News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Regions with similar-named places

Started by Bruce, September 13, 2019, 11:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Just a passing thought:

My county (Snohomish County) has cities named Everett and Arlington that are on two sides of another city (Marysville).

Middlesex County, MA has cities named Everett and Arlington that are on two sides of another city (Medford).

kevinb1994

Quote from: Bruce on September 13, 2019, 11:22:56 PM
Just a passing thought:

My county (Snohomish County) has cities named Everett and Arlington that are on two sides of another city (Marysville).

Middlesex County, MA has cities named Everett and Arlington that are on two sides of another city (Medford).
Don't forget about Medford in Oregon! And Salem, which was once a colonial-era capital of Massachusetts before it was moved to Boston.

roadman65

Washington in North Jersey.  Washington Borough, Washington Township in Warren County, and Washington Township in Morris County are close to each other.   In fact the first two are neighbors often confused with being one town, when in fact both have different municipalities.

Freehold is another as many think there is only one Freehold, NJ but in fact there are two.  Freehold Borough and Freehold Township also next to each other.  Again two different corporations.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Big John

Wiscon gas the Village of Pewaukee, which is surrounded by the City of Pewaukee.

kevinb1994

Quote from: roadman65 on September 14, 2019, 11:48:20 AM
Washington in North Jersey.  Washington Borough, Washington Township in Warren County, and Washington Township in Morris County are close to each other.   In fact the first two are neighbors often confused with being one town, when in fact both have different municipalities.

Freehold is another as many think there is only one Freehold, NJ but in fact there are two.  Freehold Borough and Freehold Township also next to each other.  Again two different corporations.
More confusing is the nearby township of Upper Freehold.

vdeane

In NY, the Town of Russia borders the Town of Norway and contains the Village of Poland.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Quote from: vdeane on September 14, 2019, 11:06:45 PM
In NY, the Town of Russia borders the Town of Norway and contains the Village of Poland.

The only place where Norway is east of Russia...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US 89

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 15, 2019, 03:20:19 AM

Except...

KEVIN_224

So many Washington names in New Jersey that one was changed. I believe it's now Robbinsville, Exit 7 from I-95/New Jersey Turnpike. Connecticut's Washington is somewhere in Litchfield County. The only Washington County names I know of in New England is Vermont (home to Montpelier) and the upper coast of Maine (a.k.a. "Downeast").

Scott5114

Quote from: US 89 on September 15, 2019, 10:13:28 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 15, 2019, 03:20:19 AM

Except...

You know, as I was posting that, I was thinking "Watch some fool find some random spot east of Kirkenes where the border is shaped just so that that's not true. Should I check in advance? Naaaah, nobody else is going to look it up..."

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on September 15, 2019, 11:15:03 AM

So many Washington names in New Jersey that one was changed. I believe it's now Robbinsville, Exit 7 from I-95/New Jersey Turnpike. Connecticut's Washington is somewhere in Litchfield County. The only Washington County names I know of in New England is Vermont (home to Montpelier) and the upper coast of Maine (a.k.a. "Downeast").

There is a Washington County, RI.  Most people call it South County, though.

CT is the only place where East Hampton is west of Hampton.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

index

York and Lancaster counties in SC and PA with their respective seats of York and Lancaster. Both also border each other.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

jeffandnicole

So many Washington names in New Jersey that one was changed. I believe it's now Robbinsville, Exit 7 from I-95/New Jersey Turnpike.

Actually, Exit 7A (195).    And to be clear, they didn't change a name because there were so many towns with one name - the town itself voted to change its name to its more familiar name. That's happened several times over the years by towns, regardless if it had a duped town name or not.

The Washington Twp, Gloucester County, is mostly known as Sewell, as it utilizes the Sewell post office, which presents its own issues.  Real Sewell is actually an unincorporated area within Mantua Twp, which is the next town over.  Those people living in Sewell, Mantua Twp pay taxes to Mantua, and the kids go to Sewell School and eventually to Clearview Regional High School.  Those living in the Sewell section of Washington Twp pay their taxes to Washington Twp, and the kids go to Washington Twp schools.

If you live in the towns, it all makes sense. If you're visiting and a bit lost, you could be a good distance away from where you want to be, or contacting the incorrect town for your needs.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 16, 2019, 12:22:58 AM
You know, as I was posting that, I was thinking "Watch some fool find some random spot east of Kirkenes where the border is shaped just so that that's not true. Should I check in advance? Naaaah, nobody else is going to look it up..."

That is a bad bet to take on this forum. :)

US 89

I don't normally do stuff like that, but you did say the only place... :bigass:

index

Quote from: index on September 16, 2019, 06:16:28 AM
York and Lancaster counties in SC and PA with their respective seats of York and Lancaster. Both also border each other.

Don't hold me to it, but I also remembered, I believe they have the same mottos as well - the red rose and white rose city.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

roadman65

Quote from: kevinb1994 on September 14, 2019, 02:08:09 PM

Also to mention that Upper Freehold is not even above Freehold.

Then Allentown (part of Upper Freehold) is too close to Allentown, PA.

Escambia County, FL and Escambia County, AL are neighbors.  Kent County, MD and Kent County, DE are also bordering each other.

Sheryl Crowe

TheHighwayMan3561

Ironwood and Iron Mountain, MI, and Iron River, MI and Iron River, WI.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

Quote from: US 89 on September 16, 2019, 05:50:14 PM

I don't normally do stuff like that, but you did say the only place... :bigass:

What's funny about it to me is that I have enough geographic knowledge that I was thinking of pretty much the exact spot you linked...but was too lazy to double check the shape of the border there. That'll show me.

GaryV

Quote from: roadman65 on September 17, 2019, 09:22:39 PM

Up stream or uphill?
Up doesn't always mean north.

hotdogPi

Quote from: GaryV on September 18, 2019, 07:10:18 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 17, 2019, 09:22:39 PM

Up stream or uphill?
Up doesn't always mean north.

I checked. Wikipedia gives a lower elevation for Upper Freehold than Freehold.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

KEVIN_224

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 16, 2019, 01:54:54 AM

There is a Washington County, RI.  Most people call it South County, though.

CT is the only place where East Hampton is west of Hampton.

Damn it! How did I forget about Rhode Island? Derp derp!!

One gets closer to Hartford and you get the Windsors. South Windsor is actually EAST of Windsor while East Windsor is a bit more NORTH/northeast of Windsor. Head up I-91 north and the town/city order is Hartford, Windsor, Windsor Locks, East Windsor...then Enfield, CT and Longmeadow, MA.

roadman65

Groton in CT is actually the name of two places.  Groton the city, east of the Thames River on I-95 and the Town of Groton that is to the east of the city.

I believe there are two Greenwich's in CT too.  Both a town and a city that neighbor each other, but are not coextensive.  People (like with Groton) consider them to be one, but they are with separate government entities.

Sheryl Crowe

golden eagle

Champaign County, IL and OH both have county seats named Urbana. Madison County, AL and MS are both home to the city of Madison.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.