News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Worst possible freeway removal in each city?

Started by hotdogPi, December 05, 2019, 07:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: HighwayStar on June 01, 2021, 02:23:31 PM
Any freeway removal is unacceptable.  :banghead:
Not a fan of many removals, but there are select scenarios where a freeway removal is a good idea.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SkyPesos

Even ones encircling a rust belt city's downtown that three people use per day?

jmacswimmer

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 01, 2021, 02:32:38 PM
Or this?
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

HighwayStar

I would consider that especially unacceptable as it is contrary to what should be the goal, namely re-industrializing the Rustbelt.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

HighwayStar

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 01, 2021, 02:35:19 PM
Or this?

Again, I consider removing that one particularly bad, as it would be key to finishing I-70 into Baltimore as designed.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

hotdogPi

Or this?

How is that any different from US 1 in Newburyport, MA?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: HighwayStar on June 01, 2021, 02:37:12 PM
Or this?

Again, I consider removing that one particularly bad, as it would be key to finishing I-70 into Baltimore as designed.
Oh no

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

stevashe

Or this?

Actually, it was supposed to be a part of I-170. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_170_(Maryland)

If the possibility of the freeway being finished one day were greater than 0%, I'd agree. But that is not the case so might as well remove it imo.

hotdogPi

It's not harming anything. The grid above it has very few gaps. What's the point of removing it, since it's already there?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

edwaleni

Quote from: 1 on June 01, 2021, 03:07:01 PM
It's not harming anything. The grid above it has very few gaps. What's the point of removing it, since it's already there?

It won't be removed. But it won't be extended.

The endpoint was never finished (Gwynns Falls Expressway) where I-70 ends at I-95. (ghost ramps at I-95 still there)

Therefore it will remain as is.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: 1 on June 01, 2021, 02:38:06 PM
Or this?
How is that any different from US 1 in Newburyport, MA?

Several reasons from what I can tell:

-US 1 in Newburyport appears to be fully built out as originally proposed
-Continues directly into US 1's continuing alignment to the north (including the bridge over the Merrimack River)
-Doesn't terminate at the same streets on both sides
-Goes across the entirety of Downtown Newburyport as opposed to a few blocks west of Downtown Baltimore

Quote from: stevashe on June 01, 2021, 02:58:58 PM
Actually, it was supposed to be a part of I-170. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_170_(Maryland)

If the possibility of the freeway being finished one day were greater than 0%, I'd agree. But that is not the case so might as well remove it imo.

Agreed - hypothetically it'd be great to have I-70 & I-170 fully built out, but I don't see that ever happening.

Quote from: 1 on June 01, 2021, 03:07:01 PM

Probably no point this very second, but once the bridges on that segment reach the point of requiring extensive repairs and/or replacement, Baltimore DOT might be motivated to remove if they feel the improvements aren't worth the cost.  I believe they already removed some ghost ramps & stubs at the west end within the past decade (with additional parking for the West Baltimore MARC station added at the same time).
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Evan_Th

For Seattle, the worst part would be removing I-5 - specifically, the part between UW and downtown.  There's no other freeway connection there (except for the sort-of-freeway SR 99, but that's well west and empties onto local streets), and there're really only three parallel surface roads which're already at capacity with local traffic.  Plus, you've got the SR 520 Lake Washington Bridge emptying into that freeway without any remotely-reasonable local alternative.

Removing either of the bridges would also be pretty bad, but traffic has managed before with one of them closed.  I-5 south of downtown might be bad too, but there you've got SR 99 as a great alternative feeding into more freeway.

Flint1979

Not sure of the worst one for Detroit. I-75, 94 and 96 all are very busy. We could do without I-375 though and MDOT agrees

jakeroot

Quote from: TEG24601 on May 31, 2021, 10:34:20 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 07, 2019, 04:30:35 AM
I (and many others) look at cities like Vancouver or Christchurch, where there are no motorways chugging through town, as to how density and liveability can be achieved without freeways. But for those cities that did look to freeways in the 50s to 80s, the rest of the city (and indeed metro area) have been slowly modified to respond to this new infrastructure. Seattle was lovely without I-5, I'm sure. But the number of obstacles involved with removing a freeway, at least an important cross-country one such as this, are just too many in number to actually consider removal as a serious option.

Vancouver is a horrible example.  Vancouver routinely ranks in the top 3 for worst commute in North America, for almost 10 years it had the worst traffic in North America, if not the world.  The only viable way to not have a freeway downtown is to have extensive, grade separated transit.  In order for cities to not be gridlocked, even with transit, you must have a grade separated roadway to get cars and trucks into and out of the city, without clogging residential streets or relying on froads (which are worse in my opinion than freeways).

I don't understand the logic of your conclusion. If Vancouver's lack of a serious freeway network was responsible for their traffic woes, it stands to reason cities like Los Angeles or Atlanta should have incredibly good traffic flow ... but they don't, at all.

The problem seems to be lack of demand where it's desired: LA or Atlanta have serious traffic flow because demand continues to outstrip lane capacity. In Vancouver, you have similar levels of demand (maybe the most, but not by a big margin), particularly from suburban areas like Surrey, Coquitlam, or Delta, but with substantially less lane miles of freeway. In essence, they have created similar demand for roadway capacity as most North American metro areas, but with much less lane mileage.

Taking into account Vancouver's excellent non-car transit network (bus + SkyTrain + SeaBus + cable cars (soon) et al), you have to give it up to them: pretty crappy traffic, but not way worse, and with a lot less roadway capacity and a lot more non-car options.

For the record: traffic congestion in Vancouver is certainly apparent, but this whole "worst in North America" business doesn't sit with me. It's never struck me as any worse than Seattle.

vdeane

LA and Atlanta are also a lot larger than Vancouver.  Though it's worth noting that Vancouver isn't the only Canadian city to have more congestion than similarly sized cities in the US.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

In_Correct

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: In_Correct on June 03, 2021, 12:52:39 AM
Freeway removals are unnecessary.

That is a knee-jerk reaction to myriad of scenarios that could otherwise prove beneficial.  I thought why would you want to remove a freeway after spending the money until I understood that there may be a scenario or two.  I do not buy into the greener pastures theory.

JoePCool14

I think for Chicago getting rid of I-90/I-94 from the merge to downtown on the north side would be the worst removal, more so than Lake Shore Drive. LSD is still critical, just that the Kennedy Expy is more critical.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

texaskdog

In Austin I-35, which they are desparately trying to remove two decks to bury.

texaskdog

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 03, 2021, 07:32:50 AM

That is a knee-jerk reaction to myriad of scenarios that could otherwise prove beneficial.  I thought why would you want to remove a freeway after spending the money until I understood that there may be a scenario or two.  I do not buy into the greener pastures theory.

Many of these same cities are attempting to defund police as well.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: texaskdog on June 03, 2021, 09:03:02 AM

dkblake

Removing the Cross Bronx would probably be the worst for NYC and the northeast in general.
2dis clinched: 8, 17, 69(original), 71, 72, 78, 81, 84(E), 86(E), 88(E), 89, 91, 93, 97

Mob-rule: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/dblake.gif

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: dkblake on June 03, 2021, 12:10:37 PM
Removing the Cross Bronx would probably be the worst for NYC and the northeast in general.
Lots of people think that it shouldn't have ever been built but at this point it's too important to remove.

index

Quote from: texaskdog on June 03, 2021, 09:03:02 AM

Are you trying to get the thread locked? Randomly injecting irrelevant politics into a discussion about infrastructure is pretty childish behavior.

Even ones encircling a rust belt city’s downtown that three people use per day?
Or this?

That's the same mentality that hoarders use to justify keeping random stuff in their house. Baltimore doesn't want nor does it need the original freeway plans for the area. You have to look at the world through a practical and pragmatic perspective, not a roadgeek perspective.

Plus, with the other rust belt response, the rust belt will not need its vestigial freeways when it revitalizes. Those freeways served a different time and a different purpose in an area with a different character than it has today, all for something that was, in hindsight, headed toward collapse, but nobody could've seen it coming.

Rust belt towns that are revitalizing are doing so by opening up downtown, refurbishing historic structures, and more, and part of that process is freeway removal. They have to adapt because the industrial ways of old aren't viable anymore. It's long gone and likely will not be coming back in the way it existed in the past. The way it was done simply isn't profitable anymore. Manufacturing in America today isn't the same as manufacturing in the 40s-80s for a reason.

The urban decay/miserable looks and grittiness brought on by those things, in combination with the pollution and decaying industry is part of why the core of those cities declined. Tourism and local visitors don't see the city and bring it money by car, they want to stop downtown, shop, eat, and walk in a park. If people want to rent out a new apartment made out of an old building, they don't want a freeway tearing through and making noise right by them. If everything is done by car in downtown, you don't get that. If freeways can't be removed, their presence should be reduced by a highway lid.

Imagine for a moment you're starting a business and you want the life and pull a downtown can give for one. You're trying to capitalize on what could be a revitalization of a decaying rust belt city. Now, imagine if the downtown nearest to you was like how Houston was in the 1970s, where two-thirds of the downtown was made out of parking lots. Is that somewhere you'd want your business? In order for the life to come back, those things have to change.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on June 02, 2021, 09:14:21 PM
LA and Atlanta are also a lot larger than Vancouver.  Though it's worth noting that Vancouver isn't the only Canadian city to have more congestion than similarly sized cities in the US.

Winnipeg is another example, at least for its size.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.