News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 42

Started by LM117, May 27, 2016, 11:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wdcrft63

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 22, 2021, 02:47:32 PM
^

Besides the fact this is now getting fictional...

Just construct a new location segment paralleling NC-73 and tie into I-85 northeast of Concord. No need to continue all the way into Charlotte to meet I-85 inside of I-485.
There is NO chance that US 64/NC 49 will be converted to interstates. Dream on in Fictional, folks.

sprjus4

Quote from: wdcrft63 on January 22, 2021, 06:09:54 PM
^

Just construct a new location segment paralleling NC-73 and tie into I-85 northeast of Concord. No need to continue all the way into Charlotte to meet I-85 inside of I-485.
There is NO chance that US 64/NC 49 will be converted to interstates. Dream on in Fictional, folks.
I agree, I'm just pointing out IF it were to happen, that's the most likely route. No way they would upgrade it inside of I-485.

Revive 755

Being North Carolina, I wouldn't go with no chance.  Very small or similar chance, maybe.

sturmde

Like many of the new NC Interstates since the 1990... I-42 is still mostly fictional.  I moved from NC almost 25 years ago, and 73/74 still isn't quite finished.

sparker

Quote from: sturmde on January 26, 2021, 12:51:16 PM
Like many of the new NC Interstates since the 1990... I-42 is still mostly fictional.  I moved from NC almost 25 years ago, and 73/74 still isn't quite finished.

Not really fictional, just simply unfunded/underfunded; this applies to 73/74 as well.  NCDOT just bites off a little too much at any given time and when issues crop up (hurricanes, COVID, etc.) they simply back off in regards to schedule.  The Rockingham bypass as well as I-74 east to at least I-95 should have been fully completed by this time -- but, in the vernacular, things happen.  But if history remains a valid indicator, NC will commission more new Interstate mileage before the current crop is even fully underway, much less done.   

Strider

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 22, 2021, 09:54:05 PM

Being North Carolina, I wouldn't go with no chance.  Very small or similar chance, maybe.

Not happening. That is for sure.

Roadsguy

Quote from: sparker on January 26, 2021, 05:18:02 PM
Quote from: sturmde on January 26, 2021, 12:51:16 PM

Not really fictional, just simply unfunded/underfunded; this applies to 73/74 as well.  NCDOT just bites off a little too much at any given time and when issues crop up (hurricanes, COVID, etc.) they simply back off in regards to schedule.  The Rockingham bypass as well as I-74 east to at least I-95 should have been fully completed by this time -- but, in the vernacular, things happen.  But if history remains a valid indicator, NC will commission more new Interstate mileage before the current crop is even fully underway, much less done.   

At least I-73 will be mostly finished in NC once the Rockingham bypass opens, with the last two segments to the VA and SC state lines just waiting on VDOT and SCDOT to build their first sections. I-42 is progressing pretty quickly, though, considering the designation isn't even a decade old yet.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

tjcreasy

Considering the lack of interstates in North Carolina that were planned and funded under the original interstate system, I think NC has done a good job in the modern era improving existing interstates and constructing new ones. Imagine if the original interstate system included I-40 beyond Greensboro? or I-77?  For starters I-485 would have been completed in the late 90s. I-540 would be complete AND without tolls. I-77 may have been widened through Mecklenburg County without tolls by this point as well. 

Serious question, what's the point of rapidly constructing I-73 and I-74 when no other states have been on board to build their portions?  For what its worth, I-73 is virtually complete.  I-42 which is a recent newcomer will be *functionally* complete within 10-15 years. That's not bad.  Large chunks of US 70 between Garner and New Bern meet interstate or near interstate standards today.  As for I-87, it serves little material benefit to the existing economic engines of NC so there should be no rush to complete that highway over other higher priority projects either since a considerable portion of that route is controlled access already. To that same point, the upgrades from Knightsdale to Williamston are relatively minor including shoulder widenings, and bridges that are up for replacement anyway.

mvak36

Quote from: tjcreasy on January 26, 2021, 10:11:43 PM
Considering the lack of interstates in North Carolina that were planned and funded under the original interstate system, I think NC has done a good job in the modern era improving existing interstates and constructing new ones. Imagine if the original interstate system included I-40 beyond Greensboro? or I-77?  For starters I-485 would have been completed in the late 90s. I-540 would be complete AND without tolls. I-77 may have been widened through Mecklenburg County without tolls by this point as well. 

Serious question, what's the point of rapidly constructing I-73 and I-74 when no other states have been on board to build their portions?  For what its worth, I-73 is virtually complete.  I-42 which is a recent newcomer will be *functionally* complete within 10-15 years. That's not bad.  Large chunks of US 70 between Garner and New Bern meet interstate or near interstate standards today.  As for I-87, it serves little material benefit to the existing economic engines of NC so there should be no rush to complete that highway over other higher priority projects either since a considerable portion of that route is controlled access already. To that same point, the upgrades from Knightsdale to Williamston could relatively minor including shoulder widenings, and bridges that are up for replacement anyway.

I agree with you about I-42 and I-87.

As mentioned above, I-73 will be mostly done once the bypass is completed. As far as I-74/US74, I think they should work on getting the parts from Rockingham to Wilmington done as soon as they can get funding for it. If there are going to be hurricanes like the ones they have seen the past few years, it wouldn't hurt to have another interstate-grade evacuation route.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

snowc

^

Could it be an Western Extension of I-87? The Asheboro Bypass has already the necessary prerequisites to become an Interstate!  :hmmm:
ADDING on to what I said: I-87 goes right now on I440 and Knightdale Bypass. if it was to EVER go onto I-40 where former I440 was, go on Exit 293, and follow US 64 toward asheboro, then this would've been possible. Maybe in the near future?

The Ghostbuster

If Interstate 87 were extended westward, I would imagine sending down the US 1 corridor towards Rockingham. In reality, Interstate 87 probably will never be extended westward. Heck, it will be a long time before it extended eastward (and northward beyond Williamston). I also doubt Interstate 42 will go further west either. To me, it is a little ironic both Interstates have a terminus at Interstate 40 (one existing, one future).

architect77

Quote from: Strider on January 26, 2021, 07:15:43 PM
But that route was pegged as an important route as an alternate to I-85 between Raleigh and Charlotte. Remember back in the 2000s when Texas was going to build a 50 lane wide corridor through that state, NCDOT presented long range plans to amek 49/64 an important freight or trucking route, and it would be bigger and upgraded. Don't know if that's still being considered  That's my way of going home. I-85 is too crowded and longer in distance. I like 49/64. Being North Carolina, I wouldn't go with no chance.  Very small or similar chance, maybe.

The Ghostbuster

As long as we're designating corridors that probably won't become Interstates, here's my two cents: Designate the C.F. Harvey Parkway as future Interstate 142.

ahj2000

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 09, 2021, 12:49:42 PM
As long as we're designating corridors that probably won't become Interstates, here's my two cents: Designate the C.F. Harvey Parkway as future Interstate 142.
I've always wondered what the point of that roadway was. Is there a reason northern Kinston needs an expressway? Is it all airport traffic?
Is it some segment of a future bypass (Lord knows NCDOT loves a bypass)

dfilpus

Quote from: ahj2000 on February 09, 2021, 01:17:29 PM
I've always wondered what the point of that roadway was. Is there a reason northern Kinston needs an expressway? Is it all airport traffic?
It was built to handle truck traffic to/from the NC Global TransPark, as well as airport traffic.

wdcrft63

Quote from: dfilpus on February 09, 2021, 02:37:50 PM
It was built to handle truck traffic to/from the NC Global TransPark, as well as airport traffic.
And, perhaps, to extend up NC 11 to meet I-587 at Greenville.

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 09, 2021, 06:08:53 PM
Quote from: dfilpus on February 09, 2021, 02:37:50 PM
And, perhaps, to extend up NC 11 to meet I-587 at Greenville.

Yep. There's an ongoing construction project to extend the parkway to NC-11. The idea is to give the GTP easy access to Greenville and Hampton Roads (via the I-87 connection in Bethel). Over the last few years, Greenville and Kinston have been pushing to have the NC-11/US-13 corridor between Kinston and Bethel designated a future interstate. A bill was introduced in Congress in September 2016, but it went nowhere. No further attempt has been made so far.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/6105/text

The mayors of Kinston and Greenville that pushed for this have since left office, and Rep. Walter Jones died, so I don't know how much appetite there is for it these days. I haven't heard or read anything about it in quite a while.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

sprjus4

While the overall priority for any of the corridor upgrades, outside perhaps I-42, are low, I'd argue completing I-87 to Virginia should be a higher priority than upgrading NC-11 / US-13 at the current time. Ultimately in the long run, however, having that corridor also apart of the system would be beneficial.

The current C.F. Harvey Pkwy extension will open up a four-lane divided highway connection between the GTP and NC-11 North, replacing a trip that currently involves taking miles of narrow backroads for any northbound traffic.

architect77

Well 64 is already 4 lanes mostly divided. And NC49 is slowly being 4-laned in a few sections too.

If you didn't see my comment buried in the quotes incorrectly, here it is again:

But that route was pegged as an important route as an alternate to I-85 between Raleigh and Charlotte. Remember back in the 2000s when Texas was going to build a 50 lane wide corridor through that state, NCDOT presented long range plans to amek 49/64 an important freight or trucking route, and it would be bigger and upgraded. Don't know if that's still being considered  That's my way of going home. I-85 is too crowded and longer in distance. I like 49/64.

ahj2000

Quote from: architect77 on February 17, 2021, 01:38:25 PM

Well 64 is already 4 lanes mostly divided. And NC49 is slowly being 4-laned in a few sections too.

If you didn't see my comment buried in the quotes incorrectly, here it is again:

But that route was pegged as an important route as an alternate to I-85 between Raleigh and Charlotte. Remember back in the 2000s when Texas was going to build a 50 lane wide corridor through that state, NCDOT presented long range plans to amek 49/64 an important freight or trucking route, and it would be bigger and upgraded. Don't know if that's still being considered  That's my way of going home. I-85 is too crowded and longer in distance. I like 49/64.
NC is going to need a new E-W corridor. The 40/85 multiplex is going to get overwhelmed sometime, especially with the rate the state is going. Another option from Charlotte to the Triangle would help reduce traffic. 64 could cover a lot of that traffic and help reduce the problems on 85/40.

sparker

Quote from: ahj2000 on February 17, 2021, 03:07:39 PM
Quote from: architect77 on February 17, 2021, 01:38:25 PM

NC is going to need a new E-W corridor. The 40/85 multiplex is going to get overwhelmed sometime, especially with the rate the state is going. Another option from Charlotte to the Triangle would help reduce traffic. 64 could cover a lot of that traffic and help reduce the problems on 85/40.

If opposition from the Southern Hills "snobatorium"* can be overcome or circumvented, a Charlotte-Triangle "relief route" would more likely utilize the US 74 corridor east to Rockingham (including the existing tolled Monroe bypass) and then up US 1, largely freeway (albeit in need of upgrades) to Raleigh.  One would think that Charlotte-Rockingham is already on the radar (along with Columbus-Kings Mountain) as a potential Interstate corridor connecting the western part of the state with the I-73/74 project; this would be a logical extension of that if the need for such a relief route were to be demonstrated (and the above condition re "golf central" were to be satisfied).

*RIP, Rodney Dangerfield!

abqtraveler

It looks like Google Maps has jumped the gun in labeling the US-70 bypass around Goldsboro as I-42. Not sure if North Carolina plans to seek interstate designation for sections that meet interstate standards in the near future, or wait until the entire I-42 corridor is completed before applying the interstate designation.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.3046416,-77.8185494,2501m/data=!3m1!1e3
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

sprjus4

Quote from: abqtraveler on February 18, 2021, 10:59:34 AM
It looks like Google Maps has jumped the gun in labeling the US-70 bypass around Goldsboro as I-42. Not sure if North Carolina plans to seek interstate designation for sections that meet interstate standards in the near future, or wait until the entire I-42 corridor is completed before applying the interstate designation.

That lone I-42 shield has been on Google Maps for at least a year at this point... NCDOT has gotten approval to sign the Goldsboro Bypass as I-42 since it meets interstate standards and connects to I-795, though so far has not officially posted any shields.

snowc

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 18, 2021, 11:14:37 AM

That lone I-42 shield has been on Google Maps for at least a year at this point... NCDOT has gotten approval to sign the Goldsboro Bypass as I-42 since it meets interstate standards and connects to I-795, though so far has not officially posted any shields.
Now were getting somewhere.

74/171FAN

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 18, 2021, 11:14:37 AM

When was that?  I do not remember seeing it in any AASHTO Meeting approvals.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.