Best of Road Pictures

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, April 25, 2012, 10:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: PurdueBill on May 25, 2012, 09:12:30 PM
Quote from: Steve on May 25, 2012, 06:20:59 PM
What.. the... hell. I've been on Mass Ave how many times, and never noticed anything like that? What's the cross street, I'll grab it when I go to Maine over Memorial Labor Day.

EDIT: Never mind, found it. To all interested - right clicking on the photo shows you Patriot Self Storage. No longer the name, but it resolves to 968 Mass Ave.

Funny that the self-storage place has their old name out there...you'd think that they would want to post their current name (CubeSmart Storage apparently).  I took a bunch of pics of this sign.  With flash, the ancient button copy lights up spectacularly.

I tried sharing the pic on the Alps Roads facebook page, Steve...do you want it for your web site?  I got a couple other good pics last week in Maine and Mass that maybe you would like too.  (For example, the statement that the US 1B shield error for NH 1B may make up the only US 1B shield out there turns out wrong because Maine has some 1Bs and even a "Business US 1B" assembly up! :P )
Neat stuff, though I'll try to catch that when I go up to Maine. I have half a mind to use the extra day this weekend to get up to Boston and grab this sign.

AsphaltPlanet

That sounds like a waste of resources. Do you really think you could take a photo that looks different (or better) than what's there?
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Alps

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on May 26, 2012, 11:06:56 AM
That sounds like a waste of resources. Do you really think you could take a photo that looks different (or better) than what's there?
??? I've heard this argument before but it never made sense to me. I want my own photo of it. And I want to see it in the field.

PurdueBill

That's Steve's business.  Seeing the sign in person may be worth it too.

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Alex

Quote from: Steve on May 26, 2012, 12:20:13 PM
??? I've heard this argument before but it never made sense to me. I want my own photo of it. And I want to see it in the field.

I will echo what Steve says, there is something to be said about seeing it for yourself and having your own photo to enjoy later.

AsphaltPlanet

I suppose I wonder why anybody takes photos of anything if the audiences first reaction is always that they themselves need to drop everything and take a photo of it themselves. Seems a little bit disrespectful to the initial photographer, and makes it seem like we have all gotten carried away.

PurdueBill

Being the initial photographer, I can say that I am happy that Steve was wowed enough to want to see the location and sign himself.  If I hadn't gotten the photo, he wouldn't have known about the sign at all unless he managed to run across it in the future.  I suppose others may react differently, but that's my take anyway.

Steve, make sure you look for "Business US 1B" when heading NB on US 1 approaching Newcastle-Damariscotta.  I won't feel bad if you get your own picture!  :P

Alps

Neat! That should head over to "Worst of Road Pictures." I'm also one to be flattered when someone sees my photo and says "ooh, I never knew of that" and rushes out to see it themselves. The more, the merrier.

formulanone

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on May 26, 2012, 01:24:14 PM
I suppose I wonder why anybody takes photos of anything if the audiences first reaction is always that they themselves need to drop everything and take a photo of it themselves. Seems a little bit disrespectful to the initial photographer, and makes it seem like we have all gotten carried away.

I don't get offended if other people I know go take pictures of my kids, why is a sign any more holy than that? We all go to famous places around the planet, and still get a photo for ourselves, regardless of how many thousands of others may have done so themselves. I would consider it disrespectful if someone said "I could take a better picture than that" or defaced/removed it from service inappropriately.

Ian

^ I know that Business US 1B assembly very well! I pass by it every summer, and will be able to see it again in a few weeks. Luckily, Business US 1 itself has some nicer "best of road signs" material...

If any of you want to go and take your own photos of these, go ahead. I won't be mad.  :biggrin:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

CentralCAroadgeek

A vista on a hill along CA-152 west in Merced County.

national highway 1

Interesting how the left turn lane has not got a yellow line delineating the median.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

hbelkins

Waste of resources? Are you one of these "we have to conserve gas because we're running out and burning fossil fuels is destroying the environment" types?

If Steve has the time and Steve has the money and Steve has the desire to go see this sign in the wild, more power to him.

The new span now in place on the Eggners Ferry Bridge has been well-documented in photos and videos, but he still plans to come see it. A few years ago, I took some photos of the New Harmony Bridge between Indiana and Illinois and I'm sure Steve's seen them posted on my site. He wants to see the bridge for himself and get photos before it's possibly torn down. Am I offended that he wants his own photos rather than just seeing or using mine? Of course not.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

DBrim

Sometimes all you need is an excuse.  Or just need *something* to set as an alternate destination.  I went to take some photos of a sign that has already been photographed this weekend, but I turned it into a longer trip with some good photos and one pretty decent sign find.

Quote from: PennDOTFan on May 26, 2012, 06:48:54 PM
(Maine 129 photo)

If any of you want to go and take your own photos of these, go ahead. I won't be mad.  :biggrin:
There are still quite a few of these floating around.  They're getting rarer, still, but usually I'll stumble on one or two of them on every trip to Maine.

NE2

Quote from: hbelkins on May 28, 2012, 03:51:43 PM
Are you one of these "we have to conserve gas because we're running out and burning fossil fuels is destroying the environment" types?
:banghead:
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

I've booked a flight on two days notice for the explicit purpose of going to take one photograph.

6th St northbound at Pine St, Calumet, Michigan.  it should say "203/double arrow/to/41/right arrow" but I'll forgive them.

go ahead and get your own photos.  hell, go steal the signs.  better you get them, than the highway department melts them down and turns them into a guardrail.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on May 28, 2012, 03:51:43 PM

Waste of resources? Are you one of these "we have to conserve gas because we're running out and burning fossil fuels is destroying the environment" types?

If Steve has the time and Steve has the money and Steve has the desire to go see this sign in the wild, more power to him.

Steve has seen the sign in the wild. Steve is happy.

agentsteel53

glad to see that Mass Ave sign survive.  if I recall correctly, it is a green sign, but has faded almost completely to black by now.  

when I first found it, all-caps button copy wasn't all that rare so I thought "hm nice" and went on my way.  looking back at that gantry, it implies to me it may be middle to late 50s in construction, which puts it to the very beginning of button copy as a manufactured product.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

KEK Inc.

SR-520 from my dorm balcony.
Take the road less traveled.

kkt

Quote from: KEK Inc. on May 30, 2012, 12:51:39 AM

Nice shelter.  When I lived in McMahem for a summer we never had shelters like that.  You got a nice clear day for the picture, too.

You can also see my avatar, SR-513, in that picture.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: kkt on May 30, 2012, 02:19:40 PM

Nice shelter.  When I lived in McMahem for a summer we never had shelters like that.  You got a nice clear day for the picture, too.

Oh, we weren't supposed to have a canopy up in our balcony.  haha  The Resident Director caught us about a month into autumn quarter.

Yeah, I haven't seen a sign for SR-513, but I'm aware of its existence. 
Take the road less traveled.

kkt

Quote from: KEK Inc. on May 30, 2012, 03:31:44 PM
Quote from: kkt on May 30, 2012, 02:19:40 PM

Oh, we weren't supposed to have a canopy up in our balcony.  haha  The Resident Director caught us about a month into autumn quarter.

Yeah, I haven't seen a sign for SR-513, but I'm aware of its existence. 

There's one sign only (not one each way, one total).  That sign is northbound, just past Mary Gates Drive.  (Plus small markings on bridges, and "Junction" signs implying a state route as you approach 520 and 522).

DOT wanted to abandon 513 to the City, but that would mean the City would be responsible for the Montlake Drawbridge and the underheight pedestrian bridge to Hec Ed that trucks scrape all the time.

AsphaltPlanet

Rural Highway 7A in Ontario:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.