News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

SW Pennsylvania

Started by rickmastfan67, November 30, 2011, 10:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Northside

Quote from: MASTERNC on August 24, 2021, 09:27:38 AM
I viewed the proposed design, I wonder how they will get any hazmat/oversize that overshot the exit off the highway.

They'll probably just turn them around at the base of the tunnels.  That's what they started doing with the inbound Squirrel Hill tunnel.   They used to try and direct traffic off @ Edgewood / Swissvale with detectors and lights, but they shifted that a few years ago to the tunnel plaza.   What sucks about making that standard operating procedure is it requires that traffic be stopped while the over-height vehicle turns around.
(Outbound [EB] over-height traffic is directed to get off @ Squirrel Hill when the lights are flashing)

The concern I have is more of runaway trucks using the ramp instead of the escape ramp, since they are so close.
I've always kind of wondered how much use that runaway truck ramp gets. 
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 24, 2021, 04:14:01 PM
The concern I have is more of runaway trucks using the ramp instead of the escape ramp, since they are so close.
I've always kind of wondered how much use that runaway truck ramp gets.

Enough to be justified I'm sure.  It's almost always not needed during Rush Hour though, due to traffic going at a snails pace already due to the weave condition at the bottom of the hill.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 26, 2021, 08:29:53 PM
PennDOT - District 11 News: I-376 Banksville Interchange Project Online Virtual Public Open House Thursday

Watching the video, I hope somebody pointed out the following to them in the animation that might still cause a lot of trouble.

They show Banksville Road merging onto I-376 with 2 lanes and with the 2 lanes from I-376, merging into only 3 lanes.  That will be a nightmare trying to force 2 lanes of traffic into one lane (the right lane on I-376 & the left lane on the ramp from Banksville to form a 'middle' lane).  They really need to turn Banksville into a single lane by the time of the merge onto I-376.

JoeP2

So in catching, I see the comments about the Banksville changes, but it seems for years there were planned changes to Greentree (and maybe Carnegie?) - what happened to those interchange/ramp changes. It's really appalling that Greentree has the most asinine and unsafe ramps imaginable.

lepidopteran

In reference to the Banksville Interchange, you know how the highway runs under two adjacent railroad bridges, one taller and one shorter?  Surprisingly, the shorter bridge is still present in the "after" video, even though it looks like the tracks across it haven't been used in a long time (and another bridge that took them over Route 51 along the river was removed sometime within the last 10 years).  You'd think having those abutments out of the way would make for a wider roadway.

Bitmapped

Quote from: lepidopteran on October 18, 2021, 11:13:03 PM
In reference to the Banksville Interchange, you know how the highway runs under two adjacent railroad bridges, one taller and one shorter?  Surprisingly, the shorter bridge is still present in the "after" video, even though it looks like the tracks across it haven't been used in a long time (and another bridge that took them over Route 51 along the river was removed sometime within the last 10 years).  You'd think having those abutments out of the way would make for a wider roadway.

The lower bridge is the former W&LE West End Branch. It's been out of service for about a decade, and I believe it is now officially abandoned. The upper bridge is still in-service.

Removing the median pier from the low bridge doesn't buy you anything because you still have the piers from the high bridge. Removing the right abutment doesn't really get you anything, either, because there is a large retaining wall right in front of it that supports a pier for the high bridge. To move that retaining wall back appreciably (or at all?) you'd have to rebuilt large parts of the high railroad bridge. The land behind the bridge abutments also appears to be park, which adds another level of challenge to this.

Basically, unless you're willing to drop a lot of extra money, you're basically stuck with what you've got.

74/171FAN

In I-70 news, I found out this morning that the I-70/PA 31 conversion from a cloverleaf interchange to a diamond interchange and the reconstruction of I-70 is substantially complete.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

lepidopteran

According to the project website, the plan also reconstructed the surrounding section of I-70, which included increasing the radius of two curves.

One thing the map does not indicate are traffic signals at the new diamond ramps.  That in itself says something about how overbuilt the full cloverleaf was.

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: Bitmapped on October 22, 2021, 09:54:07 AM
Quote from: lepidopteran on October 18, 2021, 11:13:03 PM

The lower bridge is the former W&LE West End Branch. It's been out of service for about a decade, and I believe it is now officially abandoned. The upper bridge is still in-service.

Removing the median pier from the low bridge doesn't buy you anything because you still have the piers from the high bridge. Removing the right abutment doesn't really get you anything, either, because there is a large retaining wall right in front of it that supports a pier for the high bridge. To move that retaining wall back appreciably (or at all?) you'd have to rebuilt large parts of the high railroad bridge. The land behind the bridge abutments also appears to be park, which adds another level of challenge to this.

Basically, unless you're willing to drop a lot of extra money, you're basically stuck with what you've got.

I thought I saw where one of the bridges was a historical landmark.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

When driving I-376 recently, I noticed that some signs were calling the I-376 BL a BS (so some signs show it as a Business Spur instead of a Business Loop).  I emailed District 11 today, and I received clarification that it is still a business loop so I guess those signs are an error.

74/171FAN

MASTERNC

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 07, 2021, 11:17:15 AM
(For I-376, US 22, US 30, and PA 60) PennDOT - District 11 News: Route 22/I-376 Interchange Improvement Project Online Public Meeting Wednesday

Surprised they're redoing this interchange again.  Didn't they just eliminate some of the cloverleaf ramps?

74/171FAN

Quote from: MASTERNC on December 07, 2021, 01:07:06 PM
(For I-376, US 22, US 30, and PA 60) PennDOT - District 11 News: Route 22/I-376 Interchange Improvement Project Online Public Meeting Wednesday
Surprised they're redoing this interchange again.  Didn't they just eliminate some of the cloverleaf ramps?

The I-376 Interstate Guide Page indicates that this was part of the conversion of PA 60 to I-376 back in 2009-2010.

QuoteThe Route 22/30/60 project ran through November 2010, with loop ramps removed from PA 60 west to I-376.

Bitmapped

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 07, 2021, 02:48:02 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on December 07, 2021, 01:07:06 PM

The I-376 Interstate Guide Page indicates that this was part of the conversion of PA 60 to I-376 back in 2009-2010.

QuoteThe Route 22/30/60 project ran through November 2010, with loop ramps removed from PA 60 west to I-376.

It was an upgrade on the cheap. They reused the existing (original) overpass bridge basically as-is, and dropped two loop ramps to eliminate weaving in the interchange along I-376. There are still a lot of weave issues between this interchange and the Summit Park Drive one just north.

This is an area where making a couple new connections with adjoining roads could take a lot of traffic load off this interchange and the next one up I-376. Connecting the two parts of Montour Church Road just to the west, to allow access to shopping from US 22, would help. Realigning Campbells Run Road to meet PA 60 at Robinson Center Drive and/or extending Robinson Center Drive to a new I-376 partial interchange would also help.

I hope there is consideration at improving access with adjoining roads to allow traffic to bypass this interchange. Connected the two halves of Montour Church Road would allow

traffic to/from the west going to the shopping district to stay off I-376.

74/171FAN

The plan at the moment is to convert this interchange into a DDI including a connection from I-376 WB to PA 60 SB.

Roadsguy

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 08, 2021, 05:37:37 PM

The plan at the moment is to convert this interchange into a DDI including a connection from I-376 WB to PA 60 SB.

Yep; just attended the public meeting. It's too bad 22/30 won't be given two-lane, high-speed movements, but of course PennDOT doesn't exactly have a bottomless well of funds right now...
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

74/171FAN

CanesFan27

Growing up in the 80s, I vividly remember being curious about the Twin Rivers Scenic Road signs that had popped up along PA 48 and other roads near where I grew up. It was probably the first signed "touring route" I wanted to follow.  But I grew up - wanted to discover new things - and then moved to North Carolina.  About 22 years ago, a group of us tried to figure out where and what the Twin Rivers Scenic Road went and was, but we never got around to it.  Fast forward to this past fall and a photo and a question in a Facebook Group had me blow off the dust and dive in the deep reservoirs of roadgeek information to try and figure out this road.  Spoiler Alert: I still don't exactly know.

The Twin Rivers Scenic Road - A Mon Valley Mystery is up on the blog:
https://www.gribblenation.org/2022/01/twin-rivers-scenic-road-mon-valley.html

Plus, when was the last time you saw an article reference misc.transport.road as a source of information.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.