News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The GPT thread

Started by TheGrassGuy, March 20, 2023, 05:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGrassGuy

Query: "Driving directions between Stamford, CT and Raleigh, NC that entirely avoid I-95."

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Roadgeekteen

I have Chat GPT plus which allows access to GPT 4, so this might be more detailed than GPT 3 would be

To avoid I-95 while traveling between Stamford, CT, and Raleigh, NC, you can follow this alternate route using primarily I-84, I-81, and I-77:

Start in Stamford, CT, and head north on I-684.
Take exit 9E to merge onto I-84 E toward Danbury, CT.
Continue on I-84 E for approximately 56 miles.
Merge onto I-691 W via exit 27 toward I-91/Meriden/Waterbury.
After 8.5 miles, take exit 1 to merge onto I-91 S toward New Haven.
Travel approximately 37 miles on I-91 S and then take exit 17 to merge onto CT-15 S/Wilbur Cross Pkwy toward New York City.
After about 5 miles, take exit 68W to merge onto I-691 W toward I-84/Waterbury.
In 2 miles, use the left lane to take exit 1 to merge onto I-84 W toward Waterbury.
Follow I-84 W for approximately 119 miles, entering New York.
Merge onto I-87 S via exit 20 toward Newburgh.
Continue on I-87 S for approximately 8 miles, and then take exit 17 for I-84 W toward Scranton.
Follow I-84 W for approximately 50 miles, entering Pennsylvania.
Merge onto I-81 S via exit 4A toward Wilkes-Barre.
Continue on I-81 S for approximately 370 miles, entering Maryland, West Virginia, and Virginia.
In Virginia, take exit 72 to merge onto I-77 S toward Charlotte, NC.
Continue on I-77 S for approximately 111 miles, entering North Carolina.
Take exit 48B to merge onto I-85 N toward Durham.
After about 55 miles, take exit 165 to merge onto I-40 E toward Raleigh.
Travel approximately 25 miles on I-40 E, then take exit 298B to merge onto US-401 N/S Saunders St toward Downtown Raleigh.
Continue on US-401 N/S Saunders St for about 1.5 miles, and you will reach Raleigh, NC.
Please note that these directions may not be the fastest route and are subject to change due to road conditions or construction. It's always a good idea to use a GPS or a mapping service like Google Maps for the most up-to-date directions and traffic information.

Looks like chat gpt wants to take us on a grand Connecticut loop tour
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

golden eagle

How does one get access to ChatGPT?

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

From the last ChatGPT thread:

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 22, 2023, 06:51:08 AM
Prompt: Write the national anthem for an absurd country called Alanland that values goats and quoting long posts

Quote from: ChatGPT
O Alanland, we hail thee,
Our country of goats and posts,
We honor thy greatness,
And all that it boasts.

Our loyalty is strong,
Our spirit is true,
Our goats are our pride,
And our posts are our due.

We'll fight for our right,
To quote and to post,
Our goats are the best,
From coast to coast.

Our Alanland is grand,
And our future is bright,
Our people are strong,
And our goats are a sight.

So raise up your voice,
And sing out with pride,
For our Alanland,
We will always abide.

For intended-to-be-factual content, though, it does worse (wrong parts underlined):
Interstate 44 is a major highway that runs through the central United States, connecting the states of Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, and a small portion of Kansas. The highway is approximately 634 miles long, beginning at the junction of Interstate 70 and Interstate 55 in downtown St. Louis, Missouri, and ending in Wichita Falls, Texas, at the Texas-Oklahoma border.

Interstate 44 passes through several major cities, including Springfield and Joplin, Missouri; Tulsa and Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; and Wichita Falls, Texas. It is an important route for both commercial and personal travel, linking major metropolitan areas in the Midwest and the southern Great Plains. The highway's construction began in the 1950s and was completed in the 1970s. Along its route, it passes through a diverse range of landscapes, including rolling hills, flat plains, and mountainous terrain.

Oklahoma Highway 152 is a state highway located in western Oklahoma, USA. It runs approximately 82 miles in an east-west direction, connecting the towns of Sayre, Cordell, and Weatherford. The highway begins at the Texas-Oklahoma border and ends at an intersection with Interstate 40 in Weatherford.

Oklahoma Highway 152 passes through a mostly rural landscape and is surrounded by farmland and grassland. It is an important route for commercial and personal travel, connecting several small towns along its path. The highway's western end is near the Texas Panhandle, and it is often used as a route to access destinations in western Oklahoma from the neighboring state. Oklahoma Highway 152 was established in the early 1930s and has since undergone several realignments and construction projects. Today, it remains an important transportation link for the region.

I dunno where it got Weatherford from. It kind of sounds like it's mixing up OK-152 and I-40. It actually ends at I-44 in Oklahoma City, and is 149 miles long.

When it gets really bad, though, is when you ask it a question that is itself sort of wrong. Here, I asked about OK-41, which is just the previous number OK-152 was (but someone might not know that if they just ran across it on an old map). The answer should be more or less the same as the above, but instead we get:

Oklahoma Highway 41 is a state highway located in central and eastern Oklahoma, USA. The highway runs approximately 120 miles from the town of Hennessey in central Oklahoma to the town of Siloam Springs, Arkansas, at the Oklahoma-Arkansas border.

Oklahoma Highway 41 passes through several smaller towns and rural areas and is a two-lane road for much of its length. The highway is an important route for local and regional travel, connecting several communities and providing access to recreational areas along the way. It is also a designated scenic route in parts, offering views of rolling hills, farmland, and forests.

The highway was originally established in the 1920s and has undergone several realignments and construction projects over the years, including adding turn lanes and improving bridges. Today, it remains an important transportation link for the region and is used by local residents, commercial vehicles, and travelers passing through Oklahoma.

This seems like a mishmash of parts of OK-51 and US-412. What it is not is any highway that's ever actually existed in Oklahoma, much less with the number 41.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheGrassGuy

"cookie monster expressway"

kurumi

What happens when you ask it to design an interchange?
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Roadgeekteen

Design a highway interchange.

QuoteDesigning a highway interchange is a complex task that involves traffic engineering, safety considerations, and environmental factors. Here is a high-level description of a design for a highway interchange. This example will feature a "Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI)," which is known for its efficiency and safety improvements over traditional designs:

Location and Environmental Considerations:
Choose a location for the interchange that will minimize environmental impacts, such as avoiding sensitive habitats or wetlands. Conduct a thorough environmental assessment to ensure the design complies with all relevant laws and regulations.

Traffic Analysis:
Study the traffic patterns in the area, considering current and projected traffic volumes, and determine the appropriate size and capacity of the interchange. The traffic analysis should also include potential traffic growth from nearby developments and changing travel patterns.

Interchange Configuration:
The Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI) is an innovative design that eliminates left-turn conflicts and reduces the number of traffic signal phases. It consists of two signalized intersections, where traffic temporarily switches to the left side of the road to allow for unimpeded left turns onto the highway.

Highway Design:
Design the highway approaches to the interchange with appropriate merging and diverging lanes. Ensure there is sufficient distance between the interchange and nearby intersections to avoid congestion and weaving issues.

Pedestrian and Bicycle Facilities:
Include provisions for pedestrian and bicycle facilities, such as sidewalks, crosswalks, and bicycle lanes or shared-use paths. Ensure that pedestrians and cyclists can navigate the interchange safely and efficiently.

Drainage and Stormwater Management:
Design a drainage system that accommodates stormwater runoff from the interchange and the surrounding area. Include features like retention ponds, infiltration basins, or other stormwater management practices to minimize environmental impacts.

Lighting and Signage:
Install appropriate lighting and signage to guide drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists through the interchange. Ensure that all signs are visible and conform to relevant standards.

Safety Features:
Incorporate safety features such as guardrails, crash attenuators, and proper pavement markings to reduce the risk of accidents.

Landscaping and Aesthetics:
Design landscaping and aesthetic elements that complement the surrounding environment, mitigate noise and visual impacts, and contribute to a positive driver experience.

Construction Phasing and Traffic Management:
Plan construction phasing to minimize disruption to the existing traffic flow. Develop a traffic management plan that includes detours, temporary traffic controls, and public communication.

This high-level design should be further developed and refined by a team of experienced engineers, planners, and environmental experts to ensure a safe, efficient, and environmentally responsible interchange.

TheGrassGuy

Ned Weasel

Since it's been over a week, I might as well reveal how I used this thing to make this April Fool's joke: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33129.msg2833204#msg2833204

I was honestly hoping someone would figure it out, since I left a major clue in the original post, as an Easter Egg.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Scott5114

What keyed me into the fact that it was a fabrication was State Senator John Smith; there is nobody by that name in the Legislature. (If you had subbed in Nathan Dahm, I would have completely bought it.)

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 09, 2023, 09:26:59 PM
What keyed me into the fact that it was a fabrication was State Senator John Smith; there is nobody by that name in the Legislature. (If you had subbed in Nathan Dahm, I would have completely bought it.)

That wasn't even the clue I intentionally put in there.  When that was generated, and I read the name "John Smith," I debated with myself for a few minutes whether I should bother to look up the name of an actual, current Oklahoma state legislator.  But then I figured, "Nah, most people who read this probably won't bother to check."
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

1995hoo

Don't use ChatGPT to write a legal brief.

QuoteSchwartz's firm has been suing the Colombian airline Avianca on behalf of Roberto Mata, who claims he was injured on a flight to John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City. When the airline recently asked a federal judge to dismiss the case, Mata's lawyers filed a 10-page brief arguing why the suit should proceed. The document cited more than half a dozen court decisions, including "Varghese v. China Southern Airlines,"  "Martinez v. Delta Airlines"  and "Miller v. United Airlines."  Unfortunately for everyone involved, no one who read the brief could find any of the court decisions cited by Mata's lawyers. Why? Because ChatGPT fabricated all of them. Oops.

Opposing counsel called the matter to the court's attention when they couldn't find the cited cases. The judge ordered Schwartz to file copies. He did. Opposing counsel still couldn't find them, and when the judge called the Eleventh Circuit clerk's office to investigate, they confirmed the citation to one of their purported cases was not real. Apparently he had ChatGPT generate the cases. This guy isn't a junior associate, either. I cannot believe an experienced attorney would not expect opposing counsel (and the judge's law clerks) to look up the cases he cited.

The sanctions hearing is next Thursday. This is not going to end well for Schwartz or his firm.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Earlier this week, my cellphone newsfeed showed a roadgeek-ish article heading in its listing. What I found interesting is that within the introduction it was stated that "This post includes content written by AI."
So here is a lame blog post concerning US 422, in NE Ohio and streetlights.

https://original.newsbreak.com/@the-written-1682959/3048993240589-the-mystery-of-unilluminated-nights-exploring-the-lack-of-lights-on-u-s-route-422-in-ohio?_f=app_share&s=a13&share_destination_id=MTgzMDA0MDUwLTE2ODYwODgyNTkxMDA=&pd=0CNriEmh&hl=en_US&send_time=1686088259&actBtn=floatShareButton&trans_data=%7B%22platform%22%3A1%2C%22cv%22%3A%2223.22.1%22%2C%22languages%22%3A%22en%22%7D
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

TheGrassGuy

# Why Syracuse's I-81 Grid Removal is Actually a Stroke of Genius

Guess what, Syracuse? Your municipal authorities have pulled a fast one on you and it's nothing short of inspired. While most residents grumbled about the plan to remove I-81's elevated highway through downtown and replace it with a street-level grid, the folks in charge were really playing 4D chess this whole time.

Let me explain: by demolishing the aging highway structure, Syracuse DOT isn't just solving decades-old infrastructure problems - they're laying the foundations for a transportation utopia. Without the dividing line of I-81, the entire city will transform into an uninterrupted grid where all streets are created equal. Need to get across town? Just zig-zag your way through the uniform blocks - no more having to yield to faster interstate traffic.

But wait, it gets better. Without the physical and psychological barrier of the elevated highway chewing up valuable downtown real estate, Syracuse is poised for an urban renaissance. Infill development will break out everywhere as realtors convert vacant lots into midrise apartment complexes and mixed-use developments. Tax revenues will soar as young professionals flock to the revitalized core, lured by pedestrian-friendly streets and Nouveau Syracuse cuisine.

Meanwhile, regional commuters will learn to appreciate the slower suburban arterial routes that replace I-81. Sure, it may now take an extra 10 minutes to reach downtown from the outer ring, but that's more time to savor Central New York's resplendent scenery of big box stores and strip malls. And with less through traffic clogging local streets, neighborhoods will feel quieter and more intimate.

So as the demolition trucks move in and Depression-era overpasses crumble into history, don't mourn the loss of I-81. Rejoice, Syracuse - your transportation planners have set you on a course for traffic paradise. The grid is rising!

Rothman

AI is so not ready for prime time.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

vdeane

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on August 28, 2023, 10:16:45 AM

Guess what, Syracuse? Your municipal authorities have pulled a fast one on you and it's nothing short of inspired. While most residents grumbled about the plan to remove I-81's elevated highway through downtown and replace it with a street-level grid, the folks in charge were really playing 4D chess this whole time.

Let me explain: by demolishing the aging highway structure, Syracuse DOT isn't just solving decades-old infrastructure problems - they're laying the foundations for a transportation utopia. Without the dividing line of I-81, the entire city will transform into an uninterrupted grid where all streets are created equal. Need to get across town? Just zig-zag your way through the uniform blocks - no more having to yield to faster interstate traffic.

But wait, it gets better. Without the physical and psychological barrier of the elevated highway chewing up valuable downtown real estate, Syracuse is poised for an urban renaissance. Infill development will break out everywhere as realtors convert vacant lots into midrise apartment complexes and mixed-use developments. Tax revenues will soar as young professionals flock to the revitalized core, lured by pedestrian-friendly streets and Nouveau Syracuse cuisine.

Meanwhile, regional commuters will learn to appreciate the slower suburban arterial routes that replace I-81. Sure, it may now take an extra 10 minutes to reach downtown from the outer ring, but that's more time to savor Central New York's resplendent scenery of big box stores and strip malls. And with less through traffic clogging local streets, neighborhoods will feel quieter and more intimate.

So as the demolition trucks move in and Depression-era overpasses crumble into history, don't mourn the loss of I-81. Rejoice, Syracuse - your transportation planners have set you on a course for traffic paradise. The grid is rising!
This is brilliant.  I wonder if the "Nouveau Syracuse cuisine" is referring to Pastabilities...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on August 28, 2023, 08:57:02 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on August 28, 2023, 10:16:45 AM

This is brilliant.  I wonder if the "Nouveau Syracuse cuisine" is referring to Pastabilities...
First time I went there was "eh."  Second time I went there was "eh, could be worse."  Best part was playing with the magnetic poetry on the wall.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

QuoteSault Sainte John Madden, colloquially known as "Saint Madden," is a unique figure representing an intriguing fusion of place and persona. Born out of a metaphorical merging between the historic city of Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan, and renowned football legend John Madden, Saint Madden embodies the hearty spirit of Midwestern America and the passionate dedication of professional sports.

With the natural beauty of the Soo Locks and the St. Marys River coursing through his veins, Sault part of Saint Madden is imbued with a love for nature and a deep attachment to his militaristic history, tracing back to the War of 1812. His enthralling tales of battles fought and victories won are drawn from the city's rich history and resolute spirit.

The John Madden element brings a hefty sport spirit to the table. This side of Saint Madden is persistently heard through his thunderous voice, and his impassioned speeches are known to shake the very bedrock of Marie. Known for his uncanny ability to simplify the complexities of football strategy, Madden's influence makes Saint Madden a walking playbook and a popular pundit in football circles.

Combining Sault Sainte Marie's resilience, based in its fight against harsh winters and its status as a critical transportation hub, and John Madden's indomitable sports spirit nurtures a harmony, resulting in a being with a love for nature, a warrior's spirit, a rich appreciation for history, and a knack for football. And that, dear friend, is the legacy of Sault Sainte John Madden, living steadfast in the hearts of both football enthusiasts and residents of Michigan alike.

GaryV

^ Forgot to mention, Madden's well-known avoidance of flying makes him the perfect patron saint of the "lakers" cargo vessels.

kurumi

working with Azure OpenAI GPT-3.5:

Prompt: Which interstate highways in Connecticut were never built?

Response:
There are a few interstate highways that were proposed or planned but were ultimately never built in Connecticut. Some of them include:

• I-84 Extension in Danbury: An extension of Interstate 84 from its current western terminus in Danbury to connect with I-684 in Southeast, New York was planned but never constructed.

• Route 25 Expressway in Bridgeport: A proposed highway that would have been an extension of Connecticut Route 25 south of Bridgeport to connect with Interstate 95. However, this project was canceled due to community opposition.

• Route 695 in New Haven: Also known as the "Q-Bridge Connector," this proposed expressway would have connected I-91 to I-95 in New Haven. However, it was canceled in the early 1970s due to environmental concerns and community opposition.

• Southwest Expressway in Fairfield County: This proposed highway would have connected Shelton to Danbury, providing an alternative route to I-84. However, the project was abandoned in the 1970s due to opposition from environmental groups and local communities.

I-84 ends at US 7; CT 25 is hard to picture; CT (I?) 695 would have been cool; Southwest Expressway would have been a different alignment of CT 34

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.