News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Major League and minor league baseball realignment

Started by Desert Man, April 29, 2018, 11:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Alps on May 01, 2018, 04:22:57 PM
Promotion and relegation only works in sports without a farm system. So how about MLS and the various soccer league in the USA?

Say what? In Spain the reserve teams play in the same pyramid as their parent teams, always at least one tier below them. And the promotion and relegation system would make less populated cities to be known among the population. Thanks to this I know the existence of the German village of Hoffenheim, which would be otherwise just an average German village that only the locals, their families and little else would know.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Alps

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 01, 2018, 06:17:09 PM
Promotion and relegation only works in sports without a farm system. So how about MLS and the various soccer league in the USA?

Say what? In Spain the reserve teams play in the same pyramid as their parent teams, always at least one tier below them. And the promotion and relegation system would make less populated cities to be known among the population. Thanks to this I know the existence of the German village of Hoffenheim, which would be otherwise just an average German village that only the locals, their families and little else would know.
What happens if the reserve team gets promoted to the same tier?

SP Cook

So how about MLS and the various soccer league in the USA?

MLS, Major (sic) League Soccer, is not an actual competitive sport, but more of a controlled competition exhibition, with all of the players working for the league, not the different teams (many of which belong to the same people).  It is not designed to be competitive. 

It is, as outlined in a excellent article linked in our soccer thread, more or less a Ponzi scheme. 

Desert Man

Vancouver, BC, Canada is a larger market than Portland, OR and has the Canadians minor league team in the short-season A Northwest League. Expect a 2nd or 3rd MLB team in Canada along with existing Toronto (AL) and formerly, Montreal (NL). In the first half of the 1990s, the Blue Jays were a winning team, and the strike ended the Expos' 1994 winning streak. I wondered if there would been an all-Canada world series if not for the strike.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Alps on May 01, 2018, 10:35:32 PM
What happens if the reserve team gets promoted to the same tier?

Simple: It doesn't get promoted. Instead, the promotion is passed down the classification. And should the first team be relegated, if the reserve team happens to be at the tier immediately below, it gets f*cked.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

MisterSG1

Quote from: Desert Man on May 02, 2018, 11:01:39 AM
Vancouver, BC, Canada is a larger market than Portland, OR and has the Canadians minor league team in the short-season A Northwest League. Expect a 2nd or 3rd MLB team in Canada along with existing Toronto (AL) and formerly, Montreal (NL). In the first half of the 1990s, the Blue Jays were a winning team, and the strike ended the Expos' 1994 winning streak. I wondered if there would been an all-Canada world series if not for the strike.

The Blue Jays were below 500 at the time of the strike, it's usually believed that the Expos (should they survive both rounds of the playoffs) would have faced the Yankees. But as you know, once the baseball playoffs start, anything goes.

Also, the fluctuation of the dollar makes Canadian markets in the Big 4 sports a significant risk to think about. I don't see any other Canadian cities having MLB teams to be honest.

Henry

Quote from: MisterSG1 on May 03, 2018, 11:18:35 AM

The Blue Jays were below 500 at the time of the strike, it's usually believed that the Expos (should they survive both rounds of the playoffs) would have faced the Yankees. But as you know, once the baseball playoffs start, anything goes.

Also, the fluctuation of the dollar makes Canadian markets in the Big 4 sports a significant risk to think about. I don't see any other Canadian cities having MLB teams to be honest.
Same with the NBA, as Vancouver lost the Grizzlies to Memphis in 2001; back then, they were an embarrassment of a team, losing at least 60 games in all but their final season there. The Raptors are far more successful, having been playoff regulars in the new millennium.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

MisterSG1

Quote from: Henry on May 04, 2018, 09:46:33 AM
Quote from: MisterSG1 on May 03, 2018, 11:18:35 AM

Same with the NBA, as Vancouver lost the Grizzlies to Memphis in 2001; back then, they were an embarrassment of a team, losing at least 60 games in all but their final season there. The Raptors are far more successful, having been playoff regulars in the new millennium.

Depending on ownership, I think having an NBA team in Vancouver or Montreal MAY be doable, but the team must be owned by either the Canucks or Canadiens respectively. The Raptors started off as an "enemy" organization to the Leafs, but in 1998, while the Raptors were building an actual arena to play in (yes they started off playing in the SkyDome...ugh) the Leafs bought the Raptors and the arena they were building and changed the plans slightly so it would be ideal to both hockey and basketball. Combine this with the arrival of the star power of Vince Carter, and this team was not going to have the same fate as the Grizzlies.

It may sound crazy, but I'm willing to bet that within Toronto city limits, and possibly the GTA, I would argue the Raptors are a more popular team than the Leafs, you don't see the younger crowd wearing any Leafs gear nowadays, but many wear Raptors gear. (I've always wondered on where people come from mostly to attend Leafs games nowadays)

As for the Raptors, playoff wise, they've only won playoff series in 2001, 2016, 2017, and 2018. This is actually believe it or not, only their 10th appearance in the playoffs in the 23 years they've been around.

jp the roadgeek

The only thing about a Vancouver franchise in MLB or the NBA is that it would not be a major rival of either the Blue Jays or Raptors.  While there may be a national rivalry with Toronto, their true rival would be the Mariners and either the Sonics 2.0 or Blazers.  I've never really thought of Montreal as a basketball city; about as much as I think of Pittsburgh or St Louis being one.  At least with Les Expos Part Deux, the Blue Jays would be a true rival (only 550 km [340 mi] down A-20 and The 401), plus you would have the draw of Boston fans from Northern VT and New York fans from far upstate who would rather travel an hour or two to see their team when they play there rather than travel 4-6 hours down to Fenway or Yankee Stadium/Citi Field.  It's just a matter of getting the funding for a new stadium; the fan base is there. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ixnay

Quote from: SP Cook on May 02, 2018, 09:36:38 AM
So how about MLS and the various soccer league in the USA?

MLS, Major (sic) League Soccer, is not an actual competitive sport, but more of a controlled competition exhibition, with all of the players working for the league, not the different teams (many of which belong to the same people).  It is not designed to be competitive. 

It is, as outlined in a excellent article linked in our soccer thread, more or less a Ponzi scheme.

I assume you mean the thread labeled "Futbol chatter".  That thread is at this posting ten pages long and finding that article would be for many looking for a needle in a haystack.  Could you link it to this thread, please?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Stephane Dumas

It might be slightly off-topic but I wonder where the independent leagues like the Can-Am League https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_American_Association_of_Professional_Baseball  and the current incarnation of the American Association https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Association_of_Independent_Professional_Baseball might fit in this scheme?  Some baseball players graduated from these leagues to play in Major League Baseball while some veterans decide to play in these leagues to extent their career a bit.

Had been once some exhibition games between teams from Independent leagues vs Major/A/AA/AAA clubs?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.