News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-69 Ohio River Bridge

Started by truejd, August 05, 2010, 10:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westerninterloper

Quote from: hbelkins on August 29, 2023, 01:52:34 PM
Quote from: wriddle082 on August 28, 2023, 04:17:39 PM
They will most definitely take the new route to avoid both Nashville and Louisville if they're traveling between Memphis and Indianapolis.  Memphis is an origin and destination point for a lot of trucks.  They will do everything they can to avoid Nashville.  It will put a big strain on US 51 in West TN, but that mileage is small compared to the overall route.  And once TDOT finally wakes up and sees the impact this will have on 51, they'll finalize prioritize building 69.

Memphis and Indy? Sure, because it appears to be a more direct route through a rural area with no big cities. I"ve already vowed never to drive I-40 between Nashville and Memphis ever again. That road is just so long and aggravating.

It might be worth noting that I-55/57/70 is 30 minutes shorter between Memphis and Indianapolis than the Nashville-Louisville route.

Doubtful anyone was taking that anyway to go directly to Indy from Memphis.

A completed I-69 will be a bit shorter than the westerly route, but not by much.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Indianapolis,+Indiana/Memphis,+Tennessee/@37.4339649,-90.6236938,7z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x886b50ffa7796a03:0xd68e9df640b9ea7c!2m2!1d-86.158068!2d39.768403!1m5!1m1!1s0x87d57e1eea439745:0xd193f315601ab6fe!2m2!1d-90.0489801!2d35.1495343!3e0?entry=ttu

I happen to Loooooove driving I-57 in Southern Illinois - beautiful hills in Little Egypt, and the road is very well constructed and pretty lightly traveled.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

ilpt4u

Quote from: westerninterloper on September 07, 2023, 03:47:40 PM
I happen to Loooooove driving I-57 in Southern Illinois - beautiful hills in Little Egypt, and the road is very well constructed and pretty lightly traveled.
The segment between 24 and 64 has a lot of truck traffic, especially during the week. Not as bad on the weekends, usually

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ilpt4u on September 08, 2023, 03:50:25 PM
The segment between 24 and 64 has a lot of truck traffic, especially during the week. Not as bad on the weekends, usually

I've driven that part of 57 several times and "a lot" is relative compared to 65/94 between Indy and Chicago.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ilpt4u

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 08, 2023, 04:15:29 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on September 08, 2023, 03:50:25 PM

I've driven that part of 57 several times and "a lot" is relative compared to 65/94 between Indy and Chicago.
I won't even mention the truck traffic on 80/94. "Concrete Railroad"  aptly applies. Is what it is to get around Lake Michigan

Regarding 65, I agree, but the Chicago-Indy traffic is more used to it and does better. The Southern IL population is a little different driving.

When I still lived up in Chicagoland I didn't like traveling I-65 between Indy and 80/94, but I-57 downright scares me sometimes. And the number of Morning or Evening news stories with a 57 closure and fatal accident is way too frequent. Thankfully, where I live, the segment between 24 and 64 doesn't have much utility for me

IDOT is continuing their project to 6-lane the segment. It is fully funded as well, just being done in stages. Will be much better when complete.

The fact that INDOT hasn't 6-laned 65 fully between 80/94 and 465 is downright bad. Needed done 15 years ago, and traffic, both commercial and passenger, has not lessened. That said, I think there is another thread for Indiana and 65 6-lane progress

edwaleni

It's not ITB quality, but here is some recent construction of I-69 in Henderson KY for the Ohio River Bridge.

New bridge over the North Fork of Canoe Creek.

Sapphuby

Looks like GSV, so I've gotta check this out. I've got this and the Indianapolis area construction on my watch, and I'm loving every bit of it.

edwaleni

Quote from: Sapphuby on September 09, 2023, 02:55:00 PM
Looks like GSV, so I've gotta check this out. I've got this and the Indianapolis area construction on my watch, and I'm loving every bit of it.

GSV = Yes

Images are from July 2023.

I checked Bing Aerial and they don't have it yet.

edwaleni

If you look in the background you can see the pylons for Kimsey Lane being stood up.

brad2971

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 24, 2023, 08:45:42 AM
Miss, Ark, and Louisiana will never build their portions  :-D

Neither will Tennessee, at least from Dyersburg to Memphis. Not unless the USDOT or the state's congressional delegation provides at least 90% of funding for that section.

jnewkirk77

Inspection time again for the US 41 SB bridge between Evansville and Henderson, and this one's gonna take a while:

https://www.courierpress.com/story/news/local/2023/09/21/lengthy-lane-closure-coming-to-u-s-41-southbound-twin-bridge/70921948007/?fbclid=IwAR1eGUkbNDg1ZztHFQV8CcmeecdYx1Rj9aNewrY6HW3-Pom3x9MpA0UIgC4

A December 2021 federal mandate requires states to inspect the welds on bridges made of T-1 steel for soundness before March 2024. The southbound bridge, which was completed in 1965, is made of the same steel as the I-64 and I-40 bridges that were closed for long periods in recent years due to welds cracking.

Traffic will be restricted to one lane southbound and no loads over 12' wide will be allowed.

ITB

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on September 21, 2023, 04:29:28 PM
Inspection time again for the US 41 SB bridge between Evansville and Henderson, and this one's gonna take a while:

https://www.courierpress.com/story/news/local/2023/09/21/lengthy-lane-closure-coming-to-u-s-41-southbound-twin-bridge/70921948007/?fbclid=IwAR1eGUkbNDg1ZztHFQV8CcmeecdYx1Rj9aNewrY6HW3-Pom3x9MpA0UIgC4

A December 2021 federal mandate requires states to inspect the welds on bridges made of T-1 steel for soundness before March 2024. The southbound bridge, which was completed in 1965, is made of the same steel as the I-64 and I-40 bridges that were closed for long periods in recent years due to welds cracking.

Traffic will be restricted to one lane southbound and no loads over 12' wide will be allowed.

I imagine they'll find some deficiencies. Better to be found, than overlooked.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: ITB on September 21, 2023, 05:38:07 PM
Quote from: jnewkirk77 on September 21, 2023, 04:29:28 PM

I imagine they'll find some deficiencies. Better to be found, than overlooked.
Is this one of the reasons that they planned to keep the older bridge and demolish the newer bridge when the I-69 bridge is completed?

jnewkirk77

Yes. It's a matter of "which one costs less to keep."

seicer

Correct.

I've noticed a lot of not-that-old pony trusses with welded plates in recent years being replaced with bolted plates. I am wondering if we are moving on from using welds in bridge construction because of the potential for cracking due to stresses or poor welds.

Rick Powell

Quote from: seicer on September 25, 2023, 02:19:38 PM
Correct.

I've noticed a lot of not-that-old pony trusses with welded plates in recent years being replaced with bolted plates. I am wondering if we are moving on from using welds in bridge construction because of the potential for cracking due to stresses or poor welds.

Not too many new trusses being built today, welded or bolted. There are advantages and disadvantages with each type for fastening the members to gusset plates in a truss. Theoretically a weld is a stronger connection but it is rigid and sometimes can fatigue more quickly than a bolted connection, where a little flexibility can be a good thing. Also, the requirements and process for field welding truss elements are somewhat more complicated than making a bolted connection, lending bolts as an easier constructable method.

Other than that, welds are pretty common in bridge construction; nearly any steel girder deeper than 40" is pieced together with shop welds.

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/cU2ueuJ1wKBf8skN6
I’m seeing this on GSV, but satellite imagery don’t show didley.

Then on US 60 no work has commenced.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/zSGcgxWe3FLxA4Mu6

The state website shows US 60 and KY 351 to be dumbbell interchanges.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

The Ghostbuster

Since construction of any project takes time, check back in a few years to see if any updates have been made to the Interstate 69 Ohio River Bridge corridor.

roadman65

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 29, 2023, 11:46:54 AM
Since construction of any project takes time, check back in a few years to see if any updates have been made to the Interstate 69 Ohio River Bridge corridor.

I'm going to take that part won't take long. It's obvious that they're working south to north, however the bridge itself is to be started in 2025 which will begin from US 60 to the state line north of the river. Indiana will commence in 2024 as that's another section and a new interchange with present I-69 will get done ( the remainder of today's I-69 will become part of an extended Veterans Parkway).
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ITB

Here's a representational bird's-eye view of the ORX project. Although a year old, it's still pertinent. I checked to see if it had been posted previously, but it seems not.

Lyon Wonder

Is the future I-69 Ohio River bridge still going to be a cable-stayed as originally envisioned?

pianocello

Quote from: Lyon Wonder on November 09, 2023, 08:33:43 PM
Is the future I-69 Ohio River bridge still going to be a cable-stayed as originally envisioned?

That final decision hasn't been made yet (as of last month).
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

triplemultiplex

Quote from: ITB on November 09, 2023, 05:06:52 PM

Here's a representational bird's-eye view of the ORX project. Although a year old, it's still pertinent. I checked to see if it had been posted previously, but it seems not.

Are they really building that massively overkill wye interchange on the Kentucky side?  I thought that was going to be a simple, low speed trumpet.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

zzcarp

Quote from: triplemultiplex on November 10, 2023, 12:24:18 PM
Are they really building that massively overkill wye interchange on the Kentucky side?  I thought that was going to be a simple, low speed trumpet.

No, it will be a trumpet. From the I-69 ORX website:

I've seen some images in the past showing that the trumpet may be converted to a conventional interchange that connects to Kimsey Lane as a local connector once the I-69 bridges are complete and US 41 isn't the detour route.
So many miles and so many roads

mgk920

Quote from: zzcarp on November 10, 2023, 02:49:48 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on November 10, 2023, 12:24:18 PM

No, it will be a trumpet. From the I-69 ORX website:

I've seen some images in the past showing that the trumpet may be converted to a conventional interchange that connects to Kimsey Lane as a local connector once the I-69 bridges are complete and US 41 isn't the detour route.

I can easily go along with that idea.

Mike

Henry

Quote from: pianocello on November 09, 2023, 11:00:54 PM
Quote from: Lyon Wonder on November 09, 2023, 08:33:43 PM

That final decision hasn't been made yet (as of last month).
Besides, the video depicts it as a regular box girder bridge. Based on that, I figure the Mississippi River bridge is also unknown.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.