News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Argentina

Started by bing101, June 23, 2019, 10:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

Fed sher is known for his road geek videos in the Buenos Aires area. One of his videos also includes freeways/tollways in Buenos Aires.

Alps

It's like you knew I'm here. Craziest thing I've noticed so far is how prominent the lateral stripes are approaching a toll plaza and then the presence of actual speed bumps. On a freeway.

Alps

Other notes: Av 9 de Julio is the world's widest street. You feel like you're looking across a river at the other side. Found a quadruple left turn: https://maps.app.goo.gl/fp5cBLC9Su58DyD6A
Old street signs abound - porcelain - mainly for street names and tiny one-way arrows. And there's a neat reversible lane system on what's normally a 10-lane one way road - do you know of any wider one laners? https://maps.app.goo.gl/TvokhzsUKhXtxzzo8

Alps

Another note: The first several hundred km of RN14 are a superstreet, in essence. For all Argentina reminds me of Texas, this is something different and better. By removing all cross streets in favor of U-turns, there are many fewer opportunities for traffic conflicts while inconveniencing only a few locals.

Chris

President Macri announced plans to reconstruct major highways in Argentina as a PPP project. It includes a number of corridors to be upgraded to autopista, semi-autopista or other improvements. This is in line with much of South America, a large proportion of road upgrades are funded through tolls. The entire program includes over 7500 kilometers of roads to be upgraded.

Official website: https://ppp.vialidad.gob.ar/

Several concessions were awarded in 2018:

· Corredor vial A: Consorcio: Paolini, Vial Agro, INC.

· Corredor vial B: Consorcio: China Construction America, Green SA.

· Corredor vial C: Consorcio: Jose Cartellone Construcciones Civiles SA.

· Corredor vial E: Consorcio: Helport, Panedile, Eleprint, Copasa.

· Corredor vial F: Consorcio: Helport, Panedile, Eleprint, Copasa.

· Corredor vial SUR: Consorcio: Rovella Carranza, JCR SA, Mota - Engil.

Alps

Tito_zz

Well, Paseo del Bajo just opened. Nice.
Just a roadgeek making road signs!
I know road signs of:
D,CH,FL,A,F,USA,RA
Wanna know road signs of:
I,RUS,DK

Ja zur A98! http://www.rhnet.de/a98/image/JA-zur-A98-V4-gross.gif

bing101

New Video from Fed sher

Alps

Yes, Paseo de Bajo was open to trucks when I was in BA and I saw them using it.
I just traveled half a new freeway today! NR 19 east of Córdoba is open WB with traffic on the old road EB. Still being extended to ultimately connect as autovia all the way to Santa Fe, albeit with side connections (not a true freeway).

Alps

I found the most boring road in Argentina and possibly the world. RP10 west of Telen. It's over 100 km of grassland scrub and straightaways. The longest one is 17 miles. I had so much time on my hands I converted from metric in my head just for fun (I believe it was 27.7 km). There were 3 road junctions in that distance. I started hallucinating faces in the sky. I cheered the appearance of a bird or another vehicle because it was something to look at. Seriously, I-80 in Nebraska is charging compared to this.

bing101

bing101

mrsman

Very nice video.  It's amazing to me that so many of the wider and busier streets have speed bumps.

Alps

Quote from: mrsman on July 11, 2019, 06:07:55 PM
Very nice video.  It's amazing to me that so many of the wider and busier streets have speed bumps.
Dude, pretty much every road except freeways has them! Throughout the country!

mrsman

Quote from: Alps on July 11, 2019, 07:32:11 PM
Never having been there, it is interesting to note the differences to the USA.  It's an interesting idea in traffic planning to say the least.  I guess it improves interaction between pedestrians and motor traffic.  But on the downside, it likely will push more traffic onto the freeways (just like badly timed traffic signals does in many parts of the USA).

Alps

Quote from: mrsman on July 12, 2019, 12:19:11 PM
Quote from: Alps on July 11, 2019, 07:32:11 PM
Never having been there, it is interesting to note the differences to the USA.  It's an interesting idea in traffic planning to say the least.  I guess it improves interaction between pedestrians and motor traffic.  But on the downside, it likely will push more traffic onto the freeways (just like badly timed traffic signals does in many parts of the USA).
There are no freeways outside Buenos Aires.

bing101

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Alps on July 12, 2019, 12:21:25 PM

Not even on others major Argentine cities like Rosario, Cordoba, San Juan and Mendoza?

Alps

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 14, 2019, 09:37:18 AM
Quote from: Alps on July 12, 2019, 12:21:25 PM

Not even on others major Argentine cities like Rosario, Cordoba, San Juan and Mendoza?
Nope. Check the map. They've got side streets, driveways, turnarounds.

vdeane

The autopista from Rosario to Córdoba doesn't seem too bad, except for the last couple km to Córdoba.  Most of the at-grades seen unofficial, at least in street view, and there is a gas station or two acting like a turnpike service area.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bing101

bing101

mrsman

Another interesting thing to note from some of these videos is the lack of stop/yield signs at many 4-way intersections.  It seems like, unless you are crossing a multi-lane street or you face a signalized intersection, every intersection is treated as an all-way yield.  First come, first served.

No city in the US would ever have that.  Even in rural areas, unless it is really secluded, you will see traffic control signs.

Many suburban T-intersections in the US don't have traffic control, but I'm sure there is a law that unsigned T-intersections force a yield on the street that ends.

kphoger

Quote from: mrsman on August 09, 2019, 04:24:13 PM
Another interesting thing to note from some of these videos is the lack of stop/yield signs at many 4-way intersections.  It seems like, unless you are crossing a multi-lane street or you face a signalized intersection, every intersection is treated as an all-way yield.  First come, first served.

No city in the US would ever have that.  Even in rural areas, unless it is really secluded, you will see traffic control signs.

I live in the middle of a city whose population is nearly 400,000.  My house is between two uncontrolled intersections.

Many suburban T-intersections in the US don't have traffic control, but I'm sure there is a law that unsigned T-intersections force a yield on the street that ends.

This is the kind of thing that would vary from state to state.  I recall that being the law in Illinois, but I am unable to find such a law in the Uniform Vehicle Code. 
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on August 09, 2019, 05:42:57 PM
I live in the middle of a city whose population is nearly 400,000.  My house is between two uncontrolled intersections.

Such is quite rare east of the Mississippi, and especially in the Eastern time zone.
You may remember our discussion several months ago; I didn't even know such a thing existed until you posted some examples. I'll bet most people I know from this area and east would find it weird to have an uncontrolled intersection and wouldn't even know how it's supposed to function.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.