News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, June 18, 2012, 11:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: M86 on January 14, 2014, 12:49:00 AM
Quote from: AHTD on January 09, 2014, 12:29:39 AM
At this time, AHTD will not be launching a Facebook page and yes, the Twitter account does cover the entire state. The reason you don't see many tweets about incidents (accidents) in NWA is because we do not receive the information from Arkansas State Police.

Why?  Hire me!  I'll do a Facebook page for AHTD!  Good grief.

The Twitter does not cover the entire state... Rename the Twitter to @AHTDLittleRock, or @AHTDCentralAR

So, how do you receive info about incidents and accidents there?

But if they hire me, I can document and report all the missing exit signs and sign errors. As well as provide cool photos for the highway maps ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Tomahawkin

Oh Cool, we have more U of A Alum on here. I lived in Fayetteville for 6 years until 2009, been back in Atlanta for 5 years now. In your opinion, Whats the biggest pressing issue for IH-540/IH-49 in NWA???...This is probably OT so I could ask the same in the 540 thread...

US71

Quote from: Tomahawkin on January 14, 2014, 08:05:29 PM
Oh Cool, we have more U of A Alum on here. I lived in Fayetteville for 6 years until 2009, been back in Atlanta for 5 years now. In your opinion, Whats the biggest pressing issue for IH-540/IH-49 in NWA???...This is probably OT so I could ask the same in the 540 thread...

I've been in Ft Smith since 2006, after 20+ in Fayettenam ;)

Hard to narrow 540/49 down to just one issue.

Tomahawkin

I know, there are many! Just as bad as Atlanta but on a smaller scale population/land area-wise

bjrush

Hey AHTD,

Does the Department plan to start using design-build contracts? It could accelerate some projects significantly...may even be beneficial for I-49 work
Woo Pig Sooie

M86

Quote from: bjrush on January 29, 2014, 03:05:23 PM
Hey AHTD,

Does the Department plan to start using design-build contracts? It could accelerate some projects significantly...may even be beneficial for I-49 work

Please do.

Is this foreign to AHTD?

AHTD

Hey AHTD,

See our design-build policy here: http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/DB_Policy.pdf

At this time we are planning to use this project delivery method for improving the Interstate 30 Arkansas River crossing in Little Rock.

During the last October Commission meeting, a minute order was approved to hire a consultant to perform the environmental work necessary for this project: http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/Minute_Order_2013-114.pdf
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

Alps

Quote from: M86 on January 30, 2014, 01:15:28 AM
Hey AHTD,

Please do.

Is this foreign to AHTD?
To supplement AHTD's response - DB is not the typical operation mode of most agencies. Very few projects actually go DB. Whether that's because it's still relatively new, and DOTs are slow to change as a whole (institutional knowledge mentality), or whether it has something to do with the quality of the final product being more controllable through DBB (design-bid-build), or whether it has something to do with allowing two contractors to get the work instead of one... each DOT has its own reasons.

bjrush

DBB is often the most expensive and slowest method possible. The only benefit it has is it is 100% fair

DB allows for faster and sometimes cheaper contracts, usually of higher quality. The main problem with DB is that the project scope often begins very loose. However, AHTD is far from the average clueless owner. They know what they want. I think DB could really provide an innovative solution to some of Arkansas's upcoming projects
Woo Pig Sooie

M86

Thanks for the responses.  I spewed my mouth (aka hands on keyboard) before reviewing all the facts.

I definitely think DB would work with some AR projects.

codyg1985

Quote from: bjrush on January 30, 2014, 10:13:28 PM
DBB is often the most expensive and slowest method possible. The only benefit it has is it is 100% fair

It is based solely on price (low-bidder). Design-build takes other things into consideration, such as past performance and the quality of the proposal. It is a lot of work on the front-end for the owner/agency that prepares the request for proposal (RFP) that goes out to the contracting community because you have to provide enough detail in the RFP to ensure that the owner gets what they want, but without designing it. Think performance-based specifications instead of prescriptive-based specifications (i.e. I want my concrete to not fail from heavy application of roadway anti-icing chemicals vs. I want a compressive strength of 4000 psi).
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

bjrush

AHTD,

What is the plan for the US 412 bypass? I see the first phase between Hwy 112 and I-540/US 62/US 71 is projected to be complete late 2018 on the Connecting Arkansas Program website. How will this route be signed, will there be full access to I-540/US 62/US 71, and what is the next phase?

I guess east to US 71B?
Woo Pig Sooie

AHTD

The initial segment of the Springdale northern bypass is currently scheduled to be let sometime this fall. It will be a four-lane divided, fully-controlled access facility from I-540 to State Highway 112. Actually, it will extend just past State Highway 112 and terminate at the point where a new connector to XNA is planned, but public access will terminate at State Highway 112 until said connector is constructed. The connector is not an AHTD project.

Additional funding for other parts of the bypass have not been identified and at this time no other phase is in the works.

bjrush

Thanks!

Any speculation on the route number, since it will be many years before a US 412 designation happens along a completed bypass facility?
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on February 03, 2014, 03:10:51 PM
Thanks!

Any speculation on the route number, since it will be many years before a US 412 designation happens along a completed bypass facility?

I'm going to take a wild guess and say SPUR 412. I-530 at Pine Bluff was "Spur US 65" until completed.  There was also, for a brief time, an unmarked AR 471 Spur at Fayetteville.

(oh dear! Am I dating myself?)

Scott5114

Quote from: AHTD on January 09, 2014, 12:29:39 AM
Yes, www.arkansashighways.com will be redone. We are working to complete the www.idrivearkansas.com site first and will follow-up with native apps for Apple, Android and Windows. Improvements to www.arkansashighways.com will allow the public to follow the genesis of a project from planning to completion.

Understand we have a way to go before this happens, but we do realize the existing site needs an update and will work toward that goal. In the meantime, we are happy to be a part of this forum and welcome questions and comments about the Arkansas highway system. We will also routinely provide information as it becomes available.

Recognizing that this is probably still a ways off, here are some ideas of some stuff on other state DOT sites that I've found helpful. Maybe you could pass it on to the website guys.

First of all, it's becoming more and more common for state DOTs to provide a full archive of every official state map that has been produced. (Oklahoma and Missouri both do this, for instance.) Such an archive exists for Arkansas, but it would be nice to have it more easily accessible on the AHTD website, instead of on a FTP server somewhere.

The big thing that would be helpful is a summary of actions affecting each highway designation (i.e. realigning it, shortening it, extending it, renumbering it...). In Texas and Oklahoma, these are Transportation Commission actions, and are available online. Here's an example of Oklahoma's pages like this. For some highways (mainly US highways) they have scans up of the actual commission actions, too, with supporting documents like AASHTO requests and maps.

Both of these are extremely helpful for researching the history of highways.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NE2

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 07, 2014, 05:10:01 AM
First of all, it's becoming more and more common for state DOTs to provide a full archive of every official state map that has been produced. (Oklahoma and Missouri both do this, for instance.) Such an archive exists for Arkansas, but it would be nice to have it more easily accessible on the AHTD website, instead of on a FTP server somewhere.
...? http://www.arkansashighways.com/planning_research/mapping_graphics/archived_tourist_maps/archived_tourist_maps.aspx
A link to the other site would have course be useful, as it has county maps (and perhaps a few state maps that aren't on the AHTD site?).

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 07, 2014, 05:10:01 AM
The big thing that would be helpful is a summary of actions affecting each highway designation (i.e. realigning it, shortening it, extending it, renumbering it...).
If you care enough, you can go through the minute orders yourself.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

I want to see pre-1953 minute orders on the site.  Do they exist?  Have they been digitized?

bjrush

Won't I-30 rebuild in LR be the biggest project AHTD has ever let to date?

I'm not sure its prudent to try out a new delivery method on an already-sure-to-be-extremely challenging project.
Woo Pig Sooie

AHTD

The I-30 corridor from U.S. 67/167 (on I-40) to the South Terminal interchange is ballparked at about 300+ million. Not only does the project propose to widen the river crossing to 8, maybe 10 lanes, it will also include a new flyover from southbound U. S. 67/167 to I-40.

This new construction will deposit that southbound traffic on the inside lanes of I-40 and allow through traffic on I -40 to proceed without a weave.

The EIS will be let separately- and very soon! The consultant awarded this contract will not be eligible to pursue the design-build contract. Funding for this project will come from the half-cent sales tax program and it is the last on the list for now.

Road Hog

Quote from: AHTD on February 24, 2014, 11:14:27 PM
The I-30 corridor from U.S. 67/167 (on I-40) to the South Terminal interchange is ballparked at about 300+ million. Not only does the project propose to widen the river crossing to 8, maybe 10 lanes, it will also include a new flyover from southbound U. S. 67/167 to I-40.

This new construction will deposit that southbound traffic on the inside lanes of I-40 and allow through traffic on I -40 to proceed without a weave.

That flyover is badly needed. Are HOV lanes in the mix as well?

AHTD

We do not have any HOV lanes planned at this time.

Tomahawkin

That Figures! OTOH IH-40 Should be tolled for the fact of how much (East-West) cross-country traffic uses that route. Especially since the State of Arkansas Badly needs the money for interstate improvements especially in NW Arkansas, Among other areas...but that wont happen til 2075...

AHTD

Quote from: Tomahawkin on March 02, 2014, 01:52:33 PM
That Figures! OTOH IH-40 Should be tolled for the fact of how much (East-West) cross-country traffic uses that route. Especially since the State of Arkansas Badly needs the money for interstate improvements especially in NW Arkansas, Among other areas...but that wont happen til 2075...

Funny you should mention that, the consultant performing a toll study on I-40 presented its findings last week. Wasn't in the meeting but will pass along info once its available.

M86

AHTD, on your CAP website, Job CA0902 doesn't seem right... And the maps do not match up.

Is Job CA0902 from Exit 85 (Walton/Walnut) to Exit 88 (Central Ave)?  If so, the CAP website has some details wrong.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.