News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Oakland A's New Stadium talks

Started by bing101, November 28, 2018, 07:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: Alps on December 02, 2018, 04:32:35 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on December 02, 2018, 06:46:55 AM
Quote from: 1 on November 29, 2018, 10:25:41 PM
Quote from: jon daly on November 29, 2018, 08:12:46 PM
I fell like I accidentally crossed a line here that regulars know about but isn't apparent to less devoted posters like me.

I can't tell, either. And I'm a regular.
We have a few boarders whose spittle-flecked rants it's best to ignore, NE2 being one of them.
And you're another. No singling out people for attack.

Steve, pot, kettle, same color.  You know he does political crap to irritate people.  Ask you fellow mods.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

abefroman329

Quote from: Brandon on December 02, 2018, 08:40:06 PMYou know he does political crap to irritate people.
And, well, singles people out for attack.

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on December 02, 2018, 08:40:06 PM
I fell like I accidentally crossed a line here that regulars know about but isn't apparent to less devoted posters like me.

We have a few boarders whose spittle-flecked rants it's best to ignore, NE2 being one of them.

Steve, pot, kettle, same color.  You know he does political crap to irritate people.  Ask you fellow mods.
You know I can read your reports, right? Ass.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Alps on December 02, 2018, 10:59:30 PM

Ok everyone please calm down now. We shouldn't have this thread locked over pettiness.

jakeroot

Quote from: kevinb1994 on December 03, 2018, 12:29:00 AM
Ok everyone please calm down now. We shouldn't have this thread locked over pettiness.

I wouldn't worry about it ;-)

jon daly

jeff, I think you raise an issue, a good one, wrt maintaining one of these places. My remark wasn't completely serious.

Brandon

Yes, I do.  And stop being an ass.  This isn't the first time you've used your status as a "mod" to act in this way, Steve.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jon daly

Guys, this is on me. I failed to ignore a comment and let it get under my skin. If anyone should be yelled at or disciplined (banned, suspended, et cetera) it's me. I have a history of failing to live up to the norms here (posting in threads that are later locked, asking questions that have already been answered instead of looking them up, et cetera.) I should know better.

jon daly

Had I ignored things, this thread would have not snowballed. Therefore, I am ultimately responsible and I apologize for the unpleasantness that has resulted.

jon daly

I'll ask a question that I just asked at another online forum: What can I do to makes this a better place? Specifically for AARoads, where do my interests coincide with the forums interests and how can I provide the spark for more stimulating conversation?

jon daly

Sorry about the meltdown earlier. I'm surprised I didn't at least get a warning for it. My main internet experience has been in a non-moderated forum, so I'm not sure when I cross lines. But I did a little research earlier and it appears that I'd be notified if I actually were in trouble.

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on December 03, 2018, 07:02:54 AM

Yes, I do.  And stop being an ass.  This isn't the first time you've used your status as a "mod" to act in this way, Steve.
To tell someone to stop singling people out? I didn't warn you. I don't abuse my power. I don't understand your vendetta against me but I guess I never had a friend I thought I did.

Alps

Quote from: jon daly on December 03, 2018, 12:49:42 PM
I'll ask a question that I just asked at another online forum: What can I do to makes this a better place? Specifically for AARoads, where do my interests coincide with the forums interests and how can I provide the spark for more stimulating conversation?

Try to contribute original content and ideas on threads. Try to post once instead of 4 times. ;) You've done nothing wrong. We reserve moderation for people who either don't listen or really cause trouble that affects forum operation.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 02, 2018, 02:52:55 PM
Did the Vet really have its own criminal court to handle cases where attendees were arrested?
<sigh> Yes! This is true. (Though, for only half a season. You'll have to read the link for the entire story)
https://billypenn.com/2015/09/11/peeing-in-sinks-fights-in-the-stands-a-flare-gun-the-awful-antics-that-birthed-eagles-court-at-the-vet-and-why-it-went-away/
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

abefroman329

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on December 05, 2018, 11:13:49 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on December 02, 2018, 02:52:55 PM
Did the Vet really have its own criminal court to handle cases where attendees were arrested?
<sigh> Yes! This is true. (Though, for only half a season. You'll have to read the link for the entire story)
https://billypenn.com/2015/09/11/peeing-in-sinks-fights-in-the-stands-a-flare-gun-the-awful-antics-that-birthed-eagles-court-at-the-vet-and-why-it-went-away/
That was an interesting read, thank you.  Peeing in sinks was also popular at Lakewood Ampitheater in Atlanta, and I'm not really sure how that's illegal.

dvferyance

Quote from: The Nature Boy on November 29, 2018, 09:37:00 AM
Quote from: SP Cook on November 29, 2018, 09:23:39 AM
Same story as the last 14 Oakland stadium proposals, they just do not have the $$ and, neither does the government (SF's ballpark was paid for by the team). 

I look for the A's to be in Montreal by the mid 20s.  The current ballpark is long past it useful life.

I would hate to see the A's move to Montreal and they kill the "A's" name in favor of the Montreal Expos. There's so much history with that name, dating back to Connie Mack and the days in Philly, that I'd want the A's team name to survive.

The A's will probably move to Montreal but I don't know how to navigate the naming issue.
Baseball is never coming back to Montreal. If they move it would likely be either Nashville or Charlotte.

tdindy88

Nashville and Charlotte just build new AAA baseball stadiums. Both stadiums look nice but probably aren't the right size for a major league team. And I would imagine the citizens in both cities wouldn't want to build a new stadium right away.

kevinb1994

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 16, 2018, 09:21:58 PM
Nashville and Charlotte just build new AAA baseball stadiums. Both stadiums look nice but probably aren't the right size for a major league team. And I would imagine the citizens in both cities wouldn't want to build a new stadium right away.

How about that MLB stadium and team proposal for Portland? Same with Las Vegas? Could the A's follow the Raiders to Vegas or head north to Portland?

sparker

If & when the Howard Terminal stadium site is actually developed, it would be over the objections of most of the tourist-oriented businesses (hotels, restaurants, harbor tours, etc.) located around Jack London Square, just SE of the site along the estuary.  Even with a stadium scaled down to 34K seats, the traffic accommodations and parking requirements would be tremendous -- even if moderately distant and served by shuttles.  And it's hard to see Amtrak or UP, whose highly trafficked joint track flanks the stadium site, supporting this proposal, which would likely require multiple overheads for both patrons and vendors; "sinking" the tracks below ground level wouldn't be feasible due to (a) the twin Alameda tubes and (b) the recently opened (2008) downtown Oakland rail terminal. 

The political battle isn't over with this site selection -- it's just starting!  Bay Area socioeconomic political skirmishes are always entertaining -- grab a drink, pull up a seat, and watch.  Probably more entertaining than many baseball games!   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.