News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Impossible to Follow the Highway in One or Both Directions

Started by 7/8, July 11, 2022, 02:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7/8

I couldn't find anything in a thread search, but I'm looking for instances where it's impossible* to follow a given route continuously in either one or both directions.

I found two examples in BC:
* In both my examples you could walk continuously in both directions, but I'm mainly going for motor vehicle traffic

hotdogPi

Isn't there a spot on US 6 in Colorado where the route jumps from an overpass to an underpass with no exit?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

JayhawkCO

Quote from: 1 on July 11, 2022, 02:32:26 PM
Isn't there a spot on US 6 in Colorado where the route jumps from an overpass to an underpass with no exit?

Not that I'm aware of. I've traveled it all I think (it's signed for shit in most of CO), and don't have any recollection of that. If you can find a reference, I'd love to see it.

jlam

Quote from: JayhawkCO on July 11, 2022, 02:35:23 PM
Not that I'm aware of. I've traveled it all I think (it's signed for shit in most of CO), and don't have any recollection of that. If you can find a reference, I'd love to see it.
There was something weird going on in Sterling, but I think it's fixed now that construction is complete.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jlam on July 11, 2022, 02:45:43 PM
There was something weird going on in Sterling, but I think it's fixed now that construction is complete.

That makes sense. I thought it might be something out by Avon or Rifle. The signage out there is terrible.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: jlam on July 11, 2022, 02:45:43 PM
Sterling has always been something of a malfunction junction. Lots of truck traffic that would come east on 14 to get to 76, had to make a hard left, then a few blocks later make a hard right. Throw 6, and the oddly numbered 138 into the mix, and things get weird.

They fixed the 14 problem, by making an S-curve on an abandoned right of way.

https://goo.gl/maps/ARyJbcmPbjRnK2Ez6
This actually shows the old, and the new configuration, with 14 still heading down the old route. Wondering if they are going to extend 14 to 76... then I have to drive to Sterling to re-clinch it.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

TheHighwayMan3561

I think that's US 85/87, not 6, unless I missed something.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JayhawkCO

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 11, 2022, 03:07:56 PM

In Colorado? US87 only exists on paper. US85 jumps off of I-25 a few times before exiting for good in northern Denver, but that goes to I-76 then directly off onto its own.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: JayhawkCO on July 11, 2022, 03:14:45 PM

In Colorado? US87 only exists on paper. US85 jumps off of I-25 a few times before exiting for good in northern Denver, but that goes to I-76 then directly off onto its own.

I think the segment of US 85 in question is the one through Fountain and Security/Widefield just south of Springs. North of Academy Blvd it curves back to I-25 and crosses without an interchange, where US 85 "rejoins".

JayhawkCO

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 11, 2022, 03:23:15 PM
I think the segment of US 85 in question is the one through Fountain and Security/Widefield just south of Springs. North of Academy Blvd it curves back to I-25 and crosses without an interchange, where US 85 "rejoins".

Good call. When I was clinching, I just followed the path that Travel Mapping showed. Time to search for threads over there I guess.

Looks like nothing recent other than the fact they ignore "the dumbness" (my words, not theirs).

ethanhopkin14

Texas State Highway 87, once you get past High Island (Texas State Highway 124) the road has been washed out multiple times by the Gulf of Mexico (mostly hurricanes) to the point the state threw in the towel and there are no immediate plans to repair it.  That section is still on the books as part of SH-87, and there is pavement there, but it is impassible by most practical vehicles.  Also, SH-87 is not listed as one highway with disjointed segments, so the only way to drive the whole route is to take other routes to get between the washout area. 

Not sure if this qualifies for what you are looking for. 

US 89

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 11, 2022, 03:23:15 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on July 11, 2022, 03:14:45 PM

And all of that bit of 85 is also unsigned US 87, as far as I am aware.

I think what 1 was maybe confusing this with on US 6 is in Rifle, where 6 is officially discontinuous. CDOT wanted to dump part of US 6 in Rifle, and Colorado is not a state where there is local maintenance of state-numbered highways, so they asked AASHTO to simply decommission that part of US 6. They did.

Unrelated to that - I believe US 1 southbound in Washington DC makes a left turn from Constitution to 14th that is illegal to make unless you are a bus or taxi.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: US 89 on July 11, 2022, 04:20:36 PM
And all of that bit of 85 is also unsigned US 87, as far as I am aware.

Correct. Northbound, until I-76, everywhere US85 is, US87 is sure to follow.

Quote from: US 89 on July 11, 2022, 04:20:36 PMI think what 1 was maybe confusing this with on US 6 is in Rifle, where 6 is officially discontinuous. CDOT wanted to dump part of US 6 in Rifle, and Colorado is not a state where there is local maintenance of state-numbered highways, so they asked AASHTO to simply decommission that part of US 6. They did.

It's still kind of odd. The only gap is the "concurrency" with CO13, but it's still signed as US6 there, and it's also apparently not technically CO13 there either.

andrepoiy

Quote from: 7/8 on July 11, 2022, 02:26:08 PM
I couldn't find anything in a thread search, but I'm looking for instances where it's impossible* to follow a given route continuously in either one or both directions.

Maybe that's why there's a signed alternate route (that goes up to 41st Ave)?. But yeah, seems like the City instituted the turn restriction and forgetting that 99 is routed that way.[/list]

US 89

Quote from: JayhawkCO on July 11, 2022, 04:57:01 PM
Quote from: US 89 on July 11, 2022, 04:20:36 PMI think what 1 was maybe confusing this with on US 6 is in Rifle, where 6 is officially discontinuous. CDOT wanted to dump part of US 6 in Rifle, and Colorado is not a state where there is local maintenance of state-numbered highways, so they asked AASHTO to simply decommission that part of US 6. They did.

It's still kind of odd. The only gap is the "concurrency" with CO13, but it's still signed as US6 there, and it's also apparently not technically CO13 there either.

To be fair, I would bet every sign on the now-transferred roads in that area is a relic from when they were still CDOT.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: US 89 on July 11, 2022, 05:31:42 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on July 11, 2022, 04:57:01 PM

To be fair, I would bet every sign on the now-transferred roads in that area is a relic from when they were still CDOT.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out the point of having that part of Centennial Parkway be "secular" and creating gaps in two different routes.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: US 89 on July 11, 2022, 04:20:36 PM
Unrelated to that - I believe US 1 southbound in Washington DC makes a left turn from Constitution to 14th that is illegal to make unless you are a bus or taxi.

At the US 61/US 90 junction in New Orleans where US 61 ends, US 90 westbound makes a left turn that is not allowed.

pderocco

Not exactly a "highway", but the southern end of route 185 in Hayward, CA is one way for four blocks, so trying to get on the beginning from 94 involves a six block detour on 238 and A Street. Not that it matters--it isn't signed anyway.

froggie

Along similar lines to the OP, both NC 172 and NJ 68 are "impossible to follow" unless you have a DOD ID.

plain

VA 125 is impossible to follow all the way through because, well, the bridge over the Nansemond River is gone  :colorful:
Newark born, Richmond bred

Mapmikey

Quote from: plain on July 11, 2022, 11:29:39 PM
VA 125 is impossible to follow all the way through because, well, the bridge over the Nansemond River is gone  :colorful:

This also applies to VA 92 near Clover with the Roanoke River Bridge closed permanently.

VA 393 and VA 399 can only be driven in one direction because the entirety of these routes are one-way.

The current Doddridge Co WV map shows WV 18 Spur which is now only a footbridge across middle Island Creek at West Union.

JayhawkCO

The Copper River Highway (AK10) is similar, with the end abandoned because of bridge issues.

7/8

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 11, 2022, 03:43:15 PM
    Texas State Highway 87, once you get past High Island (Texas State Highway 124) the road has been washed out multiple times buy the Gulf of Mexico (mostly hurricanes) to the point the state threw in the towel and there are no immediate plans to repair it.  That section is still on the books as part of SH-87, and there is pavement there, but it is impassible by most practical vehicles.  Also, SH-87 is not listed as one highway with disjointed segments, so the only way to drive the whole route is to take other routes to get between the washout area. 

I wasn't going for disconnected segments, but the fact that they were connected until a wash out makes it an interesting scenario. Thanks for sharing!

Quote from: pderocco on July 11, 2022, 08:25:14 PM
    Not exactly a "highway", but the southern end of route 185 in Hayward, CA is one way for four blocks, so trying to get on the beginning from 94 involves a six block detour on 238 and A Street. Not that it matters--it isn't signed anyway.

When I say highway, I mean any numbered route (maybe that's a regional thing. All the Ontario provincial routes are "highways"). Even numbered (and lettered :sombrero:) county routes are fine by me.

Quote from: andrepoiy on July 11, 2022, 05:10:32 PM
    Quote from: 7/8 on July 11, 2022, 02:26:08 PM

Maybe that's why there's a signed alternate route (that goes up to 41st Ave)?. But yeah, seems like the City instituted the turn restriction and forgetting that 99 is routed that way.[/list]

I wonder why BC 99 wouldn't just be routed along 41st Ave instead of 70th. Or they could have each direction of BC 99 going on different streets, though it'd be unconventional for a pair of two-way streets to each carry one direction of a highway (a possible subtopic, are there any examples of this?).

Bitmapped

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 12, 2022, 06:34:43 AM
    The current Doddridge Co WV map shows WV 18 Spur which is now only a footbridge across middle Island Creek at West Union.

WV generally uses spur routes for bridges located along WV and US routes. They're never signed and are basically just used internally for inventory. Historic Doddridge County maps show US 50 or WV 18 always on the current alignment of WV 18 through here. I'm not sure WV 18 Spur was ever actually drivable by car across Middle Island Creek here. My guess is that the state took over the bridge and they just gave it this spur number as opposed to making it a county route.

US 89

Quote from: 7/8 on July 12, 2022, 09:51:07 AM
    Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 11, 2022, 03:43:15 PM
    Texas State Highway 87, once you get past High Island (Texas State Highway 124) the road has been washed out multiple times buy the Gulf of Mexico (mostly hurricanes) to the point the state threw in the towel and there are no immediate plans to repair it.  That section is still on the books as part of SH-87, and there is pavement there, but it is impassible by most practical vehicles.  Also, SH-87 is not listed as one highway with disjointed segments, so the only way to drive the whole route is to take other routes to get between the washout area. 

I wasn't going for disconnected segments, but the fact that they were connected until a wash out makes it an interesting scenario. Thanks for sharing!

This kind of thing also occurs on US 87 in Wyoming, where it is more or less permanently washed out between Kearny and Banner. Despite what Google tells you, the road connecting those places through Story is not US 87 but rather WYO 193.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.