News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The worst pain you’ve experienced

Started by Max Rockatansky, October 02, 2022, 04:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 03, 2022, 01:52:48 PMinserting high-voltage probes into the rectum

No thanks. This sounds like the treatment is worse than the affliction.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bruce

Got hit in the head with a shot put during a middle school track meet. Had to ride the ambulance to a hospital and get some staples for a few weeks. A few weeks on painkillers and now I have a lingering TBI for life.

My only regret is not suing the shit out of the school for improperly marking the waiting area for competitors to be downrange of the thrower. How dumb is that?

kphoger

I was once skateboarding from orchestra rehearsal to the Metra station in Oak Park (IL) one winter evening.  I stumbled, fell, and put out my hands to break my fall.  I stood up, stretched my arm, and thought about my elbow:  That's gonna hurt later.  I got back on the skateboard, boarded my train, and realized my elbow was starting to get worse rather than better.  So I called my roommate to have him pick me up at the College Avenue station.  When we got home, I asked if I could borrow his car to drive myself to the hospital.  So I did, drove to Central DuPage Hospital.  It turns our I'd broken my elbow.

That was definitely not the worst pain I've felt, but I'm sharing the story to say this:  the worst pain of the entire experience was twisting my arm into the right position and then holding it still for an X-ray at the hospital.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

Takumi

I once badly strained an oblique by doing the strenuous task of sitting down. I couldn't work for days and every now and then it still acts up on me.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

bandit957

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 02, 2022, 04:37:34 PM
This topic came up in conversation in another road chat.  What is the worst level of physical pain you've experienced during your life time?

The Great Kidney Stone of April 26, 1999, may be the worst. This was also the same day as the episode of 'Ally McBeal' in which Rosie O'Donnell bubbled.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

Also, when I broke my finger by closing a car door on it on January 25, 2018. I went into Big Lots or something right after it, and then I almost went into shock. Everything looked weird, like that wolf vision effect from the "Electric Avenue" video and a lot of other early '80s items.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

adventurernumber1

I think the worst sustained pain I've had was when I had an infection a few weeks after getting my wisdom teeth taken out in early Summer of 2021 (which made recovery take even longer). That pain was awful, but I think I've had even more excruciating pain in the form of random spurts that usually don't last more than 5 seconds, but because they're so short (and common) I quickly forget about them after it's over. Lately this has been a problem happening in the bottom of my foot, particularly when walking barefoot on a hard floor. Usually I can't help but yell right when it happens, but it only lasts a few seconds; it is very strange.

I've had other contenders when I was real young such as having the door slammed (accidentally) on my finger, turning the nail a blackish shade temporarily, but that happened so long ago when I was a kid, so the other two things are more at the forefront of my memory and awareness.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

formulanone

When I was 8, I stepped on a golf tee while barefoot. When I noticed it punctured my left foot, I freaked out while trying to remove it, causing it to pierce through the top of my foot. Lots of screaming and blood (thank goodness I'd had nosebleeds before, so I was used to the sight of blood). Pain lasted about two weeks but the random phantom pains lasted a while longer than that.

kphoger

This is quickly becoming my least favorite thread...   ick...   X-(
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

dlsterner

Quote from: kphoger on October 03, 2022, 09:26:44 PM

I sense a new topic coming:  "Your least favorite thread on AARoads" ...

Rothman

There's nothing quite like shocking a rectum.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on October 03, 2022, 09:17:20 PM
When I was 8, I stepped on a golf tee while barefoot. When I noticed it punctured my left foot, I freaked out while trying to remove it, causing it to pierce through the top of my foot. Lots of screaming and blood (thank goodness I'd had nosebleeds before, so I was used to the sight of blood). Pain lasted about two weeks but the random phantom pains lasted a while longer than that.

I say on a clothing security pin when I had a high dollar shoplifter detained in a Mesa store office.  It hurt substantially, but I played it off like nothing happened and eventually got the pin pulled out.  I'm not sure if the shoplifter saw what happened but one of my investigators did.  I'm surprised nobody got on me about not filing an accident report for that. 

ET21

Obliterating my toe bone after falling down the stairs and slamming said toe into our bureau. There was nothing left of the bone on the X-rays, so surgery/a pin helped reform the bone in the toe.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

abefroman329

An anal fissure that I had for about a year (by the time the doctors had exhausted all possible remedies other than surgery, we were well on our way to moving to Chicago from DC, and the surgeon I was working with in DC advised me to wait until after I moved to have the surgery, so that I had the continuity of care with one surgeon).

That is a pain I will never forget as long as I live.

SectorZ

This is turning into the TMI thread.

Rothman

Quote from: SectorZ on October 04, 2022, 04:00:23 PM
Nah.  This is a niche butt thread, evidently.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on October 04, 2022, 04:11:47 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on October 04, 2022, 04:00:23 PM
Nah.  This is a niche butt thread, evidently.

Or a "pain in the ass"  thread?

Which more or less was the point I was trying to make in the first post.  For whatever reason stomach related issues I've always found to be infinitely more painful than actual injuries.  To that end the stomach issues tend to relieve themselves quickly, but she can feel like imminent death encroaching while present.

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

When my girlfriend said she needed "space".
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Rothman on October 03, 2022, 10:28:26 PM
There's nothing quite like shocking a rectum.
Only hurts the first time.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

zachary_amaryllis

Getting into the car, and not realize the boys have moved around in their container. Sat down, and sat right on 'em.

THAT hurt.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Rothman

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on October 05, 2022, 08:08:15 AM
Getting into the car, and not realize the boys have moved around in their container. Sat down, and sat right on 'em.

THAT hurt.
Wut.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.