News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Road trips "within" a state that take you out of state

Started by ipeters61, January 16, 2020, 12:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

In RI, the quickest (and mostly shortest) route between Providence and Warren/Bristol/Tiverton/Portsmouth/Middletown involves entering and leaving MA via SR 24 or 136 and I-195.

For southern MI; going to/from Lost Peninsula needs to enter and leave OH.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kphoger

Quote from: ipeters61 on January 16, 2020, 12:05:19 AM
However, what I'm interested in are cases where you enter more than one other state to enter your destination state, which is the same as your origin.

I missed this the first time reading the OP.  It seems we've all been posting a bunch of examples that don't fit the criteria.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Not quite what the OP is looking for, but before WV 193 was built to link WV 2 to I-64, I used to cross into Ohio at the bridge on the east side of Huntington, then take OH 7 and US 52 and crossed back into West Virginia to hit I-64. Fewer traffic lights than taking US 60 east, or going through downtown via US 60 and then taking WV 10 to the interstate.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mark68

To get from Denver to the Four Corners Monument takes one into New Mexico on US 160 & NM 597.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on January 23, 2020, 01:36:36 PM
Quote from: ipeters61 on January 16, 2020, 12:05:19 AM
However, what I'm interested in are cases where you enter more than one other state to enter your destination state, which is the same as your origin.
I missed this the first time reading the OP.  It seems we've all been posting a bunch of examples that don't fit the criteria.

Indeed. Well, here is an example that does fit the two-other-states criteria. Both endpoints are in PA, while the fastest route passes through both Delaware and Maryland.

webny99

And why not some more?

Both endpoints in MA, passes through CT and RI.
Both endpoints in OK, passes through AR and MO.
Both endpoints in PA, passes through OH and WV.

I am finding that you really have to be specific with your endpoints when looking for this type of example. Big city to big city just doesn't work like it does when you only have to pass through one other state... except for Buffalo to NYC, of course, which does still qualify!  :awesomeface:

ilpt4u

Western UP of Michigan to Southwest corner of the "mitten"  of Michigan, pretty much all routings will go thru WI, IL, and IN, because the western half of the UP is so much further west than the "mitten"

The quickest way around Lake Michigan will usually be get to Green Bay, WI then I-43 and I-94 or Wausau, WI and use I-39, I-90, I-94

US 89

Quote from: Mark68 on January 23, 2020, 01:59:02 PM
To get from Denver to the Four Corners Monument takes one into New Mexico on US 160 & NM 597.

Getting to the Four Corners monument from any of the four states requires ducking through another state - even NM, in which case you'd likely go through Teec Nos Pos, Arizona.

Bitmapped

Quote from: SteveG1988 on January 16, 2020, 11:09:22 PM
Wheeling WV to Wardensville WV, near the VA/WV state line. 210 miles via 70 to PA, 79 to WV, 68 to MD, MD42 to US219, MD 135 to MD 560, to US50, back into WV on WV42, then US48, to Finally end up in wardensville WV.

Basically any trip between either West Virginia panhandle and the central part of the state is going to involve going through a surrounding state. The preferred routing from Morgantown, the farthest north non-panhandle city, to the Northern Panhandle goes through Pennsylvania. Going to the Eastern Panhandle involves a route through Maryland. Even trips along the Ohio River often involve going through Ohio because SR 7 is a much faster route than WV 2.

jp the roadgeek

To expound upon Fishers Island, the best route from Fishers Island to Whitehall, NY  takes you through CT, MA, and  VT.  New London ferry, city streets, CT 32 North, SR 693, I-395 North, CT 2 West, I-84 West, I-91 North, VT 103 North, US 4 West.  Of the 239 mile trip, less than 10 miles is in NY state; part of the ferry trip, and the last few miles on US 4.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

sparker

One segment of a cross-country trip taken in 1991 started at Kayenta, AZ and went NE on US 163 to its terminus at US 191, then segued at Bluff, UT onto UT 162, which crossed into CO, becoming CO 41.  That terminated at US 160, where we turned back SE through 4 Corners (and, yes, we stopped at the monument!) back briefly through NM into AZ again.  Then we turned east on US 64 into NM, overnighting at Farmington.  So we hit 2 different states before returning to AZ, and 3 states before our daily destination.  Of course, this is one of the few places outside New England where this overall number of states can be accessed in a relatively short trip or trip segment. 

sbeaver44

Anything in New York involving I-86/NY 17 passing by exit 60

Exits 4-59 in NY
Exit 59A in NY (EB ramps partially in PA)
Exit 60 in PA (fully)
Exit 61 in NY (EB ramps mostly in PA)
Exits 62-131 in NY

cpzilliacus

Driving VA-259 (Carpers Pike) in Frederick County, Virginia south from U.S. 50, one enters Hampshire County, West Virginia after a trip of a little more than 4 miles at the junction of County Route 23/8, also VA-610 (this road crosses the line several times).  Carpers Pike politely becomes WV-259 here.  Then things get interesting for the next 3 miles.

The state line runs down the middle of Carpers Pike in at least two places, and at least once the drivers will completely enter Virginia, and then back into West Virginia.  None of this is marked by any  signs, and has been that way for as long as I can remember.

About 42 miles later after a jaunt with U.S. 48 on Corridor H, WV-259 ends at the Virginia border, and VA-259 resumes.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hbelkins

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 17, 2020, 10:31:12 AM
Driving VA-259 (Carpers Pike) in Frederick County, Virginia south from U.S. 50, one enters Hampshire County, West Virginia after a trip of a little more than 4 miles at the junction of County Route 23/8, also VA-610 (this road crosses the line several times).  Carpers Pike politely becomes WV-259 here.  Then things get interesting for the next 3 miles.

The state line runs down the middle of Carpers Pike in at least two places, and at least once the drivers will completely enter Virginia, and then back into West Virginia.  None of this is marked by any  signs, and has been that way for as long as I can remember.

About 42 miles later after a jaunt with U.S. 48 on Corridor H, WV-259 ends at the Virginia border, and VA-259 resumes.

The state line also runs down the middle of WV/VA 127, not too far from here, for a short distance as well.

Also, a trip from Pocahontas, Va., to Bluefield, along VA/WV 102, will take you into West Virginia at least twice.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on February 17, 2020, 03:05:56 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 17, 2020, 10:31:12 AM

The state line also runs down the middle of WV/VA 127, not too far from here, for a short distance as well.

Yes,  it seems that the "state line" part of 127 (Bloomery Pike) is split between being WVDOH-maintained and the other section VDOT-maintained, since the sign assemblies for the state line are between CR 6/2 (I.L. Pugh Road) and VA-734 (S. Sleepy Creek Road) here.  Amusingly, the State Line Store, located west of that point, so facing WV-127, is located in Virginia, and even has a U.S. Postal Service branch for Whitacre, Virginia.

But overall, I think VDOT has more than its fair share of the state line part of SR127.

Quote from: hbelkins on February 17, 2020, 03:05:56 PM
Also, a trip from Pocahontas, Va., to Bluefield, along VA/WV 102, will take you into West Virginia at least twice.

I have never visited the Bluefield VA/WV metropolitan area, but would like to do so sometime.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hbelkins

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 17, 2020, 08:28:29 PM
I have never visited the Bluefield VA/WV metropolitan area, but would like to do so sometime.

The quirky signage would be worth the trip by itself. At that point, you're not terribly far from the new Corridor Q that's under construction in Virginia and Kentucky.

Scott5114

You would think that there'd be a lot of trips like this between the Oklahoma panhandle and the main body of the state, but there aren't a lot of diagonal routes in the Texas panhandle, whereas there is a good one in northwest Oklahoma. So for most points in Oklahoma, the aim is getting to Watonga somehow and then following US-270 and friends northwest. However, there are points in southwest Oklahoma for which US-287 is a more feasible route to get to the Panhandle.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

thenetwork

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 18, 2020, 06:55:03 PM
You would think that there'd be a lot of trips like this between the Oklahoma panhandle and the main body of the state, but there aren't a lot of diagonal routes in the Texas panhandle, whereas there is a good one in northwest Oklahoma. So for most points in Oklahoma, the aim is getting to Watonga somehow and then following US-270 and friends northwest. However, there are points in southwest Oklahoma for which US-287 is a more feasible route to get to the Panhandle.

Isn't there a section or two of US-64 in the OK panhandle  where the eastbound shoulder or travel lane crosses into Texas?

hotdogPi

Quote from: thenetwork on February 18, 2020, 09:49:53 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 18, 2020, 06:55:03 PM

Isn't there a section or two of US-64 in the OK panhandle  where the eastbound shoulder or travel lane crosses into Texas?

It's the shoulder. Driving along the road won't put you in Texas, but it's easy to stop there, get out, and get back in.

And the surrounding area is in New Mexico, not Oklahoma.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

TheHighwayMan3561

If you're going between MN's Arrowhead/Northland and the Driftless Region, it's faster to take US 53 and WIS 93 through Wisconsin.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

stevashe

Haines or Skagway, Alaska to Anchorage or Fairbanks or anywhere else in the main part of Alaska reachable by road takes you through both British Columbia and Yukon Territory!

debragga

Both endpoints in Louisiana, but driving through Mississippi

Start/endpoint 1: Anywhere east of New Roads and South of the MS/LA state line (this area includes Baton Rouge and New Orleans)
Start/endpoint 2: Anywhere north of Ferriday and east of West Monroe (includes Monroe)

kphoger

Quote from: thenetwork on February 18, 2020, 09:49:53 PM

Quote from: 1 on February 18, 2020, 09:55:27 PM
It's the shoulder.

It's neither one.  The shoulder misses entering Texas by a couple of feet.
Below is a picture of the official northwest corner of Texas.
(Click the picture to go to a post with more info.)

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

A lot of people mistake the much easier found witness marker for the actual boundary (shown in pic).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.