News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What do people on here typically do on New Years Eve

Started by roadman, December 30, 2016, 02:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

Bragging to people on the Pacific Coast that at 12:01 AM, January 1st, 2XXX that I am from the future and that you should live here just to do that.

I also was meant to be in Massachusetts three days ago, but that never happened.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: noelbotevera on December 31, 2016, 10:00:41 PM
Bragging to people on the Pacific Coast that at 12:01 AM, January 1st, 2XXX that I am from the future and that you should live here just to do that.

I also was meant to be in Massachusetts three days ago, but that never happened.

There are advantages here though.  Basically the whole world still revolves around east coast time which means 10 AM start times for major sports events.

adventurernumber1

Most always for me, I am in some place other than home. This is because my family always goes on our winter vacation in the later part of Christmas Break, which means pretty much every year we have just arrived at our destination by the time New Year's Eve comes around (this year, we arrived just yesterday). This year I am in Steamboat Springs, Colorado (on a ski trip). I will say for the most part so far it has been a pleasant trip, minus a few issues that have come up. I was actually in New York City two years ago during New Years Eve and saw the ball drop. So every New Years is usually exceptionally good for me.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

noelbotevera

It's now January 1st, 2017, 12:04:46 AM Eastern Time.

7/8

I usually stay at home and play board games and card games with my family and watch the end of the countdown (switching between the New York and Niagara Falls countdowns).

I spent this New Years Eve playing Twilight Struggle (board game), COD Black Ops III (video game), Big Two (card game), and Catan (board game).

Darkchylde

Sleeping, gaming, or getting drunk. Not much else to do, sadly.

Otto Yamamoto

I'll trade ya. Two nurses didn't show, and I'm flying solo on a two nurse floor.

XT1254

bulldog1979

Our family tradition is to go out to dinner earlier in the evening before it gets too crazy at any of the restaurants in town. The later on, we open a bottle of wine, fix some shrimp and watch the ball drop on TV. After midnight, Mom would call family on the West Coast to talk to them from the future before going to bed. This year, both of my parents are sick with bad colds, so we stayed home for dinner and skipped the phone call because her voice is gone.

In years past, my parents would go out, and Grandma would watch my brother and I. In those years, we'd fix various snacks, play cards and watch the ball drop before going to bed.

sparker

My usual NYE is driving up to SF (as a non-drinker, I'm the automatic "designated" in our group), having dinner at Hunan Restaurant on Sansome, hitting a few clubs, and ending up at Pier 23 listening to jazz until about 1 a.m.  However, GF is out of town taking care of her sick goddaughter; the friends we usually do the NYE routine with are themselves sick (food poisoning from an overseas trip -- watch your food intake in Myanmar), and it's frigging cold around here and has been for the past couple of weeks.  So I snagged some BBQ, cranked up Miles Davis on the audio system, and am sitting here posting to this forum.  Fitting end to a forgettable year!  :-(

Max Rockatansky

Apparently sleeping for ten hours, I must have been tired and really not cared about the clock rolling over because I was out by 9:30 PM last night.  :-D

LM117

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 01, 2017, 10:44:35 AM
Apparently sleeping for ten hours, I must have been tired and really not cared about the clock rolling over because I was out by 9:30 PM last night.  :-D

I barely managed to stay awake long enough to see the ball drop. I was so tired that when I went to sit on the bed after it was over, I missed and crashed on the floor ass-first. Floors aren't as soft as they used to be... :pan:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

CNGL-Leudimin

Bragging to people on the USA that at 12:01 AM, January 1st, 2XXX that I am from the future and that you should live here just to do that.

Fixed for me :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

US 81

noelbotevera

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 01, 2017, 05:56:25 PM
Bragging to people on the USA and Spain that at 12:01 AM, January 1st, 2XXX that I am from the future and that you should live here just to do that.

Fixed for me :sombrero:.
Except the rest of my family celebrates New Years 13 hours ahead of me, so I fixed it for both of us.

xcellntbuy

Quote from: roadman on December 30, 2016, 02:05:45 PM
Personally, I normally stay at home and watch some of my favorite TV shows or movies I have on DVD that I haven't viewed in some time.  Last year, I watched the entire first season of CHiPS .  This year I plan to watch the entire first season of Rocky and Bullwinkle.
I did much the same, except my entertainment choices were Fractured Fairy Tales and various Russian car crash videos on YouTube.

freebrickproductions

I went out railfanning on New Years Eve. After that, I stayed up until 3 in the morning.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

slorydn1

Depends on my work schedule. Last year I worked New Years Eve nightshift. This year my wife and I were off so we just chilled out together, sipping champagne and waited for the ball to drop. I was asleep by 0130.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Duke87

For the majority of my lifetime I have spent New Years Eve at my aunt and uncle's house, since they throw a party annually for it. But in a couple recent years I've skipped it in favor of hanging out with my girlfriend/fiancée's friends/family.

I'm getting to the point where I'd love to just spend it at home so that I don't have to be driving anywhere after midnight and don't need to stay up later than necessary for it. But we'll see how I feel at the end of this year.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Buck87

Almost always just stay home and watch the ball drop on ABC, and usually go bed by 12:30.

JMoses24

PHLBOS

This year was more low-key for me.  I grabbed a bite to eat w/a friend then headed home around 10:30-11.  Watched a couple of DVDs and then went to bed around 12:30.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ZLoth

Because New Years Eve and New Years Day fall on a Saturday/Sunday, they were standard work days, with the actual New Years holiday being on January 2nd. My buddy works Saturday nights, and I work Sunday nights. Since he wanted to spend New Years Eve with family, I did a shift swap. I ended up working from home and had zero support calls.

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.