News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Do universities still let students live off campus?

Started by bandit957, January 30, 2023, 09:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 06, 2023, 08:17:42 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 06, 2023, 06:54:11 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on February 06, 2023, 05:15:09 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 06, 2023, 05:10:47 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 06, 2023, 05:03:55 PM
Quote from: 1 on February 06, 2023, 05:01:12 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 06, 2023, 04:57:53 PM
At UMass, students are required to live on campus freshman year only. Most stay on campus sophomore year, and many move off Junior year.

I'm surprised the different UMass campuses have different policies. (UMass Lowell has no such requirement.)
UMass Amherst does have an exception if you live within 40 miles to the campus already (aka a student who lives in Amherst). The other branch UMass campuses probably all have the same rules as Lowell.
The West is the Best. ZoooooooMass!

Except at sports.
*facepalm*

The "West" are the Southwest dorms, notoriously poorly maintained and trashed by the dregs of society that attend UMass Amherst.  Fire extinguisher fights, elevator surfing and general debauchery reign therein.
I live in one of towers in Southwest (if you really want to know what tower I live in, message me I don't want to give away too much personal information public on the internet).
You poor soul.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on February 06, 2023, 09:17:04 PM
At UMass, students are required to live on campus freshman year only. Most stay on campus sophomore year, and many move off Junior year.

I'm surprised the different UMass campuses have different policies. (UMass Lowell has no such requirement.)
UMass Amherst does have an exception if you live within 40 miles to the campus already (aka a student who lives in Amherst). The other branch UMass campuses probably all have the same rules as Lowell.

Except at sports.
*facepalm*

The "West" are the Southwest dorms, notoriously poorly maintained and trashed by the dregs of society that attend UMass Amherst.  Fire extinguisher fights, elevator surfing and general debauchery reign therein.
I live in one of towers in Southwest (if you really want to know what tower I live in, message me I don't want to give away too much personal information public on the internet).
You poor soul.
It's honestly fine. I heard that UMass has calmed down a bit lately. It's still fun though.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 06, 2023, 11:44:00 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 06, 2023, 09:17:04 PM

Except at sports.
*facepalm*

You poor soul.
It's honestly fine. I heard that UMass has calmed down a bit lately. It's still fun though.
Nope.  Not that UMass is or ever was the biggest party school (not by a long shot), but drunk stupidity still abounds...as well as a hand foot mouth disease bonus this year.

https://www.gazettenet.com/College-students-celebrate-St-Patrick-s-Day-in-Amherst-45396326
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ted$8roadFan

As a UMass student in the 90s, all freshmen, er "First Year Students"  were required to live on campus unless you lived within 40 miles of campus as others have mentioned (I did not). Almost all sophomores lived on campus as well, with many making a beeline to Puffton Village at the end of their second year. I think if you had a certain number of credits, you could live off campus regardless of your class.

CoreySamson

Quote from: Rothman on February 07, 2023, 07:12:36 AM
Nope.  Not that UMass is or ever was the biggest party school (not by a long shot), but drunk stupidity still abounds...as well as a hand foot mouth disease bonus this year.

https://www.gazettenet.com/College-students-celebrate-St-Patrick-s-Day-in-Amherst-45396326
Makes me glad to be at a school that has almost no parties (I say almost because I heard the basketball team and baseball team sometimes have them on their floors, or so I'm told). We still have tons of fun, but it's cool not having to deal with crap like that.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

andrepoiy

Well, if you want to hear some party school stories...

The first homecoming street party at my school after COVID had around 8000 attendees

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/8-000-people-pack-the-university-district-in-kingston-ont-to-celebrate-homecoming-weekend-at-queen-s-university-1.5625959

They had cops in riot gear.

After this event, the City would import cops from all over the province for subsequent street parties. The farthest cops I've seen hailed from Peel Region (where Mississauga, Ontario is)

Image is a random one from Google Images

Aftermath:

7/8

^ Ezra St in Waterloo, ON is popular for the St. Patrick's Day party. It's right near Laurier, but also not too far from UWaterloo so students from both schools go. This article says the crowd reached 33 000 in 2019, but it seems COVID and increasing police presence have dampened the crowds since. I remember going once or twice to check it out, but not sure which years (would've been between 2014 and 2018).

As for the thread question, neither my school (Waterloo) nor my brothers' schools (Guelph and Conestoga) required first-years (or any students) to reside on campus. I'm personally happy about that because I saved thousands of dollars by living at home (and frankly it was a big reason I chose to apply to Waterloo) and I still made friends pretty quickly. It helped that my program had the same students attend all the same classes for first year, so you'd spend the whole day with the same classmates (not to mention all the after-class homework we worked on together in the computer labs). Aah, the hard-working days of engineering school. :colorful:

andrepoiy

Pretty interesting how after street parties got mentioned, this thread went dead silent for almost a week now. Was there something wrong with discussing street parties?

Dirt Roads

Quote from: andrepoiy on February 16, 2023, 09:33:14 AM
Pretty interesting how after street parties got mentioned, this thread went dead silent for almost a week now. Was there something wrong with discussing street parties?

Perhaps because it is now illegal to burn a sofa couch on Willey Street (US-119) in Morgantown, West Virginia (or anywhere else in the Mountain State, for that matter).  Of course, that law might be ignored if WVU ever wins against a #1 ranked team.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: andrepoiy on February 16, 2023, 09:33:14 AM
People probably just got tired of posting and discussing this thread
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.