News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Elgin-O'Hare Tollway

Started by Brandon, January 24, 2013, 05:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

^ The work on I-90 near I-290 is completely separate from the Elgin O'Hare work.  IMHO the changes to the EB exit will only separate the stopped ramp traffic from mainline traffic, as it seems the issue with the EB ramp to EB I-290 is more of the need for a two lane ramp and to eliminate the toll plaza and the slow moving trucks trying to accelerate from the plaza up the ramp.

I also doubt the WB changes will be much of an improvement either, as it decreases the weaving distance between the I-290/IL 53 merge and the Roselle Road exit.  Additionally, after completion of the project this weave area will also see traffic using the new WB entrance from Meacham Road.  The volume of this ramp is probably a guess as there will be some who keep using the I-290/IL 53 ramps to I-90 to avoid the toll for the Meacham entrance, as well as traffic that will be using this ramp in lieu of the currently on hold WB entrance from Roselle Road.

It's much more likely the stretch of I-90 near Roselle Road will be the first that ISTHA has to go back and redo again after completion of the current batch of projects.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: paulthemapguy on February 23, 2016, 06:20:29 PM
I would like to see an expressway connection from the west end of IL-390 to the US20 Elgin Bypass.  This is more for fun (a total pipe dream) but this is a general alignment for the roadway that might be feasible?
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zEtz9t4m6Ba0.kBhBWdy7Pr98&usp=sharing

At the very least, the expressway can loop around the south side of the US20-County Farm intersection and connect with US20 on the northeast side of Bartlett near Park Ave/North Ave.

move IL59/Fox Valley Expy to Randall road or at least the I-90 to I-88 part and extend it to at least us-31 via James R rankow road.

the IL-53 part needs to go to US-12 and IL-120 needs to have an under / overpass at o'plaine road.

ChiMilNet

It looks like the ISTHA has scored a victory, for now over the Bensenville rail yard. Although, it doesn't seem to necessary preclude future lawsuits in Canadian Pacific when the tollway actually uses its eminent domain powers. However, it looks like the tollway is able to proceed with its plans.

http://cookcountyrecord.com/stories/510704715-court-curbs-canadian-pacific-s-attempt-to-block-tollway-from-trying-to-take-rail-yard-land-for-elgin-o-hare-project

paulthemapguy

New Google satellite imagery shows some of the new overpasses being constructed along the new alignment, specifically the piece that parallels Thorndale.  https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9836892,-87.9816362,1636m/data=!3m1!1e3
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

CtrlAltDel

Tolls begin July 5. $1.25 for the part west of 290.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

tribar

Quote from: paulthemapguy on April 06, 2016, 04:08:15 PM
New Google satellite imagery shows some of the new overpasses being constructed along the new alignment, specifically the piece that parallels Thorndale.  https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9836892,-87.9816362,1636m/data=!3m1!1e3

Those images are almost a year old.  They've gotten a lot done since those images were taken, hence they're not really "new".

ILRoad55

Beams for the SB-290 to East-390 ramp have been recently installed. Also the Wood Dale Road underpass is coming along well. Also looks like the ramp onto 390 east from Rohlwing is getting worked on.

I'm just watching the Live Photos, so I don't have much to look at.

The Ghostbuster

Once the east end of 390 is done, we'll have to see what happens on the west end of 390.

dvferyance

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 02, 2016, 04:32:13 PM
Once the east end of 390 is done, we'll have to see what happens on the west end of 390.
What I am waiting to see if it becomes I-390.

ET21

Quote from: dvferyance on May 24, 2016, 10:45:36 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 02, 2016, 04:32:13 PM
What I am waiting to see if it becomes I-390.

I'd assume so, but the new signs installed still have the Illinois shield
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Stratuscaster

No real reason for it to be I-390.

silverback1065

I believe is will be i-390 when it is complete to o'haire

dvferyance

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 25, 2016, 06:56:48 PM
I believe is will be i-390 when it is complete to o'haire
That's what I am thinking too. I agree that right now there is no big need for it to be I-390 but once it is connected with the tri state then it should become I-390 and I believe it will.

lucas01aswell

one more month intil my dad wont be driveing on it sence he doesnt have i pass

Stratuscaster

Quote from: lucas01aswell on June 04, 2016, 09:12:39 PM
Does your dad know that he really doesn't NEED an I-Pass to drive on IL-390? He can pay the toll by mail.

But really, if anyone does any amount of driving around Chicagoland, just pick up an I-Pass.

johndoe780

Quote from: lucas01aswell on June 04, 2016, 09:12:39 PM

As someone who has to take elgin ohare to 290 everyday, not gonna lie, but the new construction has been a blessing.

I'll gladly pay $0.90 one way just because they got rid of those 2 traffic lights. Traffic going eastbound used to get backed up all the way to roselle rd.

dvferyance

I would love to drive on it one for time before the tolls start. Probably not going to happen I am not going all the way down there just to do that.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: dvferyance on June 05, 2016, 03:46:05 PM
I would love to drive on it one for time before the tolls start. Probably not going to happen I am not going all the way down there just to do that.

I was on SB I-290 near the 390 interchange, and I noticed a sign that says new traffic pattern starts this week on I-290. I really hope that involves getting rid of the traffic shift that's been in place. That has caused some backups during heavy traffic, and it would be nice to have that done.

quickshade

Quote from: ChiMilNet on June 05, 2016, 10:08:15 PM

I was on SB I-290 near the 390 interchange, and I noticed a sign that says new traffic pattern starts this week on I-290. I really hope that involves getting rid of the traffic shift that's been in place. That has caused some backups during heavy traffic, and it would be nice to have that done.

They are shifting lanes again so that bridge work can continue. This lane shift is to prepare for bridge beam work on the flyover ramp, The work will take about 2 weeks, not sure if they will shift traffic back to normal after that.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: quickshade on June 05, 2016, 11:01:01 PM

They are shifting lanes again so that bridge work can continue. This lane shift is to prepare for bridge beam work on the flyover ramp, The work will take about 2 weeks, not sure if they will shift traffic back to normal after that.

I appreciate the info. I know it's a necessary evil, but that lane shift has actually caused some major headaches. Part of it is the condition of the pavement on the inside shoulder (though this is more an IDOT vs ISTHA issue).

quickshade

Quote from: ChiMilNet on June 05, 2016, 11:51:52 PM

I appreciate the info. I know it's a necessary evil, but that lane shift has actually caused some major headaches. Part of it is the condition of the pavement on the inside shoulder (though this is more an IDOT vs ISTHA issue).
Agreed, drove it yesterday and the "bump" could throw some drivers off especially anyone that would speed through there. I know the whole area was resurfaced not long ago but maybe they redo that area again after construction is complete. It's almost as bad as the I90 shift right after the fox river bridge, traffic shifts to the other side and besides the sharp lane swing and narrow lanes there is a dip in the pavement that can cause some serious issues. I see the concrete barrier is very beat up on the swing which tells me a few drivers have done some damage to their cars going through there.

dave069

I do wanna go cruising on 390 at least once more before tolls start. Don't see myself using it after they start tho. I don't mind paying the 5-6 cents/mile on I-90, 294, and 88 but 19 cents/mile is way too much IMO, especially for a 55 MPH speed limit.

dvferyance

Quote from: dave069 on June 07, 2016, 01:43:31 AM
I do wanna go cruising on 390 at least once more before tolls start. Don't see myself using it after they start tho. I don't mind paying the 5-6 cents/mile on I-90, 294, and 88 but 19 cents/mile is way too much IMO, especially for a 55 MPH speed limit.
That is a rip off I believe it's even worse on the E470 in Colorado.

I-39

Quote from: quickshade on June 06, 2016, 05:29:16 PM

Agreed, drove it yesterday and the "bump" could throw some drivers off especially anyone that would speed through there. I know the whole area was resurfaced not long ago but maybe they redo that area again after construction is complete. It's almost as bad as the I90 shift right after the fox river bridge, traffic shifts to the other side and besides the sharp lane swing and narrow lanes there is a dip in the pavement that can cause some serious issues. I see the concrete barrier is very beat up on the swing which tells me a few drivers have done some damage to their cars going through there.

The whole I-290/IL-53 corridor from the I-355 split off to Lake Cook Road is in dire need of full reconstruction, but since it's a IDOT road, don't expect to see it anytime soon. Though I am surprised there is not even a study out to evaluate improvements to the corridor. Usually IDOT will put a study out, then say no funding beyond Phase I, thus it gets stuck on the IDOT website for 10 years with no activity.

quickshade

Quote from: I-39 on June 07, 2016, 07:19:18 PM
Quote from: quickshade on June 06, 2016, 05:29:16 PM

The whole I-290/IL-53 corridor from the I-355 split off to Lake Cook Road is in dire need of full reconstruction, but since it's a IDOT road, don't expect to see it anytime soon. Though I am surprised there is not even a study out to evaluate improvements to the corridor. Usually IDOT will put a study out, then say no funding beyond Phase I, thus it gets stuck on the IDOT website for 10 years with no activity.

True, the whole I90 rebuild and IDOT not trying to get anything done with the 290/53 portion of the roadway was a huge letdown. I can already tell traffic will still back up trying to exit I90 onto 290 because they did not improve the tollbooth or the merge lanes. It's a disappointment that our state can't get things in order and work better as a whole.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.