News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2021 Supply Disruptions

Started by ZLoth, April 13, 2021, 03:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

Quote from: Duke87 on November 05, 2021, 06:10:37 PM
So we have a shortage of vinyl records now. Did you have that one on your bingo card?

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/adele-vinyl-record-pressing-plant-lp-shortages-1235103951/

The vinyl selection at the nearest Walmart is bigger than the CD section now.

I would never have guessed that vinyl would make a comeback. Funny thing is, those vinyl pressings are being marketed not to owners of high-end stereo systems such as you'd see in the 70s and 80s, but cheap Bluetooth-enabled Crosley turntables that more closely resemble the portable record players they used to bring into school classrooms to play records to accompany instructional filmstrips or slideshows.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bruce

I've noticed a shortage of wet pet food across multiple stores in my county over the past few days.

hbelkins

Quote from: Bruce on November 06, 2021, 01:52:47 AM
I've noticed a shortage of wet pet food across multiple stores in my county over the past few days.

Same here.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on November 06, 2021, 09:13:32 PM
Quote from: Bruce on November 06, 2021, 01:52:47 AM

Same here.

My local Casey's only has XL fountain cups...and not offering refills yet on other sizes.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

snowc

Having trouble finding potato chips, especially Doritos, in Walmart.
Cameron, however, has chips, whereas Dunn does NOT.  :no: :ded:

Brandon

Quote from: snowc on November 10, 2021, 09:48:05 AM

Well of course you're having trouble finding potato Doritos.  They're corn chips!  :pan:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

formulanone

Quote from: Brandon on November 10, 2021, 02:24:18 PM
Quote from: snowc on November 10, 2021, 09:48:05 AM

Well of course you're having trouble finding potato Doritos.  They're corn chips!  :pan:

In a pre-COVID world, you'd be right.

Single-store outages does not a supply chain failure make.

ZLoth

From Ars Technica:

Why the chip shortage drags on and on... and on
Building factories takes time–and a history of highs and lows may deter some investors.
QuoteThe semiconductor industry lives at the cutting edge of technological progress. So why can't it churn out enough chips to keep the world moving?

Nearly two years into pandemic-caused disruptions, a severe shortage of computer chips–the components at the heart of smartphones, laptops, and innumerable other products–continues to affect manufacturers across the global economy.

Automakers have been forced to halt production in recent months as sales decline because they can't make enough cars. The shortage has affected industries from game consoles and networking gear to medical devices. In October, Apple blamed chip scarcity for crimping its financial results, and Intel warned that the drought will likely stretch to 2023.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

snowc

Quote from: ZLoth on November 14, 2021, 12:15:25 PM
From Ars Technica:

Why the chip shortage drags on and on... and on
Building factories takes time–and a history of highs and lows may deter some investors.
QuoteThe semiconductor industry lives at the cutting edge of technological progress. So why can't it churn out enough chips to keep the world moving?

Nearly two years into pandemic-caused disruptions, a severe shortage of computer chips–the components at the heart of smartphones, laptops, and innumerable other products–continues to affect manufacturers across the global economy.

Automakers have been forced to halt production in recent months as sales decline because they can't make enough cars. The shortage has affected industries from game consoles and networking gear to medical devices. In October, Apple blamed chip scarcity for crimping its financial results, and Intel warned that the drought will likely stretch to 2023.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
..and on and on and on...  :pan:

NJRoadfan

Add on passive electronic parts to the list of stuff "out of stock". I went to order some capacitors for board repairs and..... yeah you guessed it..... many were out of stock with lead times ranging from July to November 2022!  :eyebrow: For electrolytic capacitors!

Bruce

Canada is about to get hit with some major disruptions. With the floods in BC taking out two major highways and a major railway, the Port of Vancouver is effectively cut off from the rest of the country.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: NJRoadfan on November 16, 2021, 09:24:20 PM
Add on passive electronic parts to the list of stuff "out of stock". I went to order some capacitors for board repairs and..... yeah you guessed it..... many were out of stock with lead times ranging from July to November 2022! 

And of course, that happens to be the one old-fashioned electronic component that has a shelf life and needs to be restocked when they don't sell.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

ZLoth

From Sports Illustrated:

Bowl Season Is Coming. And There Are Only 36 Pylons Left.
QuoteThe supply-chain crisis has reached the end zone–Gilman Gear usually stocks about 1,000 of those orange markers. As of last week, they had three dozen left. Everything you could ever want to know about the pylon.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

vdeane

I saw on the news a story about how groceries have gone up (I think it was ABC's This Week).  They were featuring a woman who used to be able to spend $100 on eight meals but it now covers only three.  It seems like most of the increases are in meat and produce.  I haven't noticed my groceries go up by nearly that much (though it has gone up some), so maybe that's why my frozen foods are so scarce right now.  They might be the one thing that hasn't gone up dramatically.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ZLoth

Opinion piece by Rick Newman from Yahoo Finance:

Maybe Christmas shortages are a gift
QuoteSanta faces catastrophic disruption this year. Many of the elfin workshops have strict Covid protocols that are slashing capacity. Santa's sleigh will spend weeks trying to offload gifts at clogged ports such as Long Beach and Savannah, and many of those gifts simply won't make it in time. The presents that get through the ports still might not make it to the chimney by Christmas, given a vast shortage of last-mile transporters. Millions of kids face the risk of savage disappointment the morning on December 25.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

GaryV

There was a headline in the newspaper recently along the lines of, "Will the Grinch Steal Christmas Shopping?"

Wait, wasn't the whole point of the Grinch story that the shopping and gifts weren't what Christmas was supposed to be about?

ZLoth

From NBC-DFW:

Supply Chain Crisis Now Threatening Chicken Tenders
This dinnertime staple for many families may be a little more expensive due to ongoing supply chain issues
QuoteChicken tenders are the latest item affected by supply chain issues during the pandemic, which experts say may mean higher prices for them at the grocery store and restaurants.

The tasty kids' staple joins items like maple syrup, wine and spirits, takeout containers and coffee cups among the many products that have been made more scarce or more expensive by pandemic-related supply chain issues.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

7/8

I've noticed at Harvey's (burger chain) for the past few months, they've been using plain white plastic bags for takeout orders instead of their usual brown paper bags with the company logo. And yesterday, they put the onion rings in a plain white cardboard container instead of the branded one.

Quote from: GaryV on December 02, 2021, 12:55:43 PM
There was a headline in the newspaper recently along the lines of, "Will the Grinch Steal Christmas Shopping?"

Wait, wasn't the whole point of the Grinch story that the shopping and gifts weren't what Christmas was supposed to be about?

That's pretty funny. It seems like they didn't think that one through. :colorful:

Quote from: ZLoth on December 03, 2021, 07:02:15 AM

4chan users in shambles! :-D

formulanone

From NBC-DFW:

This dinnertime staple for many families may be a little more expensive due to ongoing supply chain issues
QuoteChicken tenders are the latest item affected by supply chain issues during the pandemic, which experts say may mean higher prices for them at the grocery store and restaurants.

The tasty kids' staple joins items like maple syrup, wine and spirits, takeout containers and coffee cups among the many products that have been made more scarce or more expensive by pandemic-related supply chain issues.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

Kids will have to actually eat the food on the menu?

(Though it's gotta stink for those where tenders are the primary item....Cane's, PDQ, Foosackly's, Guthrie's...)

vdeane

From NBC-DFW:

FULL ARTICLE HERE
That must be why I haven't been able to get my usual Devour Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese frozen food items in two months.  Even after the other Devour brand items reappeared, those haven't.  The Stouffer's Chicken Parmesan has been unavailable too, probably for the same reason.

These supply chain issues are a huge problem for aspies who live on their own and never stopped being picky eaters (or never learned how to be flexible with meal planning).  I haven't been able to do a substitution-free grocery trip in weeks (in fact, a few times I had to bounce to another store because both my usual item and any potential alternates were all gone), even when not counting the probable discontinuation of my preferred bread (which I haven't managed to find since April).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ZLoth

From NBC-DFW:

NBC 5 Responds: Auto Parts Shortage Leads to Delayed Repairs
QuoteA North Texas family said when their car broke down, they learned it take as long as a year to make the repair — thanks to a shortage of automotive parts.

Read on to learn what's behind the problem and what consumers need to know before a breakdown.
FULL ARTICLE HERE (Autoplaying video)

hbelkins

Quote from: vdeane on December 03, 2021, 12:51:32 PM
From NBC-DFW:

FULL ARTICLE HERE
That must be why I haven't been able to get my usual Devour Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese frozen food items in two months.

There have been plenty of those to be found around here recently. I look at them when I'm at the store but then I see "buffalo" and go "blech, no thanks."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.