News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Jefferson Highway Map

Started by US71, April 22, 2018, 11:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Two Lane Traveler has put together a driveable map of the Jefferson Highway. He has all known routings, alternates and even shows lost/abandoned segments.  You can break it down by state or show the whole thing.  I may be checking some of it out after next weekend's JH Conference.

http://2lanetraveler.com/home/jhmaps/
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

froggie

He's missing some things, namely some "original segments"...though I can understand it may not be clear to an out-of-stater that the current alignment was not the original alignment.

US71

Quote from: froggie on April 22, 2018, 12:27:05 PM
He's missing some things, namely some "original segments"...though I can understand it may not be clear to an out-of-stater that the current alignment was not the original alignment.

Fell free to drop him a line. He's wanting feedback/ corrections/ additions. I found a possible section south of Rich Hill, MO but no one can confirm whether it was part of the road or not.

sparker

It looks as if the Jefferson Highway was essentially intended to traverse, except for the state of Louisiana itself, the eastern portions of the original 1803 Louisiana Purchase, generally considered one of the Jefferson administration's major -- if not overarching -- accomplishments.  Unfortunately, N-S corridors -- particularly in this part of the country -- tend to be largely uncelebrated outside historical preservation circles -- at least in comparison with the E-W arterials (Lincoln Highway, Eisenhower's trek west in the '20s, and the latter-day attention paid to the US 66 corridor). 

US71

Quote from: sparker on April 22, 2018, 04:52:48 PM
It looks as if the Jefferson Highway was essentially intended to traverse, except for the state of Louisiana itself, the eastern portions of the original 1803 Louisiana Purchase, generally considered one of the Jefferson administration's major -- if not overarching -- accomplishments.  Unfortunately, N-S corridors -- particularly in this part of the country -- tend to be largely uncelebrated outside historical preservation circles -- at least in comparison with the E-W arterials (Lincoln Highway, Eisenhower's trek west in the '20s, and the latter-day attention paid to the US 66 corridor). 

I'm looking at driving at least part of the National Road this Summer.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.