News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

4 counties common to 4 corners

Started by roadman65, August 11, 2020, 04:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 12, 2020, 05:32:59 PM
You missed one real 4 corners: that of Woodson/Allen/Wilson/Neosho (If OpenStreetMap is not mistaken). All apparent others can be resolved to two tripoints close to each other even at the furthest out OSM shows county lines, in all cases the county to the southwest borders the one to the northeast.

You are correct, maestro.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ftballfan

Quote from: kphoger on August 13, 2020, 09:55:00 AM
You missed one real 4 corners: that of Woodson/Allen/Wilson/Neosho (If OpenStreetMap is not mistaken). All apparent others can be resolved to two tripoints close to each other even at the furthest out OSM shows county lines, in all cases the county to the southwest borders the one to the northeast.

On Google Earth, it looks like Douglas, Franklin, Miami, and Johnson counties have a true four corner.

Surprisingly, West Virginia appears to have a four corner (Mineral, Grant, Hardy, and Hampshire counties)

Also, Kentucky appears to have one with Bourbon, Montgomery, Bath, and Nicholas counties.

Mississippi has one with Hinds, Rankin, Copiah, and Simpson counties.

One that straddles the NC/SC line: Robeson (NC), Dillon (SC), Horry (SC), Columbus (NC)

kphoger

Quote from: ftballfan on August 13, 2020, 10:10:42 AM

On Google Earth, it looks like Douglas, Franklin, Miami, and Johnson counties have a true four corner.

Also correct, sir.  That puts Kansas up to 9 four-points.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 11, 2020, 04:37:45 PM
Indiana:

1) Starke, Marshall, Pulaski, Fulton
2) Porter, LaPorte, Jasper, Starke

Starke County is part of two 4 corner points.
You're first mention was the first one that came to mind even though there are several in Michigan. It's mainly because I still have those four counties to clinch and my plan is to hit the quad point of Starke, Marshall, Pulaski and Fulton counties.

jp the roadgeek

You'll certainly never see it in RI or DE, given that for the most part, counties are stacked south to north.  CT is essentially a 4x2 horizontal grid, with plenty of points where 3 (but not 4) counties come together.  There is one town in New London County (Colchester) that borders towns in 3 other counties; Marlborough (Hartford), Hebron (Tolland), and East Hampton (Middlesex).  Hawaii also has none :sombrero:
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

mgk920

Wisconsin has several.  Without scouring the entire state, I know that there is one at 124 St/County Line Rd in the City of Milwaukee (Milwaukee/Ozaukee/Washington/Waukesha) and one in the City of Wisconsin Dells (Adams/Columbia/Juneau/Sauk).

Mike

CNGL-Leudimin

Double checking the NWS county warning area map I found there is actually a junction of 4 forecast areas in Kansas, so I ammended my previous post.

Also, OpenStreetMap verifes that there's indeed another 4 corners in Kansas that I also missed at first glance.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

ErmineNotyours

King, Pierce, Yakima and Kittitas Counties converge at Naches Pass, Washington.  Accessible only by Forrest Service roads.  Open Street Map

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on August 12, 2020, 02:04:57 PM
Quote from: kphoger on August 11, 2020, 04:52:01 PM
Kansas has a few of these.

My own county of Sedgwick has a four-corners with Sumner, Cowley, and Butler.

Here are the four-corner ones for Kansas.  Unless I've missed something, all of the other apparent ones are actually near misses.

I like the map you provided. I think you missed two though, what about where Woodson, Allen, Wilson and Neosho come together or is that off by a little bit? Also where Neosho, Wilson, Montgomery and Labette come together. I'm not familiar with Kansas so not sure but just saw those.

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 14, 2020, 10:13:36 AM
what about where Woodson, Allen, Wilson and Neosho come together or is that off by a little bit?

Already pointed out.

Also where Neosho, Wilson, Montgomery and Labette come together. I'm not familiar with Kansas so not sure but just saw those.

It's a near miss, by about a quarter-mile.
Male pronouns, please.

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on August 14, 2020, 11:15:07 AM
what about where Woodson, Allen, Wilson and Neosho come together or is that off by a little bit?

Already pointed out.

Also where Neosho, Wilson, Montgomery and Labette come together. I'm not familiar with Kansas so not sure but just saw those.

It's a near miss, by about a quarter-mile.
There's one that was mentioned earlier by ftballfan which is about 40 miles from my house it's where Saginaw, Clinton, Gratiot and Shiawassee counties come together it's off by about a half mile.

golden eagle

We have three instances here in Mississippi. The first one is the region that involves Copiah, Hinds, Rankin and Simpson counties. Another four-set is in south Mississippi: Hancock, Harrison, Pearl River and Stone. And then there's the complex of 14 counties in eastern and central Mississippi: Attala, Clarke, Holmes, Jasper, Kemper, Lauderdale, Leake, Madison, Neshoba, Newton, Scott, Smith, Winston and Yazoo.

debragga

Louisiana has several that are close, but the only one I could find is Allen-Evangeline-Acadia-Jefferson Davis

US 89

Unless I'm missing one somewhere, I believe Georgia has four:

Gordon/Pickens/Bartow/Cherokee
Hall/Jackson/Gwinnett/Barrow
Barrow/Jackson/Oconee/Clarke
Twiggs/Wilkinson/Bleckley/Laurens

golden eagle

Quote from: debragga on August 16, 2020, 12:23:42 PM
Louisiana has several that are close, but the only one I could find is Allen-Evangeline-Acadia-Jefferson Davis

Beauregard and Calcasieu parishes almost made the cut with Allen and Jefferson Davis.

golden eagle

Quote from: US 89 on August 16, 2020, 03:50:38 PM

The Hall/Jackson/Gwinnett/Barrow set don't appear to meet at four corners.

US 89

Quote from: golden eagle on August 16, 2020, 07:50:02 PM

The Hall/Jackson/Gwinnett/Barrow set don't appear to meet at four corners.

From county-counting site mob-rule, matching the lines I see on OSM:

Google even has a "Four Corners Monument" there, for what it's worth...

TravelingBethelite

Missouri has no four corner county intersections, from what I can tell. It has two close misses, both in the northeast part of the state. They are near-misses by a matter of yards, no more than a eighth of a mile.

-Macon/Shelby/Randolph/Monroe
-Sullivan/Adair/Linn/Macon
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

bassoon1986

Quote from: golden eagle on August 16, 2020, 07:45:51 PM
Quote from: debragga on August 16, 2020, 12:23:42 PM

Beauregard and Calcasieu parishes almost made the cut with Allen and Jefferson Davis.
Found one where parishes all meet in the middle of Lake Pontchartrain:

St John
St Charles
Jefferson
Tangipahoa

iPhone

ftballfan

There are a few more in GA, plus two on a state line:
Laurens/Johnson/Emanuel/Treutlen
Treutlen/Emanuel/Montgomery/Toombs
Emanuel/Candler/Tattnall/Toombs
Rabun/Oconee (SC)/Macon (NC)/Jackson (NC)
Brooks/Lowndes/Madison (FL)/Hamilton (FL)

Some more appear to very narrowly miss:
Crawford/Bibb/Peach/Houston
Crawford/Peach/Macon/Taylor
Catoosa/Whitfield/Hamilton (TN)/Bradley (TN)
Seminole/Decatur/Gadsden (FL)/Jackson (FL)

JayhawkCO

For Colorado, we have the following:

Montezuma, CO; San Juan, NM; Apache, AZ; San Juan, UT - Already listed above
Mesa, CO; Montrose, CO; San Juan, UT; Grand, UT - Already listed above
Dolores, CO; Montezuma, CO; La Plata, CO; San Juan; CO - The only intra-Colorado occurrence, and interestingly the Colorado Trail goes within ~60 feet of it

Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.