News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New major league sports teams

Started by Poiponen13, February 17, 2023, 10:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

I wish more sports video games had a feature to add expansion teams to your league. NBA 2k and EA Sports' NHL series do have that, and I think Madden did once upon a time, but AFAIK, MLB The Show does not. It would be great if someone called San Diego Studio and asked them to put that into the game, but it probably will be limited to the next-gen consoles (i.e. PS5 and Xbox Series X). At the very least, though, The Show already has Stadium Creator, so that's a start.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Henry on February 17, 2023, 07:37:21 PM
I wish more sports video games had a feature to add expansion teams to your league. NBA 2k and EA Sports' NHL series do have that, and I think Madden did once upon a time, but AFAIK, MLB The Show does not. It would be great if someone called San Diego Studio and asked them to put that into the game, but it probably will be limited to the next-gen consoles (i.e. PS5 and Xbox Series X). At the very least, though, The Show already has Stadium Creator, so that's a start.
madden franchise is so trash compared to other similar games. It's why I haven't owned a madden in a few years.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

DTComposer

I love the idea of promotion/relegation in theory. As mentioned above, it would take massive subsidies for the "new" teams as well as massive investment in stadium upgrades. But assuming each new team could get their capacity to 30,000 or so, I took a swipe at a setup:

- The current MLB teams are put into eight four-team divisions. There's a significant amount of movement between AL and NL to make the geography work.
- Three expansion teams are added to the top tier: Portland, Charlotte, and Montreal. Oakland moves to San Jose and is relegated.
- The second tier is made up of three additional teams in each of the eight divisions. With smaller budgets for travel and to drive local interest, they do the majority of their games geographically (i.e., the six West teams play each other the most) as opposed to intra-league.
- Each of the eight-team divisions has one team move up, one team move down per season.

NL WEST
Portland
San Francisco
Los Angeles
San Diego
---
Sacramento
Vancouver
Albuquerque

AL WEST
Seattle
Colorado
Los Angeles
Arizona
--
San Jose
Las Vegas
Salt Lake City

NL CENTRAL
Chicago
Cincinnati
Milwaukee
Toronto
--
Nashville
Louisville
Omaha

AL CENTRAL
Chicago
Cleveland
Minnesota
Detroit
--
Indianapolis
Oklahoma City
Memphis

NL SOUTH
Atlanta
Miami
St Louis
Houston
--
Jacksonville
Ft. Worth
New Orleans

AL SOUTH
Charlotte
Tampa Bay
Kansas City
Texas
--
San Antonio
Austin
Orlando

NL EAST
New York
Philadelphia
Washington
Pittsburgh
--
Norfolk
Providence
Columbus

AL EAST
New York
Boston
Baltimore
Montreal
--
Buffalo
Durham
New Jersey

Some of these markets aren't *quite* large enough, but they're all pretty close to 1 million+, especially when taking the whole media market into account.

Poiponen13

Quote from: DTComposer on February 17, 2023, 11:21:26 PM
I love the idea of promotion/relegation in theory. As mentioned above, it would take massive subsidies for the "new" teams as well as massive investment in stadium upgrades. But assuming each new team could get their capacity to 30,000 or so, I took a swipe at a setup:

- The current MLB teams are put into eight four-team divisions. There's a significant amount of movement between AL and NL to make the geography work.
- Three expansion teams are added to the top tier: Portland, Charlotte, and Montreal. Oakland moves to San Jose and is relegated.
- The second tier is made up of three additional teams in each of the eight divisions. With smaller budgets for travel and to drive local interest, they do the majority of their games geographically (i.e., the six West teams play each other the most) as opposed to intra-league.
- Each of the eight-team divisions has one team move up, one team move down per season.

NL WEST
Portland
San Francisco
Los Angeles
San Diego
---
Sacramento
Vancouver
Albuquerque

AL WEST
Seattle
Colorado
Los Angeles
Arizona
--
San Jose
Las Vegas
Salt Lake City

NL CENTRAL
Chicago
Cincinnati
Milwaukee
Toronto
--
Nashville
Louisville
Omaha

AL CENTRAL
Chicago
Cleveland
Minnesota
Detroit
--
Indianapolis
Oklahoma City
Memphis

NL SOUTH
Atlanta
Miami
St Louis
Houston
--
Jacksonville
Ft. Worth
New Orleans

AL SOUTH
Charlotte
Tampa Bay
Kansas City
Texas
--
San Antonio
Austin
Orlando

NL EAST
New York
Philadelphia
Washington
Pittsburgh
--
Norfolk
Providence
Columbus

AL EAST
New York
Boston
Baltimore
Montreal
--
Buffalo
Durham
New Jersey

Some of these markets aren't *quite* large enough, but they're all pretty close to 1 million+, especially when taking the whole media market into account.
Good!

TheHighwayMan3561

As I said in the other thread, no major sports team owner is going to agree to risk having their team shunted to some secondary league. And I can't exactly blame them.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 17, 2023, 07:43:51 PM
madden franchise is so trash compared to other similar games. It's why I haven't owned a madden in a few years.

If you have a Madden you're not using, I hear Poiponen likes them.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 18, 2023, 07:15:39 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 17, 2023, 07:43:51 PM

If you have a Madden you're not using, I hear Poiponen likes them.
All my maddens are digital downloads.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Poiponen might become maddened when he realizes that he realizes that the person he has a crush on only exists in the digital world.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

mgk920

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 18, 2023, 06:35:51 PM
As I said in the other thread, no major sports team owner is going to agree to risk having their team shunted to some secondary league. And I can't exactly blame them.

I'll also be happy to let the fans' marketplace have the honor of destroying them when they get very bad.

dvferyance

NBA-Kansas City and Seattle I doubt Las Vegas is viable because they have the NHL.
NFL- St Louis and San Antonio
NHL- Not sure Houston maybe? I doubt Atlanta would get a 3rd try but who knows. Now that Seattle has a team there are no major markets in the northern US without a team. Perhaps another one in Canada but I would have no idea where.
MLB- Charlotte and Portland

hotdogPi

1. FC
Ada Lovelace
Alice (TX) Wonderlands
Allen (TX) Shepherds
Amarillo Armadillos
Anderson (IN) Coopers
Anytown Team
Appleton Apples
Arlington (VA) Cemetery
Atlantic City Boardwalks
Austin Powers
Avon (OH) Cosmetics
Bakersfield Bakers
Bangor Bangers
Baraboo (WI) Bugaboo
Beaver (PA) Nuggets
Berlin (NH) Walls
Bermuda Triangles
Bethesda (MD) Softworks
Beverly (MA) Hills
Billings Documents
Bloomington (IN) Onions
Boulder Dash
Bowling Green Massacres
Bristol (CT) Bristles
Broken Arrow (OK) Repairs
Buffalo Wings
Burlington (VT) Coat Factory
Calgary Calvary
California Cations
Caribou (ME) Caribou
Carmel Caramel
Casper Mattresses
Champaign Champagne
Chandler (AZ) Chandeliers
Chattanooga Choo Choo
Chihuahua Chihuahuas
Colorado Springs
Concord (NH) Discord
Corona (CA) Extras
Dalton (GA) Highways
Denver Omelettes
Elkhart (IN) Elk-Harts
Elsa (TX) Princesses
Enterprise (AL) Rentals
Euclid (OH) Mathematicians
Falmouth (ME) Foul Mouths
Fargo Movies
Flint Waters
Florence (SC) Price
Frankfort Hot Dogs
Galveston Gavels
Gillette (WY) Razors
Halifax Explosions
Hammond (IN) Hammocks
Hays (KS) For Horses
Hickory (NC) Dickory Dock
Hoover (AL) Vacuums
Idaho Potatoes
Iowa Music Men
Irving (TX) Gasoline
Jamaican Me Crazy
Joliet Jakes
Kalamazoo Kazoos
Kamloops (BC) Loops
Kansas City Shuffles
Lawrence (KS) Welk
Lawton Lawlessness
LĂ©vis (QC) Levi's
Lincoln Logs
London (ON) Eyes
Londonderry (NH) Air
Macon Bacon
Maine Coons
Malone (NY) Posts
McPherson (KS) Pheople
Manhattan (KS) Skyscrapers
Marshall (MO) Islands
Memphis Dry Rubs
Meridian (MS) Longitudes
Mobile Phones
Modesto Modesty
Monroe (LA) Doctrines
Monterrey Jack
Muncie (IN) Munchies
Muskegon (MI) Elons
Nogales Gales
Newfoundland Labradors
Newport (RI) News
Nome Gnomes
Normal (IL) People
Ogden Nash
Olympia Sports
Oshkosh B'Gosh
Pahrump (NV) Rump
Peabody (MA) Shermans
Pierre Trudeaus
Plano (TX) Planes
Pontiac Firebirds
Provo Lone
Reading Railroads
Red Deer Evan Hansen
Reno Keno
Roanoke (VA) Rapids
Salisbury (MD) Steaks
San Jose Hoses
Scarborough (ME) Fairs
St. George Clooney
Superior (WI) Team
Surprise (AZ) Surprise
Sydney (NS) Opera Houses
Tampa Tampons
Temple (TX) Of Doom
Tucson Tuscans
Victoria (BC) Secrets
Virginia Hams
Waco Wackos
Walla Walla Wallas
Warner Robins (GA) Robins
Warren (OH) Buffetts
Wichita (KS) Falls
Worcester Sauce
Yonkers Bonkers
Yukon Cornelius
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

mgk920

And their championship game is the Tidy Bowl?

:hmmm:

Mike

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

vegas1962

Quote from: dvferyance on March 16, 2023, 09:11:57 PM
NBA-Kansas City and Seattle I doubt Las Vegas is viable because they have the NHL.

KC and Seattle already lost teams (though don't get me started on the whole Sonics-to-OKC fiasco), so I'd be more willing to let Vegas have a shot at the NBA.  Their WNBA team does well and the NBA All-Star Game in Vegas a few years ago was a huge success.

NHL- Not sure Houston maybe? I doubt Atlanta would get a 3rd try but who knows. Now that Seattle has a team there are no major markets in the northern US without a team. Perhaps another one in Canada but I would have no idea where.

I've read that Salt Lake City has begun inquiring as to how to obtain an NHL franchise.  Other "northern" cities that could be considered would be Portland, Cleveland, Cincinnati or Indianapolis, although Cleveland has already failed once and Portland has territorial issues with Seattle. And I second the Houston idea; I always wondered how the NHL justified screwing Houston in the WHA merger.

Life in Paradise

I've read that Salt Lake City has begun inquiring as to how to obtain an NHL franchise.  Other "northern" cities that could be considered would be Portland, Cleveland, Cincinnati or Indianapolis, although Cleveland has already failed once and Portland has territorial issues with Seattle. And I second the Houston idea; I always wondered how the NHL justified screwing Houston in the WHA merger.
[/quote]

Columbus, OH has an NHL team, and that's the only major league team that they can have since Cleveland and Cincinnati have NFL and MLB teams and Cleveland has an NBA team.  I don't know if NHL has the same deference to existing owners that those other leagues do, but if so, that would be enough to keep hockey out of Cleveland and Cincinnati.

TheHighwayMan3561

Seattle is a new team and Columbus has hardly been a juggernaut in its 20+ year existence, so I don't think they'd have much real pull beyond shouting and screaming.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Bruce

Quote from: Life in Paradise on April 13, 2023, 01:19:53 PM
Columbus, OH has an NHL team, and that's the only major league team that they can have since Cleveland and Cincinnati have NFL and MLB teams and Cleveland has an NBA team.

Columbus has an MLS team, which they have built two stadiums for.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: Bruce on April 13, 2023, 01:39:22 PM
Quote from: Life in Paradise on April 13, 2023, 01:19:53 PM
Columbus, OH has an NHL team, and that's the only major league team that they can have since Cleveland and Cincinnati have NFL and MLB teams and Cleveland has an NBA team.

Columbus has an MLS team, which they have built two stadiums for.
You are right, they have MLS as does Cincinnati.  I just haven't got to the point of equating MLS to the same level of NBA, MLB, NFL and NHL.  I know its becoming so in the US and is dominate worldwide but I grew up in a time when soccer was just in a few select high schools in my state.

JayhawkCO

Quebec City, Hamilton, or Halifax jump out to me, the former obviously having had a team before (go Avs!). The first two far likelier than the last, but I think all of Atlantic Canada would probably support a team there.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 14, 2023, 12:39:36 PM

Quebec City, Hamilton, or Halifax jump out to me, the former obviously having had a team before (go Avs!). The first two far likelier than the last, but I think all of Atlantic Canada would probably support a team there.
You would think with a metro of almost half a million and being one of the fastest growing Canadian cities, Halifax would have a chance, but the did a few years ago lose a feeder team to the Edmonton Oilers.

dvferyance

Quote from: vegas1962 on April 12, 2023, 04:53:18 PM

KC and Seattle already lost teams (though don't get me started on the whole Sonics-to-OKC fiasco), so I'd be more willing to let Vegas have a shot at the NBA.  Their WNBA team does well and the NBA All-Star Game in Vegas a few years ago was a huge success.

Now that Las Vegas will be getting the A's that will be 3 major league sports teams in Vegas. Can they support more than that? Vegas aint LA or Dallas or even Phoenix. Portland, SLC, Cleveland and Indianapolis already have NBA teams typically the NBA and NHL don't mix in the same market unless it's big those are only midsize cities. While Cincy doesn't have the NBA it is not far from Columbus which already has an NHL team. So I doubt any of those cities could work for the NHL.

Scott5114

Quote from: dvferyance on April 23, 2023, 08:40:58 PM
Now that Las Vegas will be getting the A's that will be 3 major league sports teams in Vegas. Can they support more than that? Vegas aint LA or Dallas or even Phoenix.

The point of Las Vegas having the Raiders isn't for the locals to go see the Raiders, it's for people from Kansas City to book their Vegas vacation for the weekend the Chiefs are playing the Raiders.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

skluth

Quote from: Bruce on February 17, 2023, 07:07:18 PM
Pro/rel requires a lot of teams to already be on somewhat equal and stable financial footing. No minor league in this country is even close to that. Japan managed to do it in the 1990s only after blowing up the original soccer system and subsidizing the hell out of the second division for a while.

Pro ownership has no need to do that as they all run monopolies of a sort. The NFL, NHL, NBA, and MLB all have some sort of anti-trust exemption. The NFL has no international competition, while the other pro leagues pay far better than their international counterparts. The non-NFL leagues also all have minor league systems for those hoping to someday make the major leagues; it may cost the teams some money but there are also longer term benefits like broader fan support and the occasional star who wasn't a hyped prospect. I doubt team owners want a system which would kill their money-making franchise machines.

on_wisconsin

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 24, 2023, 08:10:32 AM
Quote from: dvferyance on April 23, 2023, 08:40:58 PM
Now that Las Vegas will be getting the A's that will be 3 major league sports teams in Vegas. Can they support more than that? Vegas aint LA or Dallas or even Phoenix.

The point of Las Vegas having the Raiders isn't for the locals to go see the Raiders, it's for people from Kansas City to book their Vegas vacation for the weekend the Chiefs are playing the Raiders.

But 80+ times a year, as in the A's case? Sincerely doubt the draw is going to be that much especially for those Wednesday afternoon games against Detroit or the Nationals.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Ted$8roadFan

I wonder how weather and climate would impact the Las Vegas A's. The Golden Knights and Raiders mostly play in the fall and winter, when (I'm guessing) the weather is nicer than in the summer.  The A's having to play in the blazing hot summer when much of their fan base, especially snowbirds, will be in cooler (but still quite warm) climes elsewhere may become an issue.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.