News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Uncommon Street Name Suffixes

Started by Alex, July 29, 2009, 01:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briantroutman

Williamsport, PA has Via Bella (not Via Bella Street as mislabeled on Google and Apple Maps). It's essentially a frontage road providing downtown access to and from I-180. In this case, I suppose Via would be the suffix or "generic odonym" .

Quote from: lepidopteran on May 03, 2016, 11:09:16 PM
Regarding "Mews", there appear to be a lot of these in England.

A mews is a row of horse stables (or garages, in more modern times) with townhouses above them. In England, these mews probably are true to their name. In the US, it seems to be a term gratuitously used by suburban olde towne fake downtown developments.

roadman65

I never saw Trafficway before I visited Kansas City, MO.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

Quote from: briantroutmanA mews is a row of horse stables (or garages, in more modern times) with townhouses above them. In England, these mews probably are true to their name. In the US, it seems to be a term gratuitously used by suburban olde towne fake downtown developments.

The example I cited is in one of the older neighborhoods of Norfolk, VA.

empirestate

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 02, 2016, 10:55:12 PM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on May 02, 2016, 10:35:38 PM
How about the suffix 'Mall', on a road that doesn't border (or is private) a shopping mall?

Graham Mall is the example I can think of here. It does have to do with a transit 'mall', so I guess that doesn't count. Maybe?

Pall Mall and The Mall in London are probably the classic examples, although the Brits don't pronounce "mall" in the same way North Americans do.

They probably also wonder why Americans can't recognize your basic mall unless it's enclosed and has shops along it. :-D

The street I grew up on had a mall down its center, which was basically where kids went to play outside. "Going to the mall" didn't have the meaning for me that it now has for most American kids until much later.

GaryV

Quote from: lepidopteran on May 03, 2016, 11:28:33 PM
Then there's "Highway", for roads that are not necessarily freeways.
Lenawee County, MI, has dead end dirt roads that are called "Highways".

opspe

Got a few bumps here.

There's a few double-suffixed streets in Portland, such as SW Market Street Drive: https://goo.gl/maps/neu6PS557Hp.  There's also SW Ford Street Drive, SW Mill Street Terrace, and SW Broadway Drive (as opposed to plain old SW Broadway).  Another interesting one is NE Alameda, which officially has no street suffix because it's more or less the Spanish equivalent of "Broadway".

In Vancouver, there are several Diversions: Kitsilano Diversion, Victoria Diversion, Boyd Diversion: https://goo.gl/maps/cNvyUdm5FEo    There are also a few Connectors: Cassiar Connector, Aurora Connector (which they actually abbreviated): https://goo.gl/maps/fsJH3TCXMny

rarnold

Some areas of Idaho use "grade" as a suffix for roads. Santa Fe also uses avienda, calle, and camino as well as trail.

JustDrive

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 29, 2009, 01:45:37 PM
A friend of mine lives on a Hollow in Austin, TX. 

Here in California we have plenty of examples of Avenida, Camino and Calle as prefixes, not suffixes, because that is how the Spanish language works. 

This leads to a street clearly named by someone who didn't speak Spanish: Camino Road.

Alameda Street in Los Angeles translates to "Parkway Street"

TEG24601

Quote from: JustDrive on July 09, 2016, 01:26:29 AM

Here in California we have plenty of examples of Avenida, Camino and Calle as prefixes, not suffixes, because that is how the Spanish language works. 

This leads to a street clearly named by someone who didn't speak Spanish: Camino Road.

Sounds like the few places I've seen Broadway Street, Broadway Avenue, and Broadway Boulevard... when Broadway is already suffixed... way.  Thankfully Seattle really confuses people with a Broadway and a Broad Street.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

bzakharin

Quote from: TEG24601 on July 09, 2016, 10:28:43 AM

Sounds like the few places I've seen Broadway Street, Broadway Avenue, and Broadway Boulevard... when Broadway is already suffixed... way.  Thankfully Seattle really confuses people with a Broadway and a Broad Street.
Ha! New York has three Broadways and four Broad Streets. Manhattan has both, two blocks apart from each other. The Bronx and Queens have both as well. The continuation of Brooklyn's Broadway into Manhattan (under a different name) comes within two blocks of Manhattan's Broadway. Interestingly, the Broad Streets last only a few blocks, while the Broadways are major arteries.

TR69

Louisville has Evergreen Wynde.

Louisville also has Third Street Road and Seventh Street Road.

Rothman

Quote from: bzakharin on July 18, 2016, 12:06:58 PM
Quote from: TEG24601 on July 09, 2016, 10:28:43 AM

Ha! New York has three Broadways and four Broad Streets. Manhattan has both, two blocks apart from each other. The Bronx and Queens have both as well. The continuation of Brooklyn's Broadway into Manhattan (under a different name) comes within two blocks of Manhattan's Broadway. Interestingly, the Broad Streets last only a few blocks, while the Broadways are major arteries.

Meh.  I wouldn't consider the Williamsburg Bridge Brooklyn's Broadway.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ModernDayWarrior

There are several streets in Missouri with the prefix "Trafficway," particularly in Kansas City. It often gets abbreviated to "Trfwy" and I remember being really confused by it when I was younger.

kphoger

Quote from: ModernDayWarrior on July 19, 2016, 02:18:55 PM
There are several streets in Missouri with the prefix "Trafficway," particularly in Kansas City. It often gets abbreviated to "Trfwy" and I remember being really confused by it when I was younger.

As stated in the original post.

Quote from: Alex on July 29, 2009, 01:24:27 PM
Was thinking about this when looking at my rand earlier. We are all familiar with the standard street name suffixes like Street, Road, Boulevard, Parkway, Freeway, Expressway, Avenue, etc., but occasionally (and perhaps regionally) we will find a different suffix. There was a post the other day that referred to the Norwood Lateral, and on my recent trip to California, I traveled the Sausalito Lateral. How often is that one used? In Kansas they use the suffix Trafficway, and I was reminded in a recent post of OKC's Tinker Diagonal and found a Turner Diagonal in the Kansas City area just now. Then there are the instances where there is no suffix, such as Richmond's "Boulevard". What others are out there?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

epzik8

Columbia, Maryland is extremely infamous for this. A family who's friends with mine (specifically, that father and my father have been friends for ages) lived on a street suffixed "Hill" in Columbia. The area has suburban streets and cul-de-sacs with such suffixes as "Ride", "Sky", "Row", "Run", "Spring", "Star", "Calm", "Clover" and "Screen". It even extends into neighboring Ellicott City and Clarksville. The planners seemed to be extremely fond of "Hill" and "Row". My dad's sister, brother-in-law and my cousins, who lived more on the line between Columbia and Clarksville, were fortunate enough to live on a "Court".
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jay8g

Apparently, there is an actual street in Seattle with the suffix "driveway" (Drwy on the signs).

bzakharin

There are a bunch off signed Driveways (Dwy on signs) off of Wood Avenue in Iselin, NJ (e.g. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5611186,-74.3264692,3a,75y,79.18h,86.94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDGUuniB8MLpezEDZPr_y1w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1). At one point, that's all they were, Driveways to buildings they were named after, but some of the buildings changed hands and the Driveway names were not updated. So, "Hilton Driveway" takes you to "Hotel Woodbridge" now.

chays

Avalanchez71

jlwm

Houston has Buffalo Speedway (abbreviated Spdwy or Spwy on street signs).

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jay8g on August 01, 2016, 10:47:45 AM
Apparently, there is an actual street in Seattle with the suffix "driveway" (Drwy on the signs).

The municipality of North Chevy Chase, Maryland has a few "driveways," including Kenilworth Driveway.

Not so far away, in the Chevy Chase area of the District of Columbia, is this circle (there are several others in D.C.).

Baltimore City has The Alameda and its own Broadway.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Rothman on July 19, 2016, 10:05:29 AM
Quote from: bzakharin on July 18, 2016, 12:06:58 PM

Meh.  I wouldn't consider the Williamsburg Bridge Brooklyn's Broadway.

Correct.  The continuation of Brooklyn's Broadway is actually Grand Street, not Kenmare/Delancey.  And Grand Street not only intersects Manhattan's Broadway, but makes it most of the way across the island to the Holland Tunnel.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: dgolub on May 02, 2016, 08:48:25 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 03, 2009, 07:23:19 PM
J.K. Rowling included a couple streets with uncommon suffixes (in the U.S., anyway; maybe they're more common in the UK) in her books: A street nearby Privet Drive is called "Wisteria Walk", and Professor Snape lives on a street named "Spinners End".

That exists in the real world in Long Beach, NY.  They have one for each month: January Walk, February Walk, and so on through December Walk.  The catch is that those streets are all pedestrian only, hence the names.

Baltimore City, Maryland  has a Leith Walk which  is open to bikes and motorized traffic as well as pedestrians.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Aerobird

Belatedly...I kept expecting to see this (first) one as I went through the thread, but if it was there, I missed it, therefore-

In Tallahassee, Florida, there's a group of roads in the north part of town that are suffixed "Ride": "North Ride", "Vinnedge Ride", "Ruadh Ride" and "South Ride". While not spectacularly so two of the three are rather hilly, so I suspect the first was named to reflect that and the others followed the pattern.

Further south in town there's the Indianhead neighborhood, which, when it was being built in the late 1940s-early 1950s, had the developers decide to name the streets with names from the Seminole language, working with the state librarian to do so, and therefore now the roads through the area are all suffixed "Nene" - which translates to "trail".

Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 29, 2009, 11:08:20 PM
street names without suffixes

Broadway - very common

The Bowery
'The Bowery' is the area, the street is simply 'Bowery'

XT1254

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.