News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP Cook

Men can and do get breast cancer as well. Rod Roddy (the guy who used to say "come on down" on The Price Is Right) is probably the best-known male victim.

It is possible but you'd be fooling yourself if you said more than a tiny percentage of breast cancers are in men.
[/quote]

My state actually got sued over that.  We had a "non-income based" program (you got the benefit even if you made a million $$ a second and had health insurance) for breast cancer victims.    But the state would not serve this guy who had breast cancer.  He sued and won for sex discrimination.   IMHO, that was a right decision.

The figures are that 1 in 8 women will get breast cancer, 1 in 1000 men.    1 in 30 women will get cervical cancer, 1 in 6 men will get prostate cancer, if you wondering.

apeman33

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 11, 2012, 11:06:25 AM
Quote from: bugo on May 11, 2012, 10:06:51 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 11, 2012, 07:52:35 AM
Quote from: bugo on May 11, 2012, 02:53:37 AM
Quote from: kphoger on May 09, 2012, 09:28:36 AM
To get one, we donated some money to KU cancer research, then showed our receipt at the DMV.  KU got the extra money, the DMV got our normal registration fee.

Why isn't there a prostate cancer plate?  The obsession with breast cancer is sexist.  All cancer needs to be cured, not just one kind. 

Men can and do get breast cancer as well. Rod Roddy (the guy who used to say "come on down" on The Price Is Right) is probably the best-known male victim.

It is possible but you'd be fooling yourself if you said more than a tiny percentage of breast cancers are in men.

If you re-read my comment, you'll notice I did not say that!

Quote from: elsmere241 on May 11, 2012, 10:12:03 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 11, 2012, 07:52:35 AM

What about Brian Piccolo?

I'm not sure I know who that is (or was).

Running back for the Chicago Bears. Died of cancer in his prime. A movie was made about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Piccolo

bugo

Quote from: SP Cook on May 11, 2012, 03:47:28 PM
My state actually got sued over that.  We had a "non-income based" program (you got the benefit even if you made a million $$ a second and had health insurance) for breast cancer victims.    But the state would not serve this guy who had breast cancer.  He sued and won for sex discrimination.   IMHO, that was a right decision.

Yes, it was a no-brainer decision.  The fact that this guy had to go to court to get his benefits is more evidence that the whole Komen charity ad the anti-breast cancer movement is sexist.

The figures are that 1 in 8 women will get breast cancer, 1 in 1000 men.    1 in 30 women will get cervical cancer, 1 in 6 men will get prostate cancer, if you wondering.

If you live to 80, you have something like a 90% chance of having an enlarged prostate.  Not everyone with an enlarged prostate gets cancer, but a significant number of them do.  Prostate cancer is something that hits close to home for me, and that's why I mentioned it in the first place.

oscar

Why isn't there a prostate cancer plate?  The obsession with breast cancer is sexist.  All cancer needs to be cured, not just one kind. 

But breast cancer strikes the young much more often than does prostate cancer.  So when the cancer is fatal, on average breast cancer shortens lifespans more than prostate cancer.

Also, American culture obsesses more about breasts (especially female ones) than prostates.  And the breast cancer fundraisers are much better for guys to hang out with attractive women. :)
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

bugo

Quote from: oscar on May 12, 2012, 09:36:06 PM

But breast cancer strikes the young much more often than does prostate cancer.  So when the cancer is fatal, on average breast cancer shortens lifespans more than prostate cancer.

I'm in my late 30s and I have been diagnosed with an enlarged prostate.  I don't know whether I have cancer or not, and I don't have insurance and can't afford a doctor.  I did have insurance when I went to the ER but I had just been laid off and now my insurance is gone.  What a great medical system we have in America.

apeman33

Quote from: bugo on May 12, 2012, 10:55:42 PM
Quote from: oscar on May 12, 2012, 09:36:06 PM

I'm in my late 30s and I have been diagnosed with an enlarged prostate.  I don't know whether I have cancer or not, and I don't have insurance and can't afford a doctor.  I did have insurance when I went to the ER but I had just been laid off and now my insurance is gone.  What a great medical system we have in America.

My company's insurance is one of those stoopid HRAs. The first $500 of expenses each year is 100-percent paid for, which sounds great. But then the next $2,000 is entirely on me. And since I never spend that much, it basically means I have health insurance for about three months a year. After that, that $250 vial of Symbicort has to go on a credit card. I pay $84 a month to, for all practical purposes, not have insurance for nine months every year. So even if you're on insurance, you might not be on insurance.

I might as well save the $2,184 a year and use it to pay off the credit cards I put my medicine on.

jwolfer

Quote from: SP Cook on May 11, 2012, 03:47:28 PM

[/quote]

And no women get prostate cancer!

swbrotha100

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing every state use their state nickname or slogan on their plates. Better than a website on some plates.

Alex

Sweet Home Alabama or God Bless America on most car tags?

QuoteFor the year beginning Oct. 1, 2010, and ending Sept. 30, 2011, about 880,294 Alabamians were driving around with a God Bless America tag on their vehicle. In that same time period, 2,923,475 state residents were driving with the Sweet Home Alabama tag.

Michael in Philly

^^Are they going to commit treason en masse secede again?
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Road Hog

Just saw on local TV news that Texas is going to start issuing old-school black-and-white plates in the ABC-1234 format.

Not a fan. I like the newest plates better than the circa-2008 plates I have now.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Why do they insist on retaining that stupid 3M font?
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

CentralCAroadgeek

The could've at least used the same flat fonts as AL, GA, MN, OK, SC, SD, and TN. It would look somewhat better. And, I'm pretty sure those new Texas plates come out next month.

blawp

AZ has the best flat surface typeface.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: Road Hog on July 16, 2012, 07:27:04 PM
Just saw on local TV news that Texas is going to start issuing old-school black-and-white plates in the ABC-1234 format.

Not a fan. I like the newest plates better than the circa-2008 plates I have now.
Does this example indicate that Texas will again use vowels in their license plate combinations? Not having to worry about potentially offensive words is the only FKN reason I can think of for this policy.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

vtk

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on July 17, 2012, 06:44:01 PM
Does this example indicate that Texas will again use vowels in their license plate combinations? Not having to worry about potentially offensive words is the only FKN reason I can think of for this policy.

There's always WTF.  And if they have to take specific steps to avoid that and other vowelless profane letter combinations, they might as well use vowels anyway.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

formulanone

Quote from: Alex on July 16, 2012, 01:00:08 PM
Sweet Home Alabama or God Bless America on most car tags?

What was so wrong with "e pluribus unum"? Nobody smote us during all that time...but I suppose it's an option in the Sunshine State as well. (There's other catchy slogans such as "Dealer", "Apportioned", and "Trailer"). :)

signalman

Quote from: vtk on July 18, 2012, 01:14:16 PM
There's always WTF.  And if they have to take specific steps to avoid that and other vowelless profane letter combinations, they might as well use vowels anyway.

I know NC issued the WTF series.  It was the current high when they switched to red characters from blue.  That didn't go so well and they returned back to blue mid Z series.

route56

Quote from: kphoger on May 09, 2012, 05:00:05 PM
What people around here sometimes refer to as the Flying Saucer Plate.  Ugly color for a plate, whatever you call that greyish blue.  I agree that the pink ribbon one isn't very pretty either, but at least it has some real color on it.  I miss the wheat plates.

Incidentally, there are still quite a few 2002 plates still in active circulation...

At the beginning of May, the title and registration offices across the state were shut down so that a new registration system could go live. The new system apparantly prints the decals on the fly. Instead of  a decal number, the renewal sticker has its assigned plate number thermal-printed on the decal itself, along with the expiration month. There is a small "KS 2013" at the top of the new stickers, but the decals themselves remain color coded (2012 is black on light green, 2013 is black on yellow)

Registration expiration is done on the basis of your last name. Thus, the Treasurer's office still processes some new registrations that have an initial expiration in 2012.

The transition to the new system, unfortunately, was very rough - The Johnson County DMV had to stop accepting new customers at 11 on some days, and there was quite a bit of overtime involved.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: route56 on July 21, 2012, 12:46:18 AM
Quote from: kphoger on May 09, 2012, 05:00:05 PM
What people around here sometimes refer to as the Flying Saucer Plate.  Ugly color for a plate, whatever you call that greyish blue.  I agree that the pink ribbon one isn't very pretty either, but at least it has some real color on it.  I miss the wheat plates.

Incidentally, there are still quite a few 2002 plates still in active circulation...

At the beginning of May, the title and registration offices across the state were shut down so that a new registration system could go live. The new system apparantly prints the decals on the fly. Instead of  a decal number, the renewal sticker has its assigned plate number thermal-printed on the decal itself, along with the expiration month. There is a small "KS 2013" at the top of the new stickers, but the decals themselves remain color coded (2012 is black on light green, 2013 is black on yellow)

Registration expiration is done on the basis of your last name. Thus, the Treasurer's office still processes some new registrations that have an initial expiration in 2012.

The transition to the new system, unfortunately, was very rough - The Johnson County DMV had to stop accepting new customers at 11 on some days, and there was quite a bit of overtime involved.
Does Kansas make you renew your plates in person, as opposed to by mail or on-line? That would be very inconvenient.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

route56

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on July 21, 2012, 01:08:54 PM
Does Kansas make you renew your plates in person, as opposed to by mail or on-line? That would be very inconvenient.

There is a renewal by web/mail option available.

I still have to take care of my car the old fashioned way. My battle cruiser dropped the transmission back in March. I finally got rid of it a bought a replacement. Once I've got the insurance card ready for "Little Red," I'll be making a beeline for Oskaloosa to officially transfer my "ROUTE56" vanity plate.

R.P.K.

J N Winkler

I dislike the current Kansas vanity plate--it is a sunset plate and very derivative of a regular-issue Indiana plate design from about ten years ago.  Bring back the female buffalo!

I don't like the current regular-issue Kansas plate either; it is a lot worse than the one immediately preceding, which is a faded-out rendering of the state capitol which nevertheless has more color.  I don't think Kansas has had a good regular-issue plate since the wheat plates.

I also dislike Kansas' current practice of retiring the numbers that were issued prior to each changeover in license plate design.  The number pool is not deep enough to allow numbers to be wasted in this way, and Kansas has already had to change from letter group first to number group first because it has run out of available numbers with the letter group first.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

route56

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 21, 2012, 02:09:28 PM
I also dislike Kansas' current practice of retiring the numbers that were issued prior to each changeover in license plate design.  The number pool is not deep enough to allow numbers to be wasted in this way, and Kansas has already had to change from letter group first to number group first because it has run out of available numbers with the letter group first.

As I have mentioned, that practice seems to have ended with the adaptation of the new system. As mentioned above, there are still some 2002 plates still in circulation.

R.P.K.

kphoger

Quote from: route56 on July 21, 2012, 12:46:18 AM
The transition to the new system, unfortunately, was very rough . . .

No kidding.  Our letter to renew was sent to where we lived two houses ago.  Fortunately, that also happens to be my parents' house, so they were able to hand it to us directly.

Quote from: route56 on July 21, 2012, 01:26:50 PM
Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on July 21, 2012, 01:08:54 PM

There is a renewal by web/mail option available.

This has become an important consideration for us lately.  Our car is almost nine years old now; meanwhile, we are looking at what steps need to be taken to move to México.  Registring/importing a car in México is a lot cheaper if it's at least ten years old, which means we've been thinking a lot about what kind of car we would buy next.  Not having to come to the DMV in Kansas every year would make keeping our car registered here more of an attractive option.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: route56 on July 21, 2012, 02:29:49 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on July 21, 2012, 02:09:28 PMI also dislike Kansas' current practice of retiring the numbers that were issued prior to each changeover in license plate design.  The number pool is not deep enough to allow numbers to be wasted in this way, and Kansas has already had to change from letter group first to number group first because it has run out of available numbers with the letter group first.

As I have mentioned, that practice seems to have ended with the adoption of the new system. As mentioned above, there are still some 2002 plates still in circulation.

If the state is now allowing Capitol plates to remain with a vehicle until it is sold or transferred, then that amounts to a partial phasing-out of a system that arguably should never have been adopted in the first place.

In regard to renewal, we have always done ours by mail.  The Sedgwick County tag office is notorious for long queues and in fact has (or at any rate used to have) an old framed black-and-white photograph, taken in the 1960's, showing a queue trailing out of the tag office and wrapping around a block which showed signs of being cleared in anticipation "of the inner loop freeway" (which was cancelled in 1976).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.