News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Your own interesting terms for things

Started by kirbykart, August 12, 2022, 04:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

Kroeg (pronounced "krookh" ): a redneck dive bar. The term is just the Afrikaans word for bar.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 28, 2022, 07:04:01 PM
The moment a daylight savings change takes effect is "time travel" here. ("Oh, it's only 3am now, not 4, due to time travel.")

It would catch on more widely, if only you weren't the only one awake when the time change actually happens.   :-P
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

Reddi-wip and other such fake cream in a can were known as pisht in my childhood home. My siblings continue using the term. It's onomatopoeic.

IowaTraveler

Quote from: Hunty2022 on December 28, 2022, 07:21:00 PM
Mechanicsville [adjective] [definition #2]

When a road gets re-aligned almost right next to the old alignment, like Bypass US 360 and Business US 360 in the namesake town.

Coincidentally, this term also applies to Mechanicsville, Iowa. When that section of US 30 was first paved in 1927, the highway was moved about 1000 feet to the south to the other side of the railroad tracks to eliminate two at-grade crossings.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on December 29, 2022, 01:28:25 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 28, 2022, 07:04:01 PM
The moment a daylight savings change takes effect is "time travel" here. ("Oh, it's only 3am now, not 4, due to time travel.")

It would catch on more widely, if only you weren't the only one awake when the time change actually happens.   :-P

Hey now, I know two other people that are awake at that time! :-P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.