Regional Boards > Northeast

NYC Roads

<< < (233/236) > >>

Alps:

--- Quote from: bluecountry on September 21, 2022, 07:09:08 AM ---SO let me ask, we all know the CBX and other roads were awful for many reasons, most cited is how it destroyed neighborhoods.
I agree, the freeway was a disaster and unfair what it did to people.

That said, in an ideal world, what would have been the solution?
Destroying a neighborhood is bad, the road itself is bad, so instead of doing it the way it was down, what other solutions were there besides no build?
How could the region have added the necessary freeways to connect NJ to NYC to LI to the Hudson Valley to NE?
Just route everything on the Tappan Zee???
Then how do people get to LI?

In an ideal world, what should have been done where an obvious build had to occur but not like this mess?

--- End quote ---
tunnels

Roadgeek Adam:
Tunnels were not a new concept when the CBX came through. It would have to probably be an express tunnel and a lot of exits probably could not occur, but you absolutely could tunnel through the Bronx there. Unfortunately we can't really fix this mess now and have to live with what we got.

bluecountry:

--- Quote from: Alps on September 21, 2022, 08:02:19 AM ---
--- Quote from: bluecountry on September 21, 2022, 07:09:08 AM ---SO let me ask, we all know the CBX and other roads were awful for many reasons, most cited is how it destroyed neighborhoods.
I agree, the freeway was a disaster and unfair what it did to people.

That said, in an ideal world, what would have been the solution?
Destroying a neighborhood is bad, the road itself is bad, so instead of doing it the way it was down, what other solutions were there besides no build?
How could the region have added the necessary freeways to connect NJ to NYC to LI to the Hudson Valley to NE?
Just route everything on the Tappan Zee???
Then how do people get to LI?

In an ideal world, what should have been done where an obvious build had to occur but not like this mess?

--- End quote ---
tunnels

--- End quote ---

Like the big dig in Boston?
You really think they would have done that, really?

SignBridge:
The problem was not so much that the CBX was built, but the cut-throat way it was designed and executed. The route could have been slightly different to have spared at least one neighborhood but that wasn't done because of politics. And the residents who were displaced by the road could and should have been treated much better than they were.

Had those things been done, the CBX might not have the bad reputation that it does today.

Some design features might have been a little different as well, but remember this was almost seventy years ago and the highway was typical of 1950's era design and six-lane highways in the NYC area were the norm at that time. Building it any wider was probably not possible anyway due to space constraints.

bluecountry:

--- Quote from: SignBridge on October 01, 2022, 08:27:06 PM ---The problem was not so much that the CBX was built, but the cut-throat way it was designed and executed. The route could have been slightly different to have spared at least one neighborhood but that wasn't done because of politics. And the residents who were displaced by the road could and should have been treated much better than they were.

Had those things been done, the CBX might not have the bad reputation that it does today.

Some design features might have been a little different as well, but remember this was almost seventy years ago and the highway was typical of 1950's era design and six-lane highways in the NYC area were the norm at that time. Building it any wider was probably not possible anyway due to space constraints.

--- End quote ---
Moses easily could have shifted it south with less destruction but I believe his business associates/friends wanted it where it was placed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version