News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Longest Interstate You Haven't Been On

Started by adwerkema, September 15, 2018, 11:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TEG24601

I-40.

Been on 90, 80, but have never once traveled on I-40.  The one chance I had, at age 5, my parents were driving only on US Routes, until we got to I-70.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

cenlaroads

ozarkman417

I-10.
Second place would be I-25 but I was on it for a half mile in Downtown Denver.

TheGrassGuy

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

deathtopumpkins

I started to say I've never been on I-10, but then remembered New Orleans...

So for me it's I-15, and I don't anticipate that changing any time soon.

As for US highways, it's US 87. Though several longer ones I only have a small concurrency on an interstate.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

nexus73

I-95.  Believe it or not I have yet to see the Atlantic Ocean in person.  On the other hand the Pacific Ocean gets seen regularly and when the Cascadia Subduction Zone quake breaks loose, I will see the ocean come to within a stone's throw of my place.  Good thing that I live on the highest point of land for this end of town!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Beltway

Quote from: nexus73 on November 27, 2019, 01:50:34 PM
I-95.  Believe it or not I have yet to see the Atlantic Ocean in person.  On the other hand the Pacific Ocean gets seen regularly and when the Cascadia Subduction Zone quake breaks loose, I will see the ocean come to within a stone's throw of my place.  Good thing that I live on the highest point of land for this end of town!  Rick
Not difficult when you live on the opposite coast, to not see the other ocean.

I have only seen the Pacific Ocean once in person, in 2000.  I made sure and dipped my bare feet into it so that I could say that I have been "in" the ocean!

I have been on I-5.

For the Great Lakes, I have dipped my feet into Lake Erie and Lake Ontario, and have done full body swimming in Lake Michigan.

Have not yet seen Lake Huron or Lake Superior in person.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Rothman

Huh...Great Lakes:

Touched Superior, swam in Huron, boated on Erie, but I don't think I've actually touched Michigan or Ontario.  Seen them and been right up to the water, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Brandon

Quote from: Brandon on September 15, 2018, 11:48:15 AM
Longest ones I haven't been on include I-16, I-19, I-27, I-78, & I-82, & the eastern I-84.  Of these, The eastern I-84 is the longest.

Since then things have changed.  It's now I-16.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on November 27, 2019, 03:20:32 PM
I-95.  Believe it or not I have yet to see the Atlantic Ocean in person.  On the other hand the Pacific Ocean gets seen regularly and when the Cascadia Subduction Zone quake breaks loose, I will see the ocean come to within a stone's throw of my place.  Good thing that I live on the highest point of land for this end of town!  Rick
Not difficult when you live on the opposite coast, to not see the other ocean.

I have only seen the Pacific Ocean once in person, in 2000.  I made sure and dipped my bare feet into it so that I could say that I have been "in" the ocean!

I have been on I-5.

For the Great Lakes, I have dipped my feet into Lake Erie and Lake Ontario, and have done full body swimming in Lake Michigan.

Have not yet seen Lake Huron or Lake Superior in person.
I've only seen the Pacific Ocean twice, Hawaii and Southern California, both in the past decade. Never been to any other western state.

The furthest west my regular (at least once per year) travels take me is Texas.

kphoger

Very off-topic...

I've been swimming in Lake Michigan @ Chicago (IL), the Indiana Dunes, and Manistique (UP Michigan)
I've been swimming in Lake Erie @ Rondeau Prov. Park (ON)
I've been swimming in the Pacific Ocean @ Newport Beach & some other beach (CA) and San Francisco (Nay)
I've been to the beach at the Gulf of Mexico but didn't go swimming because of riptide @ Galveston (TX)
I've never been in the Atlantic Ocean, although I have been on a ferry across the Nantucket Sound.

I don't recall ever having been to Lake Superior, Lake Huron (unless you count I-75 over the Straits of Mackinac, or Lake Ontario.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

sprjus4

Quote from: kphoger on November 27, 2019, 03:37:38 PM
Very off-topic...

I've been swimming in Lake Michigan @ Chicago (IL), the Indiana Dunes, and Manistique (UP Michigan)
I've been swimming in Lake Erie @ Rondeau Prov. Park (ON)
I've been swimming in the Pacific Ocean @ Newport Beach & some other beach (CA) and San Francisco (Nay)
I've been to the beach at the Gulf of Mexico but didn't go swimming because of riptide @ Galveston (TX)
I've never been in the Atlantic Ocean, although I have been on a ferry across the Nantucket Sound.

I don't recall ever having been to Lake Superior, Lake Huron (unless you count I-75 over the Straits of Mackinac, or Lake Ontario.
I've been in the Atlantic (Virginia Beach, Outer Banks) and Pacific (Honolulu) Oceans, along with the Gulf of Mexico (Corpus Christi / Padre Island). Have yet to go inside the Great Lakes.

Edit to add: Also have been to Pensacola Beach and Gulf of Mexico there. Very nice beaches, some of the best I've ever been to.

Beltway

How about surfing ... where have you surfed?  As in board surfing.

I have in the Atlantic Ocean, Melbourne FL area, in the 1960s as a teenager; never was very good at it.

Nowhere else ...  The Atlantic and Pacific have many good surfing places, and (don't laugh) in certain weather Lake Superior and Lake Michigan have enough surf to make it feasible.

I have been to the Gulf of Mexico, Captiva Island near Fort Myers, FL.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Rothman

At least in Superior, WI, half the surfers end up hypothermic.  Lake Superior is cold.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Beltway

Lake Michigan even in the summer and even at the southern end is cold.

I remember as a teenager going in an inch at a time, took about 10 minutes before I would be in up to my neck, at the beach in Chicago.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

webny99

I-95.  Believe it or not I have yet to see the Atlantic Ocean in person.

It could be worse - I'm much, much closer to the Atlantic, and I haven't seen it in person either.

Quote from: Rothman on November 27, 2019, 03:22:49 PM
Huh...Great Lakes:

Seen and been in both Lake Erie and Lake Ontario at multiple different locations.
Seen the other three Great Lakes, but not touched them (at least not that I can recall).

It's funny, visitors often question whether Lake Ontario actually is the ocean.

KEVIN_224

I have only been within sight of Lake Michigan at ground level maybe twice. I never went into it.

Longest N/S interstate I've never been on? Probably I-85. I-89 is the one I'm missing in New England.
Longest E/W interstate I've never been on? Probably I-94. I've been in it's median in Chicago via the CTA Subway though. Otherwise, it'd likely be the current I-86 in PA and NY.

nexus73

Quote from: Beltway on November 27, 2019, 04:01:08 PM
How about surfing … where have you surfed?  As in board surfing.

I have in the Atlantic Ocean, Melbourne FL area, in the 1960s as a teenager; never was very good at it.

Nowhere else …  The Atlantic and Pacific have many good surfing places, and (don't laugh) in certain weather Lake Superior and Lake Michigan have enough surf to make it feasible.

I have been to the Gulf of Mexico, Captiva Island near Fort Myers, FL.

Oregon surfing is done with wet suits.  Guess what that makes you look like to a shark?  FOOD!  Seals are a protected species here even though they gobble up fish like crazy and in due turn the sharks swarm in to eat the seals and on occasion a surfer gets a not so friendly encounter.  A friend of mine who also went to the same high school as I did was surfing here on the South Coast and had a chunk of his board removed by a shark.  This was noteworthy to make the news in USA Today when I was living in Utah during the mid 90's. 

Glad he survived the encounter.  "Death by shark" is not something most people think of but you do have to watch out over here for just such a thing happening.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

sprjus4

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 23, 2019, 05:55:34 PM
It'd have to be I-94 for me.

Been on I-90 in the Cleveland metro, I-80 on the Ohio Turnpike, I-40 in Barstow & between Greensboro and I-95, I-10 in the Los Angeles metro & between Pensacola and Houston, I-70 between I-81 and the Pennsylvania Turnpike, I-95 in many different sections between Miami and New York City, and I-75 in the Atlanta metro.
Being more specific...

For east/west - I-94
For north/south - I-25

Been on I-35 between San Antonio and Dallas, I-15 between San Diego and Barstow, and I-5 between Wheeler Ridge and San Diego.

Beltway

Quote from: nexus73 on November 27, 2019, 07:57:31 PM
Oregon surfing is done with wet suits. 
Wintertime in Florida the water is cold enough that they usually use a wet suit.

Granted it is far about the hypothermia level, but it is cold enough to be rather uncomfortable.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

HTM Duke

As far as north-south interstates go, mine would be I-15.  I-5 is a very close second, given the short difference in total length between the two.

In terms of east-west overall, it would be I-44.  However, if I were to break down I-84 into two segments given the gap between them, then the western half of I-84 would be the winner.
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

TheGrassGuy

For US Routes, it's US 60.
And for NJ State Routes, it's NJ 47.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Roadsguy

I almost would've said I-90, the most boring answer to this question, but I was almost certainly on at least a small part of it (albeit not driving) as a kid during a trip to Niagara Falls, so that would leave I-10.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

roadman

For me, that would be Interstate 10.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

amroad17

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.