Regional Boards > Northwest

Alaska

<< < (29/29)

roadwaywiz95:
For this upcoming weekend's Webinar presentation, we'll be taking a look at the highway system of the state of Alaska. We'll be taking some time to discuss our own experiences traveling across the state and highlighting our favorite drives and landmarks. Coverage will begin on Saturday (1/27) at 6 PM ET and will feature live contributions from members of this forum; we hope to see you there!

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=55Qm3fhwNfg

Quillz:
My tour guide on the Dalton Highway told me the numbers are mainly used by tourists, and rarely referenced by locals. He strangely wasn't even aware the Dalton Highway was AK-11 until I pointed it out.

What I was surprised to learn was for so few numbered highways, even Alaska had a renumbering at one point.

oscar:

--- Quote from: Quillz on February 24, 2024, 06:05:08 AM ---He strangely wasn't even aware the Dalton Highway was AK-11 until I pointed it out.

--- End quote ---

Route markers are sparse on that highway. At mile 0 (south end), around mile 60 (Yukon River area), mile 175 (Coldfoot), and mile 305 (Slope Mountain Camp). There is also a sign assembly near the north end (mile 416) that looks like it once had an AK 11 route marker.

With only one highway in that region, there is little danger of travelers getting lost.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version