Kentucky

Started by NE2, April 22, 2011, 07:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: Life in Paradise on April 01, 2021, 04:15:26 PM
Quote from: plain on April 01, 2021, 01:02:14 PM
There's a couple more places on the WK Pkwy (and one on the BG Pkwy) where the median is widened. It looks like they were made like that in case KY wanted to add service plazas there but they never built them.
One of those I believe is near Nortonville where a post of the Kentucky State Police is located.

Yes, and the other is just east of Leitchfield and may have be due to geographical/geological reasons. That's awfully close (relatively speaking) to the eastern end of the road to be useful as a service plaza.

And the one on the BG Parkway is in a hilly area where you go downhill as you are headed east, so I'm not sure it was suited for a travel plaza spot either, although it is located not too far west of the halfway point of the road.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

I just did a bunch of searches in old newspapers and came up with nothing on that particular spot for the Bluegrass Parkway.

wriddle082

Quote from: seicer on April 01, 2021, 08:34:52 PM
I just did a bunch of searches in old newspapers and came up with nothing on that particular spot for the Bluegrass Parkway.

I do remember construction equipment being staged in that wide median over the years for various construction projects.  I always found it notable because going westbound you would see the eastbound carriageway going straight and the westbound carriageway curving to the right off in the distance.  Whenever I saw that, I knew it was time to try to dig out 50¢ for my mom or dad to pay the toll at Bloomfield.

seicer

The one by Bloomfield is also used to dump carcasses.

Alps

I notice Kentucky uses a circular hood around its yellow signals but the red and green have the notched hoods. I'd say it's to avoid people guessing when the light turns yellow but... just look for when it's neither red nor green? Is there any other reason?

Scott5114

Quote from: Alps on April 08, 2021, 11:40:24 PM
I notice Kentucky uses a circular hood around its yellow signals but the red and green have the notched hoods. I'd say it's to avoid people guessing when the light turns yellow but... just look for when it's neither red nor green? Is there any other reason?

Might be acting on a belief that yellow light is more likely to get washed out by the sun than the other two.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on April 08, 2021, 11:40:24 PM

Don't know why, but I think we're the only state that does that. I probably ought to ask why.

Tom958

Forgive me if it's been mentioned before, but apparently there's an interchange being built on KY 15-80 at Morton Boulevard, about halfway down the grade between Hal Rogers Parkway-KY 80 and the KY 15 bridge over the North Fork of the Kentucky headed to downtown Hazard. Morton Boulevard is mainly an access road to the ARH hospital and various commercial parcels. It ends at one of the three at-grade intersections that profane the last mile of Hal Rogers Parkway.  :-D  I'm guessing that the interchange is mainly for safety, not capacity, eliminating the signalized intersection on what must be a somewhat hazardous grade.

Before construction, there's no left turn allowed from Morton onto 15-80, I suppose to shorten the cycle of the signal there. 

seicer

Photo from KYTC District 10:

What is referred to in the media as "Food City Hill" because of the grocery store:

It looks like it will be two lanes south and three lanes north to accommodate the climbing lane. A little disappointed that full acceleration lanes aren't being used here but I think the speed limit will remain at 45 MPH.

hbelkins

The no-left-turn prohibition at the old at-grade for Morton Boulevard onto KY 15 was due to superelevation reasons and the possibility of tipping trucks. I wondered about that for years and finally asked.

They're also turning the currently-signalized intersection at Perry Park Road into a grade-separated interchange. Both the signal eliminations are for safety and to improve the flow of traffic. This is the most-heavily-used stretch of roadway in the entire 10-county area of District 10. It has around 30,000 vehicles per day. In contrast, the busiest section of the Mountain Parkway has only 12,000 VPD.

Sherman, I'm not sure that acceleration lanes won't be used there. They're just not present in the current temporary configuration.

seicer

Gotcha. I'm surprised they didn't build an interchange with the bypass - removing the gas station to make room for the ramps.

froggie

Quote from: hbelkins on April 13, 2021, 03:12:32 PM
They're also turning the currently-signalized intersection at Perry Park Road into a grade-separated interchange.

How are they pulling that one off?  Did they take out the business on one corner and/or the rock ledge on the other corner?

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on April 13, 2021, 04:40:33 PM
They're also turning the currently-signalized intersection at Perry Park Road into a grade-separated interchange.

How are they pulling that one off?  Did they take out the business on one corner and/or the rock ledge on the other corner?
'

Cutting into the side of the mountain on the east side of existing KY 15 and elongating the new bridge over the river and KY 80/KY 550.

Quote from: seicer on April 13, 2021, 03:47:21 PM
Gotcha. I'm surprised they didn't build an interchange with the bypass - removing the gas station to make room for the ramps.

An interchange with the bypass was never considered. They did look at making the bypass-to-KY-15 movement the through movement but scuttled it due to ROW costs. That Double Kwik food mart is relatively new and would have been very expensive to purchase and demolish and relocate.

GCrites

Quote from: hbelkins on April 01, 2021, 12:32:39 PM
Quote from: ibthebigd on March 31, 2021, 10:52:54 PM
Is the old Service Plaza right past I-165 the only service plaza in Kentucky?

SM-G950U

Yes, it's the only one left. The two that were on the old Kentucky Turnpike are long gone.

I just looked at that one on Google (including pictures of the inside) and the current one is NOT a service plaza in my opinion. It's a standard dry carryout complete with chicken -- just like is all over the place in this part of the country. Was the old one more like a real service plaza?

plain

Quote from: GCrites80s on April 15, 2021, 10:48:44 AM

SM-G950U

Yes, it's the only one left. The two that were on the old Kentucky Turnpike are long gone.

I just looked at that one on Google (including pictures of the inside) and the current one is NOT a service plaza in my opinion. It's a standard dry carryout complete with chicken -- just like is all over the place in this part of the country. Was the old one more like a real service plaza?

It has a whole entire gas station and it's directly on the freeway... it's a service plaza.

For all that, the one on I-395 SB in CT must not be a "real service plaza" either..
Newark born, Richmond bred

GCrites

How about the gas stations in the medians of the Palisades Interstate Parkway? I look at those as just gas stations.

SkyPesos

No Kentucky Fried Chicken at that service plaza? Aww, I thought it would be a staple in KY Parkways service plazas.

GCrites

Quote from: plain on April 15, 2021, 10:58:48 AM
Quote from: GCrites80s on April 15, 2021, 10:48:44 AM

SM-G950U

It has a whole entire gas station and it's directly on the freeway... it's a service plaza.

For all that, the one on I-395 SB in CT must not be a "real service plaza" either..

According to my perusal, no it is not. I don't see enough seating. Also I no longer consider Subway a meal nor have I ever considered donuts and coffee one.

GCrites

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 15, 2021, 11:44:33 AM
No Kentucky Fried Chicken at that service plaza? Aww, I thought it would be a staple in KY Parkways service plazas.

No it's way more actual Kentucky for it to be a Chester Fried, Charlie Bigg's Chicken 'N Sauce or other gas station chicken. Which it has! The only real differentiation here is that the pizza is Godfather's rather than Hunt Brothers.

hbelkins

The old plaza had an Arby's, Cinnabon, and a couple of other places, and an unbranded convenience store along with the gas station.

If I'm not mistaken, the new plaza is a Huck's-branded c-store and gas station. I've stopped there once since it reopened.

GCrites

Those old Kentucky Turnpike service plazas looked pretty good. Were they always Glass House or did anything else come later?

74/171FAN

Quote from: hbelkins on April 13, 2021, 05:00:02 PM

'

Cutting into the side of the mountain on the east side of existing KY 15 and elongating the new bridge over the river and KY 80/KY 550.

An interchange with the bypass was never considered. They did look at making the bypass-to-KY-15 movement the through movement but scuttled it due to ROW costs. That Double Kwik food mart is relatively new and would have been very expensive to purchase and demolish and relocate.

Is this project still expected to be completed this year as indicated in this article?
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 15, 2021, 09:21:18 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 13, 2021, 05:00:02 PM

'

Is this project still expected to be completed this year as indicated in this article?

Well, I don't have any reason to doubt the guy they interviewed for that story last year.  :bigass:

Yes, they should have it substantially complete by the end of this year, depending on the weather not being too bad this summer. It's possible that the final surface may not be laid down until next year, but the bridge over the river/KY 550/Perry Park Road should open this year.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 15, 2021, 09:21:18 PM

Quote from: hbelkins on April 16, 2021, 07:12:46 PM
Well, I don't have any reason to doubt the guy they interviewed for that story last year.

Hey!  Move this to a new thread:  Roadgeeks in the Mountain News.

Dirt Roads

From the Reversible Lane thread:

Quote from: CardInLex on April 17, 2021, 10:23:12 AM
Lexington, KY's Nicholasville Road (US 27) has three center reversible lanes controlled by overhead LEDs. One of the lanes is always a two way left turn lane while the other two are through lanes, with the direction changing based on time of day.

Quote from: Dirt Roads on April 17, 2021, 11:09:29 AM
That's wild!  I was expecting a 7-lane roadway, but Nicholasville Road is only 5 lanes wide.  Do they ever flip all three lanes the same direction during rush hour, or does that only happen after UK football games?

I should have known better to reply to CardinLex with a question about Kroger Field traffic.  Let's try here to see if anybody knows the answer.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.