News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Possibly one of the unfriendliest and weirdest interchanges?

Started by Lytton, July 04, 2013, 07:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lytton

Anyway, there is this interchange (for me, I call it the "Waagaa Interchange") in Silverdale that, from satellite view it looks alright, but there is one flaw in the interchange's design.

http://goo.gl/maps/O2hA7

Yes, in order to get on some of the ramps, you're going to have to turn left with no divisor or anything. The reason why I'm saying is very unfriendly is because, for the average tourist or newcomer's perspective, it seems like if you're going on the wrong side of the road and are about to hit a bunch of cars.

Anyway, it is also weird due to the layout. It doesn't follow a typical layout, and it seems to have a custom layout.

Now, what do you think of this interchange?
Fuck GPS. I rather use my brain and common sense.

roadfro

It looks like a modified SPUI design shoehorned onto an existing bridge. I assume the left turns on the street go simultaneously.

It doesn't look like the geometry would provide an adequate spot to have a physical divider or median island. Keeping fresh cat tracks through the intersection would be key to making the intersection user-friendly.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

NE2

That westbound to southbound left turn doesn't even need to be there. There's a ramp doing the same thing after Greaves Way.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Lytton

Quote from: NE2 on July 04, 2013, 09:46:03 PM
That westbound to southbound left turn doesn't even need to be there. There's a ramp doing the same thing after Greaves Way.

That ramp after Greaves Way is the leftover from the old interchange layout before 2006. The interchange before 2006 looked even more confusing. If you go on Google Earth and use the historical imagery slider to 2004, you can see that the interchange is also a custom layout.

I don't even know why WSDOT even replaced it, that remains a mystery to me.
Fuck GPS. I rather use my brain and common sense.

NE2

Quote from: Lytton on July 04, 2013, 10:14:00 PM
If you go on Google Earth and use the historical imagery slider to 2004, you can see that the interchange is also a custom layout.
For those who don't care to download a separate program, there's also pre-change imagery here: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=47.66360,-122.69048&z=16&t=O
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

TEG24601

WSDOT sometimes seems like they are just an extension of the Alanland DOT.  They took a logical, if a bit odd interchange and completely flamingoed it up.  I can see they were trying to encourage people to use SR-303 instead of city streets, and to reduce left turns, but this is just moronic.  Either build a SPUI, buy up adjacent property to fix your errors, or do what Oregon did at OR-217 and OR-8/10, it would work so much better, and be so less confusing.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Sykotyk

Wow, the 2004 was bad with the deadend left turn for westbound, but that current interchange is just a mess.

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: Lytton on July 04, 2013, 07:48:31 PM
Anyway, there is this interchange (for me, I call it the "Waagaa Interchange") in Silverdale that, from satellite view it looks alright, but there is one flaw in the interchange's design.

http://goo.gl/maps/O2hA7

Yes, in order to get on some of the ramps, you're going to have to turn left with no divisor or anything. The reason why I'm saying is very unfriendly is because, for the average tourist or newcomer's perspective, it seems like if you're going on the wrong side of the road and are about to hit a bunch of cars.

Anyway, it is also weird due to the layout. It doesn't follow a typical layout, and it seems to have a custom layout.

Now, what do you think of this interchange?

The original plan for the WA 3/WA 303 (Waaga Way) was for a directional T (3Y) interchange, however there was some local opposition from environmental wackos .....
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

vtk

Quote from: NE2 on July 04, 2013, 10:39:04 PM
If you go on Google Earth and use the historical imagery slider to 2004, you can see that the interchange is also a custom layout.
For those who don't care to download a separate program, there's also pre-change imagery here: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=47.66360,-122.69048&z=16&t=O

What fraction of forum participants don't already have Google Earth?  I think for roadgeeks it's almost as commonplace as MS Word...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

english si

Quote from: vtk on November 19, 2013, 01:42:34 AMWhat fraction of forum participants don't already have Google Earth?  I think for roadgeeks it's almost as commonplace as MS Word...
I have neither.

I used to have Google Earth, but found I never used it.

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: vtk on November 19, 2013, 01:42:34 AM

What fraction of forum participants don't already have Google Earth?  I think for roadgeeks it's almost as commonplace as MS Word…

The old configuration allowed better flow between WA 303 and WA 3 to and from the north. It was originally a 1/4 parclo between WA 3 and WA 303 and the other movements were made possible from a full diamond interchange at WA 3 and Clear Creek Rd
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

doorknob60

Quote from: vtk on November 19, 2013, 01:42:34 AM

What fraction of forum participants don't already have Google Earth?  I think for roadgeeks it's almost as commonplace as MS Word...

I used to always have it, but as Google Maps advanced, I found myself using it less and less. Now, when I reinstall my operating systems, Earth usually doesn't find itself installed. I'll install it if I want to, but I usually don't need it now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.