Regional Boards > Mountain West

Bridge Collapse on I-25 North of Pueblo

(1/4) > >>

zzcarp:
A horrible incident happened Sunday when a coal train derailed over I-25, partially collapsing the railroad bridge and killing a semi-truck driver who was under the bridge at the time of collapse. It's still closed two days later as the NTSB is investigating before the cleanup can begin.

--- Quote ---The BNSF Railway train was passing across an I-25 bridge when the derailment happened about two-and-a-half miles north of the Pueblo city limits. Between six and seven cars got off track and some fell to the northbound lanes of the interstate below, spilling large amounts of coal and destroying the truck. Part of the bridge collapsed.

Many hours after the derailment, crumpled train cars could be seen piled up on top of one another and crews were trying to dig out the large mounds of coal on the roadway. Heavy construction equipment was brought in to help with the effort.

The highway has been closed in both directions ever since the accident. Drivers were getting around the blockage by using Highway 115 and and Highway 50. Commercial vehicles were asked to use Overton Road instead because Highway 115 has lane restrictions for trucks.
--- End quote ---

Marc Sallinger, a local reporter, just posted on Twitter:

--- Quote ---NTSB believes a broken rail caused train to derail, killing a truck driver under the bridge

The broken rail caused the derailment which caused the bridge to collapse, NTSB says

Investigators trying to figure out why warning systems did not alert the crew about the rail
--- End quote ---

Pictures and videos are at the links above.

davewiecking:
When I first read about this on Sunday, the state was saying the bridge was owned by the BNSF, but the railroad denied it was theirs. I hope someone has figured that out by now. Pity bridgehunter.com is such a mess at the moment.

Bobby5280:
As I said in the main Colorado thread: holy shit. It's eerie watching that aerial video of the accident site. That part of I-25 is very familiar; I drive thru that location when traveling from Oklahoma to the Colorado Springs area to visit family. The railroad bridge stands out as well as several very sub-standard "on-ramps" and "off-ramps" that are damned near at-grade hard left and hard right turns.

rickmastfan67:
Videos about this:

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJV-9FT6T0k
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIWH1qwBZUE
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlbMfJ7H1Pk
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy1eSxIfN7c

will_e_777:
if they are initially saying the cause of the accident was a broken rail, why were there not stop and red approach signals coming up on that block, is that dark territory?  or did the train going over the rail cause it to break?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version