News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

I saw a comment saying that Josh Allen guessed tails and lost the game, to which someone else responded that instead of chasing tail, he should ask for head next time.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 24, 2022, 09:52:51 AM
Also, just a reminder that the Chiefs proposed an OT format where each team got the ball after they got burned against NE a couple of years ago.  They were the only team that voted for it.

Oh yeah... remember this?

Quote from: kphoger on January 26, 2021, 04:42:32 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 26, 2021, 04:32:30 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 26, 2021, 04:11:39 PM
The friend whose house we go to for the Super Bowl is a big Chiefs fan.  We were there when he broke the armrest of his sofa by punching it during a game once.  So yeah, he has a very good reason to cheer against the Buccaneers this year.  But, back in 2019, he had zero reason to choose one team over the other, yet he rooted against the Patriots anyway simply because they "always win".

Well, considering the Chiefs had just lost to the Patriots in the championship that season, isn't that reason enough to root against them?

Yeah, remember that broken sofa incident I mentioned?  Guess what day that happened...

So as much as I feel like the end of last night's game was an injustice, it is one small piece of justice that the Chiefs have been there too... that 2018 AFC title game loss was equally crushing.

The other small justice is that the teams that lost this weekend lost in the correct order... Bills>Bucs>Packers>Titans. Bills absolutely deserved to be one of the last 5 teams in the race for the Super Bowl. It's too bad for them that they had to play the Chiefs in this round, but I'm glad they at least got the final time slot.

My personal feeling is that overtime should be one 10-minute period that's just like regulation. You play all 10 minutes, if someone's ahead at the end of the 10 minutes they win, if it's still tied it becomes sudden death with any score.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on January 24, 2022, 10:18:33 AM
My personal feeling is that overtime should be one 10-minute period that's just like regulation. You play all 10 minutes, if someone's ahead at the end of the 10 minutes they win, if it's still tied it becomes sudden death with any score.

But how do you determine who gets the ball for the 2nd OT?  Coin toss?  Then you get the same bitching.  (Not from you.  From others.)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 24, 2022, 10:35:06 AM

But how do you determine who gets the ball for the 2nd OT?  Coin toss?  Then you get the same bitching.  (Not from you.  From others.)

Or just play another ten minute overtime with no sudden death.  I don't think that it is unreasonable to play until there is an actual decisive winner in the playoffs. 

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 24, 2022, 10:54:44 AM

Or just play another ten minute overtime with no sudden death.  I don't think that it is unreasonable to play until there is an actual decisive winner in the playoffs.

I don't necessarily either, but then some star pulls his hamstring because of overexertion and everyone cries then too.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 24, 2022, 10:59:38 AM

I don't necessarily either, but then some star pulls his hamstring because of overexertion and everyone cries then too.

Here's my crazy idea instead of a 2nd OT (for playoffs only):

If still tied at the end of OT, go to a soccer/hockey-style shootout: each team attempts a 2-pt conversion back-and-forth until one converts + the other doesn't.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Personally I'm not a fan of shootout play.  It is a totally different dynamic than the regulation game and not a good representation of how a contest should be decided.  It actually bothers me a lot that it made into the NHL because people got upset there was regular season ties.  The college football system of overtime's really illustrates how poorly it works in deciding a game.

That's the breaks I say to that.  The likeliness of an NFL game going multiple overtime's is minimal given there is multiple ways to score. 

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jmacswimmer on January 24, 2022, 11:05:59 AM

Here's my crazy idea instead of a 2nd OT (for playoffs only):

If still tied at the end of OT, go to a soccer/hockey-style shootout: each team attempts a 2-pt conversion back-and-forth until one converts + the other doesn't.

Basically go college football at that point. 

I don't know if anyone read the link I posted above, but one person's suggestion was an auction system.  Both teams submit an auction of where they're willing to start the drive if they got the ball first.  Say McDermott says he'll take it on the 18 and Reid picks the 14.  Chiefs get the ball first since they were more aggressive.  I thought that was interesting.

The other suggestion I've seen is something the Ravens submitted where one team picks the yard line where the drive will start, and the other team picks if they want to be on offense or defense.  Kind of similar, but basically Reid says, "We'll start on the 14," and then McDermott counters with "We can score from there, we'll take ball first.".

1995hoo

Considering that only six NFL/AFL games have gone to a second overtime, no NFL game has gone beyond 22:40 of overtime (the 1971 Christmas Day playoff game in which Miami beat Kansas City 27—24 at 7:40 of the second overtime), and only one pro football game has ever made it to a third overtime (a 1984 USFL playoff game in which the LA Express beat the Michigan Panthers 27—21 at 3:33 of the third overtime), there's no reason not to keep playing until someone wins. You don't change the rules to eliminate the possibility of multiple overtime periods when they're that statistically rare.

It's sort of like the people who complain about unlimited overtime in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. About 15 years ago, there was a proposal from some reporters to use a shootout if a game wasn't decided by the end of the third overtime. But (as of the end of last season's playoffs) only 14 games have ever gone beyond a third overtime–barely one percent of all NHL playoff overtime games in league history–and approximately 94 percent of games are decided in the first two overtimes (and, again, those percentages refer to the percentage of total overtime games, so they're far lower than the percentage of total playoff games–which is obviously also true in the NFL example). It makes no sense to change the rules to avoid the possibility of something that is so rare.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Right, my overtime suggestion would be playoffs-only. I think the current format is fine for the regular season.

In the playoffs, I'd be fine with just adding 10 minutes to the clock if it's still tied after 1 OT period and keeping the game going sudden death style from wherever the teams are on the field. Can't think of any reason why that wouldn't work.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on January 24, 2022, 11:13:56 AM

Right, my overtime suggestion would be playoffs-only. I think the current format is fine for the regular season.

In the playoffs, I'd be fine with just adding 10 minutes to the clock if it's still tied after 1 OT period and keeping the game going sudden death style from wherever the teams are on the field. Can't think of any reason why that wouldn't work.

Teams would stall post 8:00 in the OT period likely.  I don't know that it's a detriment, but it's something that would for sure happen.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1 on January 24, 2022, 07:25:48 AM
If they want to reduce overtime: eliminate it entirely. If it's tied at the end of regulation, whoever was ahead most recently wins.

If the team who scored first scored on their opening drive, and were never losing after that and the game ended in a tie, they won as a result...of a coin flip.

Most other proposals either have downsides that people aren't considering that cour occur throughout a game, not just in the final few minutes, or overly complicate OT. Other than allowing both teams to have the ball in OT, regardless if the first score is a TD ot FG, I don't see any option that doesn't have a downside.

thspfc

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 24, 2022, 09:30:36 AM
Quote from: epzik8 on January 24, 2022, 09:20:19 AM
Bills got screwed last night. Enough said.

How so?
The Chiefs are the big bad winners 😡 while Bills are the team that was bad for so long and has never won a title. Therefore, everyone wants the Bills to win because NFL fans have the patience of grasshoppers with ADHD, and when the Bills lose, they automatically must have gotten robbed by the refs because the big bad winners won.

Also missed the part where the game was rigged for Brady yesterday. First the Packers, then the Bucs don't get help from the refs? Seriously, NFL?

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on January 24, 2022, 12:25:10 PM

How so?
The Chiefs are the big bad winners 😡 while Bills are the team that was bad for so long and has never won a title. Therefore, everyone wants the Bills to win because NFL fans have the patience of grasshoppers with ADHD, and when the Bills lose, they automatically must have gotten robbed by the refs because the big bad winners won.

Also missed the part where the game was rigged for Brady yesterday. First the Packers, then the Bucs don't get help from the refs? Seriously, NFL?

I think I saw it on Twitter, but last night was the best reffed game I've seen this year.  Those guys should be in charge of the Superbowl.  No dumb calls.  Everything that was called was pretty obvious, not ticky tack stuff.  You maybe could argue Tyreek could have been called for taunting, but I hate that penalty so much anyway that good riddance.

webny99

How so?

My guess is "screwed" was referring to the overtime rules, not the refs. There really wasn't anything egregious on the reffing front.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on January 24, 2022, 12:31:14 PM

How so?

My guess is "screwed" was referring to the overtime rules, not the refs. There really wasn't anything egregious on the reffing front.
I just saw this: after the Chiefs lost to the Patriots in the '18 AFC title game, there was a proposal by the Chiefs at an owners' meeting to change the overtime rules. The Bills were reportedly against changing the rules . . .

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on January 24, 2022, 12:51:47 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 24, 2022, 12:31:14 PM

How so?

I just saw this: after the Chiefs lost to the Patriots in the '18 AFC title game, there was a proposal by the Chiefs at an owners' meeting to change the overtime rules. The Bills were reportedly against changing the rules . . .

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 24, 2022, 09:52:51 AM
For the current OT haters, I kinda like this idea - https://arcticdark.com/fieldpositionauction/index.html.

Also, just a reminder that the Chiefs proposed an OT format where each team got the ball after they got burned against NE a couple of years ago.  They were the only team that voted for it.

webny99

And if Josh Allen's comments are any indication, the Bills might not support it even now. As much as I'd like to see it, I don't expect any change to the overtime rules.

Ultimately, I think you have to assume a loss if you let it get to OT, especially for a franchise as heartbreak-prone as the Bills. The Bills' chance to win was to not allow a FG with 13 seconds. As much as it pains me to say this, "13 seconds is too much time for Mahomes!" is undoubtedly going to be a much more enduring narrative than "Allen didn't get a chance in OT!".

DenverBrian

Or...just have coaches who have common sense clock management and, with 13 seconds left and the lead, kick the ball off to force a return instead of kicking out of the end zone.   :clap:

The level of whining from western NY is out of control.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: webny99 on January 24, 2022, 01:10:57 PM
And if Josh Allen's comments are any indication, the Bills might not support it even now. As much as I'd like to see it, I don't expect any change to the overtime rules.

Ultimately, I think you have to assume a loss if you let it get to OT, especially for a franchise as heartbreak-prone as the Bills. The Bills' chance to win was to not allow a FG with 13 seconds. As much as it pains me to say this, "13 seconds is too much time for Mahomes!" is undoubtedly going to be a much more enduring narrative than "Allen didn't get a chance in OT!".

This isn't specific to the Bills, because I haven't seen anybody try this, but the defense really ought to deliberately commit defensive holding on every play in that situation. Unlike pass interference, holding is just a 5 yard penalty. 13 seconds isn't enough time to get very far down the field in 5 yard chunks. I'd have defensive players flat out tackling every eligible receiver right at the snap.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JayhawkCO

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 24, 2022, 01:25:36 PM

This isn't specific to the Bills, because I haven't seen anybody try this, but the defense really ought to deliberately commit defensive holding on every play in that situation. Unlike pass interference, holding is just a 5 yard penalty. 13 seconds isn't enough time to get very far down the field in 5 yard chunks. I'd have defensive players flat out tackling every eligible receiver right at the snap.

You can't.  They changed the rules back in 2017 that if you commit a penalty on the same down, that the penalty yards will be enforced and then they'll bring the clock back to what it was when the play started.  You'd get a couple seconds for one penalty, but then the next penalty would not have any time run out.

The NFL did this in response to the Ravens beating the Bengals similarly in 2016.

Edit - Section 3, Article 3.

jemacedo9

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 24, 2022, 01:34:08 PM

You can't.  They changed the rules back in 2017 that if you commit a penalty on the same down, that the penalty yards will be enforced and then they'll bring the clock back to what it was when the play started.  You'd get a couple seconds for one penalty, but then the next penalty would not have any time run out.

The NFL did this in response to the Ravens beating the Bengals that way in 2016.

In addition, I believe the game cannot end on a defensive penalty by rule.

NWI_Irish96

The NFL did this in response to the Ravens beating the Bengals similarly in 2016.

Well, then at least do it once. Chiefs would have had the ball at the 30 with 8-9 seconds left.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jgb191

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 24, 2022, 07:44:23 AM
Regarding overtime, defense is part of the game too, not just offense.

Exactly my point: the winner of coin toss needs to play their defense too at least once, not just their opponent.  The coin is still deciding which defense gets a free pass just because the offense scored first.  Both teams need to play both offense and defense at least once in OT, and then sudden death if both defenses successfully stop the other offense.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

JayhawkCO

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 24, 2022, 01:58:30 PM

Well, then at least do it once. Chiefs would have had the ball at the 30 with 8-9 seconds left.

Yeah.  They should have tried to kick it to the 5, high in the air, and then held once on the next play.  KC likely would have had it at the 10 with only 5 seconds or so.  Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.