's free, anyway.  I also think there are only very limited cases–if any–wherein a passport is not required for a visit to México.  At any rate, it has to be turned in by the time your window of stay is over; just because there's no big flashing sign telling you that doesn't mean it doesn't have to be done.  In fact, since at least the FMT could be used for multiple entries, it makes sense that there wouldn't be a big flashing sign.  I've never been asked for it by the sticker cancellation folks; I just turn it in at the INM office of my own accord.

The stamp in your passport has changed, at least at the Colombia crossing, to a very light blue color; it will surely change again.  No big deal, it's just a stamp.

We've driven to México in 2009, 2010, and 2011.  In 2009, it was just our car; in 2010, it was ours plus a friend's Honda; in 2011, it was ours plus a friend's pickup.  As we still make payments on our car, I always have the registration receipt plus letter from the bank; I'm not sure what they've asked for on the other cars, since I wasn't at the window.  I've only been asked for the bank letter once, and that was because I had mistakenly brought an expired registration receipt; with the bank letter showing I was in good standing, though, I was good to go.

I've never been asked for proof of insurance either.  I've handed it to them at the import window; sometimes they look through it and/or take a copy, sometimes they don't.  The one time I got pulled over by a cop, he didn't even ask for proof of insurance.  In fact, he mentioned that the ticket (which I bribed my way out of, BTW) wouldn't count against my insurance since it's foreign.  Maybe he figured there was no point if it wouldn't count against me...
Male pronouns, please.

realjd

Mexico stamps passports at land crossings? Is that just if you're importing a car?

J N Winkler

Quote from: realjd on March 24, 2012, 06:00:56 PMMexico stamps passports at land crossings? Is that just if you're importing a car?

In my experience, they stamp only in connection with issuance of an immigration form.  The rule has traditionally been that you need an immigration form only if you plan to be within Mexico for longer than 72 hours or want to go into the Mexican interior (which in practice means passing one of the internal frontier checkpoints).  For casual visits to Mexico they will ask to see citizenship proof but generally won't do anything to your passport.  I have entered Mexico by land three times, but have had my passport stamped on only two of those occasions.  The first time was a casual visit when I walked over from Presidio to check out Ojinaga before crossing by car the next morning.  I had to explain myself to the immigration officers on both sides but neither stamped my passport.  Nowadays this forbearance has to be regarded as a courtesy to the traveler, since stamps use up blank passport pages.  You used to be able to obtain additional pages in your passport free of charge but this service now costs upwards of $80.

We no longer accept birth certificates as citizenship proof for people trying to enter the US, but I do not know whether that is also true for Mexico.  The Mexicans are under no obligation to operate in strict reciprocity with us.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Yeah, so I guess you might be able to visit México without a passport, but not return to the U.S.  :sombrero:
I think I remember reading somewhere that minors travelling as part of a sports, religious, or a couple of other kinds of groups can get by with a birth certificate etc.  Can't remember offhand where I read that or what, exactly, were the stipulations.  I also see that as a rather large loophole that people could try and jump through.

Post Merge: March 29, 2012, 05:52:23 PM

Quote from: realjd on March 24, 2012, 06:00:56 PM
Mexico stamps passports at land crossings? Is that just if you're importing a car?

J N Winkler seems to have the right answer.  I've never asked myself the question before, but I too have only had my passport stamped in situations requiring an FMM (or FMT, in the old days).  At land crossings, I've never had to deal with any officials unless travelling to the interior–doing so requires an FMM, and it has been that issuing officer who stamped the passports.  I've flown into México twice (same airport both times), and the immigration officer between the arrival gate and luggage claim (i.e., the one who approved our FMTs) was the one who stamped the passports.
Male pronouns, please.

agentsteel53

*massive headache*

I'm gonna have to re-read that all again before I attempt this.

I am guessing the separation between the Banjercito and the actual issue of the FMM is some old anti-corruption countermeasure?

also, what geographic regions can one visit without the FMM?  does anyone have the definitive map?  I know it needs to be had about halfway down Baja, but it seems to be unnecessary for San Felipe.

jake@aaroads.com

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 24, 2012, 07:57:52 PM
*massive headache*

I'm gonna have to re-read that all again before I attempt this.

I am guessing the separation between the Banjercito and the actual issue of the FMM is some old anti-corruption countermeasure?

also, what geographic regions can one visit without the FMM?  does anyone have the definitive map?  I know it needs to be had about halfway down Baja, but it seems to be unnecessary for San Felipe.
There is also a "Sonora Only" program that appears to limit you to Route 15 and west about as far down as Guaymas. Under this, if I understand it, you do not need a vehicle importation permit. If you try to return via a different crossing, though, it appears the program does not apply. I might want to initially cross at Nogales and loop east and reenter at Agua Prieta. (Thus my comment above about fearing I would screw up somehow and come home on a Greyhound.) I much prefer Canada's relatively easy entry - once you convince them you're not carrying a gun, you're free to move about the country with no more paperwork than you generally carry, except passports, and return to the U.S. wherever you please.

Brandon

What a vast difference from taking your car to Canada, eh.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on March 24, 2012, 09:16:19 PM

or, really, a lot of places.  try taking a car from Germany to France.

jake@aaroads.com

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 24, 2012, 09:53:08 PM

Yeah, I blinked and I went from Netherlands to Belgium. Less stressful than entering California from Arizona - at least no one asked to see my veggies.

kphoger

I was driven from former East Germany into former West Germany by a man who had travelled by car from West Germany to East Germany before the wall came down.  At that time, he said, the border crossing took two days, the inspection including the removal of the seats from his car.
Male pronouns, please.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on March 25, 2012, 08:30:04 AM

I was driven from former East Germany into former West Germany by a man who had travelled by car from West Germany to East Germany before the wall came down.  At that time, he said, the border crossing took two days, the inspection including the removal of the seats from his car.

I take it that the extreme search was done by the East German authorities before even getting to see the West German customs officials.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on March 25, 2012, 08:36:25 AM
Quote from: kphoger on March 25, 2012, 08:30:04 AM

I take it that the extreme search was done by the East German authorities before even getting to see the West German customs officials.

Sorry, I don't remember if he even said, but memory seems to serve that it was West to East; however, that could very well be a false memory and just my assumption at the time.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on March 24, 2012, 08:17:58 PMThere is also a "Sonora Only" program that appears to limit you to Route 15 and west about as far down as Guaymas. Under this, if I understand it, you do not need a vehicle importation permit. If you try to return via a different crossing, though, it appears the program does not apply.  I might want to initially cross at Nogales and loop east and reenter at Agua Prieta. (Thus my comment above about fearing I would screw up somehow and come home on a Greyhound.)

Unless major changes have been made since 2003, the "Only Sonora" program is not that limited.  I have no information about any requirement to execute a complete loop back to your original crossing point, but there are "Only Sonora" checkpoints along the Chihuahua border.  (I do not think, however, that these inner-border "Only Sonora" checkpoints have facilities for issuing temporary vehicle importations for onward travel.  For this reason I would not bother with the "Only Sonora" program if I thought there was a chance I might want to travel outside Sonora.)

QuoteI much prefer Canada's relatively easy entry - once you convince them you're not carrying a gun, you're free to move about the country with no more paperwork than you generally carry, except passports, and return to the U.S. wherever you please.

The US and Canada are both very highly developed countries and neither is a logical transit country for migrants from low-income nations, so they have the latitude to operate very loose frontier checks.  Similarly, in Europe both the Schengen zone and the Common Travel Area work very well because the countries involved have very similar per capita incomes.

In general, the principal determinant of the severity of immigration checks between adjacent countries is the disparity in per capita income, since that is more or less directly related to the proportion of people moving from the poorer to the richer country who break the immigration rules by overstaying or working illegally.  In fact, that is explicitly the criterion the State Department applies to countries who want to join the US visa waiver program so their citizens can enter the US with an I-94W instead of an I-94 plus a visa obtained from a US consulate prior to travel.  Before the State Department started incorporating political considerations into the VWP in order to harmonize with the Schengen zone, Slovenia was inside the VWP while Greece was outside it (even though both Slovenia and Greece are Schengen countries) because the proportion of Greek overstayers was too high to allow Greece to qualify for the VWP.

There is also a cultural dimension to this.  Mexico is not the only country which operates a "hard" internal frontier--this is very common in Latin America.

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 24, 2012, 07:57:52 PMI am guessing the separation between the Banjercito and the actual issue of the FMM is some old anti-corruption countermeasure?

I don't know for sure, but I doubt it.  The requirement to have a tourist permit is, as I understand it, very old, although these used to be issued free of charge--I think they started charging sometime in the mid-1990's (and the fee now is about the same as that charged back then).  I haven't tried investigating this topic seriously by getting hold of factual sources like old auto touring guidebooks, but I vaguely recall reading noir novels from the 1930's (James Cain/Jim Thompson) where the requirement to get a tourist permit for travel into the Mexican interior is a plot point.  The internal frontier is closely related, if not perfectly coincident, with the boundary which divides parts of Mexico where foreigners can own land outright from those where they cannot.  This boundary and the restriction on land ownership have always been part of the 1917 Constitution.  (The ultimate purpose of this measure, as well as the one-term limit on the Mexican presidency, is to prevent the re-establishment of a Porfiriate where científico advisors and foreign investors gobble up massive tracts of land and squeeze out the campesinos.)

About temporary vehicle importation I am less sure.  I know that the practice of requiring a deposit (typically by credit card) began around the same time the Mexicans started charging for issuance of tourist permits.  This is the origin of the Banjercito modules; before the Mexicans started requiring deposits, there was no need to provide additional office space to house the workers who accept and return the deposits.  I think a looser version of the importation procedure came into being around the same time the Mexicans started issuing separate vehicle license plates for the interior and the fronterizo areas (1972, according to Wikipedia).  The intent of the policy is to protect the domestic Mexican auto market by removing secondhand American and Canadian cars as an alternative to brand-new home-produced vehicles (the VW Beetle was produced in Mexico until the late 1990's, long after production had ceased elsewhere) or used cars of Mexican manufacture.

The purpose of the fronterizo plates is to allow registration (on a concessionary basis) of US- or other foreign-produced cars which are purchased by Mexican citizens living in the frontier zone:

http://plus.freeshell.org/coll/index.php?i=plates:mex

I don't know what happens if the owner tries to drive a fronterizo car into the interior or to sell it there, but for driving I think a temporary vehicle importation has to be done, and for sale, I think the car needs to be permanently imported, through payment of import duty (probably set at punitive levels) and issuance of ordinary Mexican license plates.  For a Mexican national I think the main advantage of a fronterizo plate is the ability to re-sell the car in the US or to re-register the car in a US state if the owner is transferred there for work.  Mexicans can drive Mexican-produced cars into the US as tourists but they cannot register them in any US state unless (a) they pay import duty and (b) they demonstrate (to the satisfaction of US Customs) that the car complies with FMVSS and emissions control requirements, which can entail conversions which are very expensive if they are even possible.

ARMOURERERIC

Talk has ressurected about a freeway connector border crossing being built between I-8, in the area of exit 74 and M-2D, apparently, this would aide trucks going to the US by providing a better downhill option into the central valley and aid Mexico bound trucksd by getting them shifted towards TJ before hitting the metro San Diego area.  I have never been to Mexico, or plan to go, but I understand those 2 freeways are very close there with easy terrain between.  You can see the border fence from I-8 at this point

kphoger

Re:  Separate bank/customs office–
It is interesting that the FMM is payed for at a separate window, whereas the vehicle importation folks are equipped to accept payment.

Re:  The hassle of driving a car in–
J N Winkler is hitting the nail on the head.  The U.S. has relatively inexpensive price tags on cars, especially as compared to the average income.  With lower wages in México, and slighter higher price tags on cars, the portion of the population who might buy a new car is much more limited than in Canada.  Since México is a car-producing nation, it understandably would like to encourage the purchase of Mexican-made vehicles.  For those Mexicans who can afford a new car, a very alluring alternative would be a slightly used American car–almost new for a significantly lower price.  So, as J N Winkler noted, there is a profit to be made in driving American cars down for sale.  That's the reason for (1) the requirement to post a bond guaranteeing you will return the car, (2) the requirement for proof that you are the owner of the car, (3) the graduated prices for said bond, and (4) the less stringent requirements for buying very old American cars–i.e., they aren't really competing with brand new Mexican-made ones.

Re:  Fronterizo license plates
If a Mexican buys a car in the U.S., there is a stiff import duty to be paid upon nationalizing it in México.  Along the border, such duty is waived (or greatly reduced, I'm not sure which).  A car bought in the U.S. by someone living in this border zone in México will have Fronterizo plates; these mean that, while no import duty was paid on the car, there was in fact no requirement for it to be paid.  As far as selling it in the interior or on the north side of the border, I'm not sure.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.