News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Times you have made passengers riding with you nauseous

Started by Max Rockatansky, December 16, 2022, 11:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

This is something that frequently happens when I'm driving on mountain roads in California with passengers.  I made my cousin and her daughter sick to their stomaches (the former threw up) zipping around the one lane segment of CA 236 while heading to Big Basin State Park during 2016.  My wife has become nauseous a couple times but most notable on CA 140 west of El Portal in the Merced River Canyon during 2018.  My oldest niece has an infamously weak stomach and has become sick numerous times over the years.  The commonality seems to be highways which are extremely twisty coupled with 45-60 MPH speeds.

seicer

Generally, if I ride as a passenger in a sedan, I'll get car sick if we are on twisty roads. SUVs, crossovers, and trucks generally don't give me any issues - except for the Jeep Wrangler. If I am in the rear seat directly over the axle, I'll get nauseous.

JoePCool14

None that I specifically remember, but there's been times where I've felt nauseous as a passenger. If anyone is familar with it, Blackjack Road by Galena, IL was always one I disliked being driven on. So much winding and weaving roads, which are fun to drive, but not great for those with you.

Maybe I've just never asked people how they've felt after driving with me. I tend to be fairly restrained on country roads.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

webny99

As a driver, the time that stands out is returning home from Boonville, particularly this part of the route through the remote forests of Lewis County. The curves caught up with me after a while and I was taking them faster than I normally would. We fortunately made it back to state highways before dark, but not before some of the passengers in the back started to feel nauseous.

I remember a similar experience on OH 664 approaching Hocking Hills, but in that case I was the passenger. Our rest stop in Logan couldn't come soon enough!

kphoger

We found out the hard way that our youngest son can get carsick–both on the same trip, and both in Colorado.  The first was on CO-145 just west of Placerville, where the route winds along the San Miguel River bottom.  The second was on CO-119 south of Black Hawk, where the route follows North Clear Creek.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kirbykart

I was more just terrified, rather than nauseous, on the Mount Washington Auto Road.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 16, 2022, 12:29:50 PM
Does farting in the car count?

Sure, if you have mustered a far powerful enough in a car to induce nausea it probably was something truly next level. 

SectorZ

Quote from: kirbykart on December 16, 2022, 12:02:53 PM
I was more just terrified, rather than nauseous, on the Mount Washington Auto Road.

When I went up that at 8 years old as a passenger I was terrified as well. Drove up at age 20 for my second time up and it didn't bother me in the least. If you're a confident driver, control of your own destiny helps, a lot.

formulanone

PCH near Jenner, California in a minivan. Or honestly, many twisting roads, they way I drive. My wife has vertigo, so this is actually kind of frequent. We've joked that maybe I'm not such a bad driver after all.

To be honest, I usually get carsick if I try to read a book in a moving car for more than 10 minutes, so I've always kept my eye glued to the road and surroundings as a passenger.

Rothman

I used to get carsick -- up until I was a young teenager.  Haven't been in decades.  Usually got carsick in eastern KY on mountain roads.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SectorZ on December 16, 2022, 04:16:47 PM
Quote from: kirbykart on December 16, 2022, 12:02:53 PM

When I went up that at 8 years old as a passenger I was terrified as well. Drove up at age 20 for my second time up and it didn't bother me in the least. If you're a confident driver, control of your own destiny helps, a lot.

Interesting I do have issues with vertigo on rollercoasters and sometimes airplanes.  For whatever reason if I'm in control of a vehicle on a cliff-side road this doesn't seem to be a problem.  I don't have enough of a sample of mountain grades as a passenger to really determine if the vertigo issue would carry over.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 16, 2022, 05:39:28 PM
I don't have enough of a sample of mountain grades as a passenger to really determine if the vertigo issue would carry over.

My wife can get queasy if I take curves and dips too fast.  But, if she's the one behind the wheel, she can drive them fast with no problem.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

My kid got carsick once. But I don't think it was particularly due to my driving.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.