News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Road Sign Math

Started by hbelkins, December 21, 2009, 09:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

yakra

http://gribblenation.net/meends/3wfrom95s2.jpg for full-res -- those are exits 112 & 113
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

yakra

yakra

mightyace

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

xonhulu

Quote from: topay on January 28, 2010, 09:42:19 AM
Cool game...here's one solution:
sqrt[37+sqrt(25)-26] = 52/26+2

Good answer.  Mine was sqrt(25)-sqrt(37-26-2)=52/26

topay

I'll clear out these Mass. signs, if someone else will bring the next picture to the table.

Reply 49 ("wicked simple"):  6 + 16 = 7 + 15

Reply 50 (US 202 intersection): 115 - (26 / sqrt(4)) + 100 = 202

Reply 51 (BGS assembly): (8 + sqrt(27/3))/11 = 113 - 112

Reply 52 (US 202 intersection w/ "To I-95" shield): 202 + 4! - 26 = 115 + 95 - sqrt(100)

xonhulu

Good job on all those!

Here's another photo to try:

Scott5114

Why do so many of these involve Oregon in some way?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

xonhulu

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 29, 2010, 11:38:25 PM
Why do so many of these involve Oregon in some way?

I live in Oregon, so naturally most of my photos are from here.  Since OR likes putting mileages with control cities along with their shield assemblies, there are a lot of good shots for this game from my state.  Makes the equations a little more challenging when you have more numbers to deal with.

I agree, though, let's get some more from other parts of the country.  I'd like to solve them more often instead of just submitting.

yakra

> I'll clear out these Mass. signs, if someone else will bring the next picture to the table.
Mass? MASS? Aw man, you're killing me! :(

> Reply 49 ("wicked simple"):  6 + 16 = 7 + 15
That was my first solution, quickly followed by 16 - 15 = 7 - 6

> Reply 51 (BGS assembly): (8 + sqrt(27/3))/11 = 113 - 112
You forgot to take the "1 Mile" into account...

> Reply 52 (US 202 intersection w/ "To I-95" shield): 202 + 4! - 26 = 115 + 95 - sqrt(100)
Cool. I came up with 202+4!-26 = sqrt(100)*(115-95)

And now, another easy one:

yakra

xonhulu

Quote from: yakra on January 30, 2010, 03:35:30 AM
And now, another easy one:

You're right on the easy part:  150/15 = 16 - 6

Android

That one was like instant-solve-easy, but on #57 and #61, I just cannot get them...    :banghead:
(I guess I'm asking, you did solve them before posting, right  ;-) )

In #61, I'm assuming you need to use the 30 on the Speed limit sign as well, since the photo was not cropped to exclude it?   

My brain needed a break, so I looked through my sign folder and spotted this local sign and found it a pretty easy one, so I'll throw it in:

-Andy T. Not much of a fan of Clearview

xonhulu

Quote from: Android on January 30, 2010, 06:18:41 PM
That one was like instant-solve-easy, but on #57 and #61, I just cannot get them...   
(I guess I'm asking, you did solve them before posting, right?)

I posted #57, and I did make sure there was a solution.  I will admit, though, it took me a bit to find it!

In #61, I'm assuming you need to use the 30 on the Speed limit sign as well, since the photo was not cropped to exclude it?

Actually, we've been interpreting the rules to say that the signs must all belong to a single assembly, even though I'm not 100% sure they say that.  Thus, the speed 30 sign should not be used.  Here is the link to the rules again if you want to decide for yourself:  http://www.roadsignmath.com/rules/  

QuoteMy brain needed a break, so I looked through my sign folder and spotted this local sign and found it a pretty easy one, so I'll throw it in:

I'll give yours a shot.  I haven't really attempted #61 yet, either, so I'll give it a look, too.

Android

That's why I asked - because there have been a couple earlier that had separated signs used.  If I was going to post a photo with such ambiguity due to having another sign present, I would just crop the photo to remove the possiblity of a question.

I did look at those rules, but then they started getting into "elegance scoring" stuff and head started to hurt as much as the problems themselves!   :spin:

xonhulu

Quote from: Android on January 30, 2010, 07:31:19 PM
That's why I asked - because there have been a couple earlier that had separated signs used.  If I was going to post a photo with such ambiguity due to having another sign present, I would just crop the photo to remove the possiblity of a question.

It was H.B. Elkins who told us the single assembly rule back in post #19, and he's the one who had past experience with the game, so I'm going with what he said.  But I agree with you, just crop out other signs to remove all ambiguity.

QuoteI did look at those rules, but then they started getting into "elegance scoring" stuff and head started to hurt as much as the problems themselves!   :spin:

I have a feeling the original game was/is more serious than what we're playing.  Here, no one's keeping score AFAIK.

Anyway, I looked at your photo in #63 for awhile, looking for all sorts of equations involving products, quotients, square roots and factorials, before it finally dawned on me that:   25 + 26 + 59 + 91 = 20 + 87 + 94.  C'mon, it's way too hard if it only involves sums!  And I don't get any "elegance" points!  :-(

Android

Dang, that was easier than I thought.  I never tried summing that high! 

Mine answer was only slightly more complicated - I got 87-59-26 = sqrt(25) - (94-91)

xonhulu

Quote from: Android on January 30, 2010, 08:08:03 PM
Dang, that was easier than I thought.  I never tried summing that high! 

Mine answer was only slightly more complicated - I got 87-59-26 = sqrt(25) - (94-91)

As I said, I didn't see it right away, either.  These usually involve more complicated operations.

Case in point:  I just cracked #61:  109 + 95 - 202 = sqrt(11 + sqrt(100) - 17)

Android

Quote from: xonhulu on January 30, 2010, 08:18:47 PM
= sqrt(11 + sqrt(100) - 17)

Thanks!  I had boiled the equation down to 2 one side and 11, 100 and 17 on the other but could not find a way to make those 3 values come out to 2.  And looking at my notes here I now realize why, I always get the squares for 5 and 10 mixed up in my head, so I had 25 wrote down next to 100 as a possibility.  No way I could solve it if I can't do the bloody numbers right!  

xonhulu

Don't feel bad:  I once graded a Pre-Calculus test where the student had 1*1 = 43

hotdogPi

Bump from 2010

We should probably remove the rule that each photo contains one from the last photo, since we're doing several at a time.

I did not use factorials in any of these.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.