Exit Gore without the 270 Degree Arrow on Loop (Cloverleaf Type) Ramps

Started by ethanhopkin14, July 11, 2022, 05:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

I was looking at the northbound I-55 ramp to westbound I-12 cloverleaf ramp today and noticed the gore and the advance sign do not have the 270 degree arrow notifying you that are are about to exit the freeway on a cloverleaf type ramp.  There is an exit speed limit advisory sign warning you that its a cloverleaf ramp, but I find it helpful when these types of arrows are repeated through all aspects of the exit signage.  It really hits home that there is a loop ramp coming.  How many other instances can you think of that the 270 degree arrow isn't present on the gore or advanced BGS?

odditude

there are countless examples in NJ - there are cloverleafs everywhere, and none of those signs.

CardInLex

It would be more difficult to find a 270 arrow in Kentucky than without. I can't think of but a handful in KY with the 270 arrow.

wriddle082

I've really only seen the 270 or U-turn arrow used widespread in TN and GA.  I really wish NC and SC did this.

I just checked the MUTCD and I did not see any examples of that type of arrow.  I think it would make a fine addition.

ethanhopkin14

Some states are religious about it.  I guess I never noticed that others are not.  Being from Texas, a state that went Order 66 on all cloverleafs and parclos (I know there are still a few left), I guess I kinda forget how cloverleafs are normally handled, but even in Texas, they are still handled like this

plain

Quote from: wriddle082 on July 11, 2022, 08:30:39 PM
I've really only seen the 270 or U-turn arrow used widespread in TN and GA.  I really wish NC and SC did this.

I just checked the MUTCD and I did not see any examples of that type of arrow.  I think it would make a fine addition.

There's at least this thing on US 52/I-285 SB at I-40

https://maps.app.goo.gl/P3K35AEXHApDTT4eA
Newark born, Richmond bred

1995hoo

Interestingly, the one sign of that sort of which I am aware off the top of my head in Virginia isn't at a cloverleaf. The ramp is a loop, but it's overall closer to a trumpet design than a cloverleaf. Nearby cloverleafs don't have those and instead typically have this.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

skluth

I've lived in Wisconsin, Missouri, Virginia, and California. I think California is the only state I've lived where I've seen the 270° loop sign. I've only seen reduce speed signs before cloverleaf ramps in the other states, often about 25 mph. I see 1995hoo has an example of a sign in Virginia with a loop but I think that's rare in Virginia. There may also be signs with loops in Wisconsin and Missouri, but again that's probably rare.

plain

I just think Virginia don't have many of those or similar signs simply because of the sheer amount of cloverleafs and loop ramps we have. That would require a lot of signs..

The closest thing I've seen are the ones like 1995hoo posted in his first example and even those aren't widespread by any means.
Newark born, Richmond bred

TheHighwayMan3561

The only signs with loops in Minnesota I've seen are at major truck traffic shift points, like southbound I-694 to eastbound I-94 in Oakdale.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

I can only think of one example in all of Oklahoma that uses a loopy arrow for a loop ramp (I-40 at US-75/OK-375 in Henryetta). Everywhere else, typical Type A or incorrect Type D arrows are used.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.