Do a lot of states sign Alternate highways?

Started by OCGuy81, June 01, 2023, 03:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molandfreak

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 05, 2023, 03:30:14 PM
Minnesota has signed alternate routes for I-35 south of the Twin Cities and I-94 northwest of the metro, but not for I-90 (as far as I know) or for I-35 between MSP and Duluth.

What's more interesting though is there are a couple spots where MN signs the continuation of a Wisconsin alternate route (US 10 from I-94 in St. Paul to the border at Prescott is one).
They sign a continuation of I-90 ALT along US 61/14 in La Crescent, too.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Revive 755

Illinois doesn't sign alternate routes much except for construction projects.  The main exception is I-39 which has an emergency route signed along IL 251.  There used to be an "Alt I-39/I-90" along IL 76, but going off Streetview it appears this may have been removed..

Iowa at least used to be very good at signing 'emergency detour' routes.

Missouri used to have a couple ' incident bypass routes' marked former example on I-55, example on I-57) and had orange and blue routes for part of I-55 in the southern portion of the St. Louis metro.

Quote from: Rothman on June 02, 2023, 11:04:59 PM
Eh, just put up temporary signage when needed rather than wasting money maintaining permanent signage that's rarely used.

On some interstates getting the temporary signing up "when needed" could be a challenge due to congestion caused by an incident.

Rothman

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 05, 2023, 10:43:39 PM

Quote from: Rothman on June 02, 2023, 11:04:59 PM
Eh, just put up temporary signage when needed rather than wasting money maintaining permanent signage that's rarely used.

On some interstates getting the temporary signing up "when needed" could be a challenge due to congestion caused by an incident.

It's only been tried and true standard operation for decades...

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.