News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Will I-110 (TX) go un-signed once again?

Started by mwb1848, August 25, 2016, 12:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwb1848

TxDOT has released renderings of the preferred alternative for the I-10 Connect project which will improve connectivity between I-10, I-110, US 54, and Loop 375 in Central El Paso. While I-110 – which has long been unsigned – has recently showed up on some overhead signage. While these clearly aren't construction documents, the renderings indicate TxDOT may go back to omitting the I-110 designation and simply referencing "Juárez, México" on guide signs.

While I've always wanted to see I-110 get its full due, I'm still incredibly excited about this project. To date, there's been no good way to get from I-10 EB to Loop 375 EB nor can you get from Loop 375 EB to I-10 EB. Also, removing access from Paisano Drive (US 62) and Copia Street (Loop 478) at the Bridge of the Americas seems like a really effective idea. Traffic is now segregated – trucks in dedicated lanes and autos in the other – as they cross into Mexico. The current configuration creates a lot of weaving which slows traffic as it approaches the bridge.

The Ghostbuster

I think the US 54 freeway north of Interstate 10 should have been Interstate 110 to begin with. And why do the exit numbers start at 20 instead of 0?

mwb1848

TxDOT hosted the third and final open house community meeting on the I-10 Connect project. Consultants presented a preferred option which includes a few tweaks when compared to earlier presentations.

While the sign plan isn't finalized, one consultant I spoke to who was familiar with it said it calls for no references to I-110. Instead, they will return to simply signing "Juárez, Mexico." There are fewer than a half dozen I-110 shields along the very short route and all of them are on overhead signs which are located in areas which will be significantly impacted by the work.

Bottom line, it seems I-110's brief flirtation with becoming a signed 3di is about to come to an end. (FWIW, I left written comments asking them to include I-110 shields on all "Juárez, México" overhead signs.)

Interestingly, the consultant mentioned that Loop 375 shields will debut on guide signs alongside US 54 shields on the I-10 main lanes as part of the sign plan which is under development.

While the I-110 shields will be going away, check out the lapel pins which they were giving out:

Bobby5280

I've always wondered why I-110 was not signed North of I-10 along the Patriot Freeway (US-54) up to where the freeway ends at Sean Haggerty Drive. It looks like it is built up to Interstate standards. Did the state of Texas fund that freeway on its own?

DJStephens

Myopia, most likely.  El Paso is not a small place, anymore.  Would suspect it is well on it's way to a million residents, within the city limits.  Include Ciudad Juarez, and the outlying areas, of both cities, and you are at three million, easy. 

El Paso should host three ddi routes. 
a. I-110 Mexican border crossing to Sean Haggerty (and eventually Newman, at NM state line) 
b. I-210 The conversion of the silly loop 375 facility to an eastern bypass of the entire El Paso metropolitain area.  Includes routing through Anthony Gap and reversion of Woodrow Bean to a parkway.  With a Class A truck ban.   Most of the alignment from I-10 to just north of Montana Avenue (US 62/180) is already at near Interstate standards.  The section north of Montana features some hideous alignment shifting near the new Army hospital and is sub standard.  A complete rebuild further out in the desert north of Montana would be the preferred routing.   
c. I-310 Conversion of the "border highway" from I-10, at the eastern stack (Exit 34) in the east to downtown El Paso.   

Bobby5280

El Paso currently has the 20th largest actual city limits population in the US. 681,124 as of the 2015 census estimate. That's more than the city limits populations of Boston and Atlanta. The metro population, including Las Cruces is just over 1 million. It's well over 2 million if you count Ciudad Juárez.

I don't understand the foot-dragging of New Mexico policy makers. They need to work with Texas on building a regional Interstate loop highway by using Anthony Gap. It could benefit New Mexico just as much as it would the El Paso area. I don't even understand why NM-404 dead ends at NM-213 (the White Sands Missile Range highway). It should have cut through/around Chaparral over to US-54 for a better connection to Alamogordo.

DJStephens

Not a whole lot of demand for an east-west corridor through Chaparral.  What should have been done, though, instead of that horrible "mini" rotary in chaparral, was to align the route into chaparral, (Lisa Dr.) to meet Warr Road (NM 213), at a four way stop.   They like to keep their dog legs in NM.   

Bobby5280

I agree that little rotary at the junction of NM-404 and NM-213 on the East side of Chaparral is pretty silly. Considering the growth taking place along I-10 between Las Cruces and El Paso, it would make sense for NM-404 to take a better, more direct route across to US-54. Traffic coming from Alamogordo indeed has to take a number of strange dog-leg turns getting through Chaparral to reach NM-404 and towns like Anthony and Berino. With the present situation it's probably just easier taking US-70 to Las Cruces and then I-10 down to those towns.

Nevertheless, Anthony Gap ought to be utilized for a regional El Paso Interstate loop highway. Loop 375 is a no-go for the steep grades through the Franklin Mountains.

DJStephens

Not a whole lot of traffic on US 54 southbound desires to turn R to reach Anthony.  Although your idea is a good one.   The mentality of the "borderland" seems to be one of fencesitting, delay, and obfuscation.   Or in short, wait until it is not possible, and then lock in the obsolescence.   

mwb1848

Quote from: DJStephens on February 04, 2017, 09:42:33 PM
Not a whole lot of traffic on US 54 southbound desires to turn R to reach Anthony.  Although your idea is a good one.   The mentality of the "borderland" seems to be one of fencesitting, delay, and obfuscation.   Or in short, wait until it is not possible, and then lock in the obsolescence.

I don't know that you can paint the entire region with the same brush. TxDOT, the El Paso MPO, and the Camino Real RMA have been resolutely executing an aggressive portfolio of projects valued at more than a billion dollars in El Paso County alone.

Alex

Looking at the preferred layout (Alternate 9), the off-ramp from IH 110 south to US 62, and return ramp to IH 110 north will be removed to accommodate the wider approach to the port of entry. With IH 110 having no local ramps, it becomes a glorified off-ramp. For those that might want to clinch IH 110 (I did in 2006), this will make it a lot more difficult. Even more so if the U-turn at the customs station is also removed.

Regarding the signing of it, Interstate 381 is signed despite not having an exit, so Interstate 110 could as well.

vdeane

Will they be adding connections to/from US 54 south to make up for the lack of connection from I-110?  I can't check the layout right now as their site is down.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.