News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Basketball

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, December 07, 2013, 05:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

While I'm so happy that Seattle is getting a new NHL franchise, I'm still holding out hope that the Sonics will return in one form or another. Unfortunately, it'll most likely be an expansion team, and one more team will have to be added to balance out the league. FWIW, I prefer even-numbered leagues over odd-numbered ones, and this is coming from a longtime Bulls fan who saw his team win all six championships in a time when the league had 27/29 teams!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bing101

How many people actually watch the Fiba games

Here is one but its in a nearly empty stadium though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4keeEtz54HM

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Henry on February 06, 2020, 09:47:22 AM
Of course, being a UCLA alum, my favorite memory from that decade is when the Bruins won the national championship (and this year is the 25th anniversary of that event).

Still convinced that if Tyus Edney doesn't hit that shot against Mizzou, UConn would've  run away with the national championship, and completed the whole mens/womens co-national championship thing 9 years before they did.  Instead, we got beat in a track meet in Oakland.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

bing101

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2020/03/06/ncaa-hoops-game-in-baltimore-held-in-empty-gym-for-covid-19/111400308/

Now the COVID-19 affects NCAA games now that a game will be played in an empty stadium.

HTM Duke

And it will now be a very different March Madness this year.
ESPN: NCAA tournament will be played without fans

EDIT: A preview of the above will now occur with several major conference basketball tournaments going fanless as well.
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/28886504/major-conference-tournaments-proceed-fans
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

Big John

US 89

In case you're curious what Rudy Gobert (the Jazz player who tested positive) has been up to in the past few days...

https://twitter.com/Davefox2/status/1237906382193438720

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

bing101

1995hoo

Duke has cancelled all spring sports going forward, which means they would not participate in the NCAA Tournament. However, Duke's athletic director also participates on the NCAA committee that runs the tournament. Got to think he already knows what's coming. If there's any school that won't suspend basketball if it's possible to play, Duke is high on that list.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 12, 2020, 02:51:09 PM
Duke has cancelled all spring sports going forward, which means they would not participate in the NCAA Tournament. However, Duke's athletic director also participates on the NCAA committee that runs the tournament. Got to think he already knows what's coming. If there's any school that won't suspend basketball if it's possible to play, Duke is high on that list.

Kansas did pretty much the same thing, but didn't rule out playing in the NCAA tournament.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Doesn't matter now. NCAA Tournament cancelled.

I hope Capital One posts their ads online. Their March Madness ads are funny.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

bing101

bing101

triplemultiplex

Ordered pizza last weekend and the box sadly proclaimed Pizza Hut's marquee sponsorship of the tourney still.

I can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure the Milwaukee Bucks have been screwed out of a championship by this goddamn virus.
I suppose it's still in the cards next season, but if you'll forgive the pun, it was at least a lay-up this year, if not a slam dunk.

Quote from: hbelkins on February 27, 2020, 11:10:10 AM
College basketball officiating is terrible. Prove me wrong.

I have a relatively recent championship game I am thinking of that indelibly supports this thesis.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hbelkins

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 20, 2020, 09:06:04 PM

I have a relatively recent championship game I am thinking of that indelibly supports this thesis.

Did the losing team in that championship game knock an unbeaten team out in the semis?

It's a given that any time you go up against Duke, you're playing against eight.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

tchafe1978

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 20, 2020, 09:06:04 PM
Ordered pizza last weekend and the box sadly proclaimed Pizza Hut's marquee sponsorship of the tourney still.

I can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure the Milwaukee Bucks have been screwed out of a championship by this goddamn virus.
I suppose it's still in the cards next season, but if you'll forgive the pun, it was at least a lay-up this year, if not a slam dunk.

I think that's what I'm most disappointed by sports wise with the whole COVID-19 situation, is the Bucks potentially missing out on a championship. Who knows if they'll be this good again next year if this season never resumes? That and not being able to see what  teams like the Badgers might have been able to do in the tournament. Who knows, maybe they could've exacted revenge for that loss to Duke 5 years ago! :D

Henry

I have a bad feeling that the NBA will have no choice but to cancel the season altogether, and start from scratch next fall. As much as I would've loved to see LeBron James win a championship with the Lakers in the year they mourned the death of Kobe Bryant, that will have to wait at least another year (but he will definitely get there because it's L.A.).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ftballfan

Quote from: Henry on April 13, 2020, 09:45:46 AM
I have a bad feeling that the NBA will have no choice but to cancel the season altogether, and start from scratch next fall. As much as I would've loved to see LeBron James win a championship with the Lakers in the year they mourned the death of Kobe Bryant, that will have to wait at least another year (but he will definitely get there because it's L.A.).

There's been rumors about the NBA starting next season later than normal, with the first games being on Christmas Day (there is precedent for this; the lockout-shortened 2011-12 season started on Christmas Day and played a 66-game schedule, which also led into an Olympic year)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ftballfan on April 13, 2020, 10:48:30 AM
Quote from: Henry on April 13, 2020, 09:45:46 AM

There's been rumors about the NBA starting next season later than normal, with the first games being on Christmas Day (there is precedent for this; the lockout-shortened 2011-12 season started on Christmas Day and played a 66-game schedule, which also led into an Olympic year)
I heard that they are willing to play playoff games through the summer.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Big John

thspfc

I don't feel the slightest bit of sympathy for Duke. They cower out of their nonconference games because they can't handle a rough start to the season, then their lying about the opt-out being Covid-related bites them in the back when Covid actually ends their season. I don't by any means like to see people get sick, but as far as basketball goes, good riddance from the tournament for the NCAA.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.