Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

US 95 Downtown Access Project, Las Vegas

<< < (2/17) > >>

Mark68:

--- Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 25, 2020, 11:53:57 PM ---This is excellent news! I do wish the schedule would be moved up a bit. It would be nice if construction starts in 2025/2026.

--- End quote ---

Seems like this will be complete in time for 95/515 to finally get the I-11 designation.  :bigass:

Plutonic Panda:

--- Quote from: Mark68 on February 26, 2020, 01:42:54 PM ---
--- Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 25, 2020, 11:53:57 PM ---This is excellent news! I do wish the schedule would be moved up a bit. It would be nice if construction starts in 2025/2026.

--- End quote ---

Seems like this will be complete in time for 95/515 to finally get the I-11 designation.  :bigass:

--- End quote ---
This was my thought as well.

vdeane:

--- Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 26, 2020, 02:12:15 PM ---
--- Quote from: Mark68 on February 26, 2020, 01:42:54 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
This was my thought as well.

--- End quote ---
Is US 95 through the city not interstate standards?  I would think the only thing preventing I-11 from being designated through Vegas is that they're still studying the alternatives for I-11 to go through the metro area (officially, all three are still on the table, but the designation of I-11 to I-215 would seem to indicate that the eastern bypass option has been unofficially ruled out).

roadfro:

--- Quote from: vdeane on February 26, 2020, 08:51:28 PM ---Is US 95 through the city not interstate standards?  I would think the only thing preventing I-11 from being designated through Vegas is that they're still studying the alternatives for I-11 to go through the metro area (officially, all three are still on the table, but the designation of I-11 to I-215 would seem to indicate that the eastern bypass option has been unofficially ruled out).

--- End quote ---

US 95 through the city is pretty much interstate standards. Keep in mind that the leg of US 95 east of the Spaghetti Bowl/I-15 (where this Downtown Access Project would take place) has been signed as I-515 since the mid 1990s (and approved as I-515 on paper since the mid-1970s, prior to any of it being constructed). It's this downtown section, built in the 1980s, that is a bit substandard by today's interstate standards by virtue of some closely-spaced interchanges and narrower shoulders.

If NDOT decided on the "US 95" alternative for I-11 today, I don't see any design-based reason they couldn't switch out the I-515 shields for I-11 shields today (not to mention put up I-11 shields all the way to CC 215 in NW Las Vegas).

sparker:

--- Quote from: roadfro on February 27, 2020, 11:14:55 AM ---
--- Quote from: vdeane on February 26, 2020, 08:51:28 PM ---Is US 95 through the city not interstate standards?  I would think the only thing preventing I-11 from being designated through Vegas is that they're still studying the alternatives for I-11 to go through the metro area (officially, all three are still on the table, but the designation of I-11 to I-215 would seem to indicate that the eastern bypass option has been unofficially ruled out).

--- End quote ---

US 95 through the city is pretty much interstate standards. Keep in mind that the leg of US 95 east of the Spaghetti Bowl/I-15 (where this Downtown Access Project would take place) has been signed as I-515 since the mid 1990s (and approved as I-515 on paper since the mid-1970s, prior to any of it being constructed). It's this downtown section, built in the 1980s, that is a bit substandard by today's interstate standards by virtue of some closely-spaced interchanges and narrower shoulders.

If NDOT decided on the "US 95" alternative for I-11 today, I don't see any design-based reason they couldn't switch out the I-515 shields for I-11 shields today (not to mention put up I-11 shields all the way to CC 215 in NW Las Vegas).

--- End quote ---

I'm just wondering if the delay regarding the I-11 route through LV might be a result of Strip interests pressing to have I-11 overlay the 215 loop to bring it closer to the newer Strip-area development (and the Raiders stadium, for that matter).  Personally, I don't think a renumbering would result in significantly increased traffic (once the western loop is fully completed), but those perceiving otherwise may not agree. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version